PDA

View Full Version : When to stop Collectiong

Jerome
03-29-2004, 08:08 AM
Hello all
My weather has not got below frezzing for the last two nights,but very close. I do not see the buds opening yet but I am not getting very much sap. Is it time to pull the taps or just wait out this warm spell it is suspose to go back down below frezzing on Friday.
Thanks in advance
Jerome

Salmoneye
03-29-2004, 11:26 AM
My last boil last year was 4/14...

mapleman3
03-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Wednesday... thats when...

ok maybe for me, I'm shooting for this wed. last day of March. I will collect and pull taps of all the buckets. then on the weekend I will pull the taps for tubing, week after that, clean tubing.

WF MASON
03-30-2004, 04:21 AM
Did you ever see the cartoon picture of the guy with his butt way back behind him ? And the caption reads 'Draggin A&#', that guy was going to pull his buckets.

Seibold's Sugarhouse
03-28-2005, 07:02 PM
I just got done collecting what I think will be the last run. The past two years I normally collect until the sap gets a faint yellow color. However I also have since realized that I don't make much grade B. Am I quiting to early? Should I boil the faint yellow sap instead of dumping it?
Thanks,
Jason

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-28-2005, 07:11 PM
I would say boil it unless you have enough syrup this year. Some of the yellow tint may be rain water even. I don't normally ever dump sap and I boiled some last year that didn't look very good or smell the best, but it still made good syrup. :?

mapleman3
03-28-2005, 07:11 PM
doesn't hurt to try, I have never gone into the buddy syrup yet, I'm usually burnt out by then, and probably won't this year either due to being on oil and may not be worth doing so. and looking at a few posts back I was just about done this time last year.. go figure, it's only been 3 weeks this year :?