PDA

View Full Version : replacing pan sections

SUGARSMITH
02-23-2008, 06:09 AM
In the far right back corner of my front pan I got it a little hot and on the bottom it buckled. Its about an area 19" wide by 12". What are the thoughts that this might be able to cut out and have a new piece tigged in, anbody ever try this ?

gmcooper
02-23-2008, 06:54 AM
My thought would be your better off with the warped bottom than a patch. The process of cutting out and welding in a new section could cause even more warping. Others may have other ideas. Some one might have a good idea on how to smooth out the bottom with out causing further damage?

ibby458
02-23-2008, 06:57 AM
I'm sure a good welder could do it, but try getting a body man to shrink it first. I've heard (but not seen) that you can heat it with a propane torch, then blast it with a CO2 extinguisher to shrink it back. Some tapping with a body hammer should take care of the rest.

I suppose a lot depends on if it's galvanized or stainless, welded or soldered. Unless it leaks, you can also just ignore it and run your pan a bit deeper.

SeanD
02-23-2008, 08:06 AM
The bottom of my flat pan has a gentle bow in it so that the center of the pan is about a 1/2" higher than the outside edges. I can push down with my finger and make it "pop" flat, but it bounces right back up again - almost like a safety cap on a juice bottle, but bigger.

I was thinking of wrapping a cinder block in a towel and resting it over the middle of the pan for the night to see if I can bend it straight. After reading this thread, though I'm wondering if this is pointless or a bad idea.

I should mention it's a 2x3 pan with pretty thick stainless - 18 ga. I think.

Mike
02-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Ill let you know after the season....I have a few welders ive been talking to about cutting the whole bottom out and replacing it with a new one....My pan is 3x3.....If not there suppose to give me a price on making a new one....Hopefully cheaper than the $1000 + the dealers want....

SapSuckers
02-24-2008, 06:54 PM
my pan is very warpped on the entire bottom. The only way to combat this is to run my pan deep and finish on a seperate pan. I also thought of the idea of having a skilled welder cut the bottom off and weld a new one on, but i have heard nothing but negative input on that idea. let me know if you are still considering doing that and what other people are saying

lpakiz
02-24-2008, 10:36 PM
I did see with my own eyes, a body man shrink a panel of sheet metal on the rear of a truck cab. I too could push the metal one way or the other and have it stay put.
He used a acetylene torch and a soaking wet shop rag. About 20 minutes and it was tight as a bass drum...
Why not ask at the body shop?

Larry