PDA

View Full Version : brix vs temperature

markct
02-21-2008, 06:03 PM
so on a hydrometer there is a line to test at 211 and at 60 degrees, is there a chart or formula for other temps in between? like say ya want to check it at bottling temperature, or any other temp for that matter

royalmaple
02-21-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm not sure if you can still get them, but the vermont handbook has all the density's from basically 60 degrees on up. I can look and post them later, but the hand book is nice to have for other information as well.

Russell Lampron
02-21-2008, 06:24 PM
I have a laminated card that has a chart on it that I got from the NH Maple Producers Association meeting last year. I only grabbed one and was hoping to get more this year but they didn't have more.

If anyone knows where these can be had let me know. They are real handy when canning and unlike some charts that I have seen they give Brix degrees for temps in the canning range.

Russ

tapper
02-21-2008, 06:55 PM
I have this chart but cant figure out how to post it so it is large enough to be seen

Dave Y
02-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Take a picture of it with your digital camera. then post it to you web album

Homestead Maple
02-21-2008, 08:13 PM
May not be clear enough.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-21-2008, 09:13 PM
I take hundreds and sometimes over 1,000 digital pictures each week and have for about 10 years. You can take the camera and zoom in on 1/2 of the page and get as close up as possible and do one for top 1/2 and one for bottom 1/2 of page.

mountainvan
02-21-2008, 09:29 PM
the scale is in the north american maple producers manual. I take it you're asking for what to add or subtract to the hydrometer reading depending on the temperature of the syrup being tested

Dave Y
02-22-2008, 05:31 AM
Yes, it is in the maple producers manual. However some members may not own one. Homesteads pics are clear enough for my old eyes to read. So all you young bucks and does should be able to read it well enough to copy. Also you can see where it was printed if you would like to get one!

maple flats
02-22-2008, 06:23 AM
Another place to get one is to buy the accu cup from the Maple Guys, it comes with a laminated chart. This unit has the thermometer built into the cup and takes a reading of temp and you compare the hydrometer reading at the exact temp for better accuracy. Ask our sponser for an info or spec sheet. I really like mine.

802maple
02-22-2008, 06:47 AM
Call me cheap but I have about 30 of the plastic cards left with that and some other info on it that you can hang on your wall. If you send me a regular letter size envelope stamped and with your address I will send it to you and anyone else that wants one until I run out at no other charge.

Jerry Masterson
282 Masterson Road
Lincoln,Vt. 05443

Dennis H.
02-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Ok, I read this post and decided I would try and help here. I took a little time and made up a chart.

This is for a 60 degree F Hydrometer. You add values that are preceded by a (+) and subtract values preceded by a (-).

I hope I got all the values right in the chart, please someone double check my work I would hate to have given someone wrong info.

SBClorite
02-22-2008, 02:25 PM
I did a google search titled "maple syrup hydrometer chart" and found this website has one that goes from freezing to boiling. It was the second site of the google search.
Scroll down to below table 2 for the better chart.

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/05-019.htm#measuring

We got the laminated chart listed below from Vicky Smith of the NH Dept. of Agriculture when we became State certified. She gave us a couple.
You can email her at vsmith@agr.state.nh.us, or check with your local govt, or universities.