PDA

View Full Version : Hand pump filter press

Yorkholomaple
02-22-2008, 01:04 PM
My shack is out in the woods and i dont have any power and i was thinking for next year getting a press and wondered what everyone thought of the hand pump presses? Do they work well or would it just be better to take the syrup back to the house and get an electric press? I know nothing about presses so any suggestions would be great. Thanks Tom

Mike
02-22-2008, 02:41 PM
If you don't get a hand press have you thought about a small generator? I have a 2500 watt Honda and it can run lights,evaporator and my press....It uses very little gas and sure is nice ti have good lights when your boiling...I use the honda when im not using my 15,000 watt to run the whole show...Just my 2 cents worth....

Yorkholomaple
02-22-2008, 04:14 PM
If you don't get a hand press have you thought about a small generator? I have a 2500 watt Honda and it can run lights,evaporator and my press....It uses very little gas and sure is nice ti have good lights when your boiling...I use the honda when im not using my 15,000 watt to run the whole show...Just my 2 cents worth....

Mike, my dad and i have been thinking about that to. He would like to get a generator that we could use to do stuff like run everything in the shack, run different power tools where ever were working etc. He has been wanting to talk to someone who has one to see what they think. Could yours do everything i mentioned and is it quiet. Thanks Tom

royalmaple
02-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Those new hondas are quieter than an electric razor.

Amazing, you hardly know they are running. And they have a power save mode. Really great, little expensive but handy for sure, and light weight.

Mike
02-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Royal's right! They are quite and dont use a lot of gas....I bought mine used from a couple who bought it for the ice storm we had a few yrs back..Had less than 4 hrs on it..Id say 2500 watts would do you fine or a tad bigger.....I keep mine chained to a tank when not using it, we also use it for our deer camp which is right next to the sugar house.....Its nice to watch a 19" color TV versus a 12" black and white....

syrupman
02-27-2008, 08:46 AM
Mike
I am interested in maybe getting a 2500 watt Honda generator for my sugarhouse after reading your message.
Could you please tell me about how much they cost, how much they weigh, and possibly the best place to buy one??

Syrupman

Mike
02-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Syrupman, New there around $900-$1000 or so.......Mines an older model but it runs great.....I would look at yamaha also......Quite and cheap to run....If I see a used one for sale Ill let ya know.....Northern Tools sells them and there prices arent all that bad...If you burn wood a 2500 watt would be great for you.....It will run a press and everything else you'll need.......Mike

syrupman
02-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at the Yamaha's. All I want it for is lights and small hand tools. I don't have a filter press.