PDA

View Full Version : source for reasonably priced long digital thermometers

markct
02-21-2008, 02:37 PM
i just thought i would let you guys know i found mcmaster carr sells a 12 inch stem digital thermometer for 26 bucks, alot cheaper than the ones most of the cooking and maple places have them. i had a 5 inch stem cooking thermometer that worked great for syrup and bottling but ya had to hold it with a long wire and try and read it thru the steam. i ordered one of these from mcmaster carr last week and it works great! just go to there website and search for digital thermometer

Fred Henderson
02-21-2008, 03:23 PM
I looked at thier site and I got one that is like "G". I got it last year from my Leader dealer for 40 bucks.

VtSugarhouse
02-21-2008, 04:04 PM
The low priced digital thermometers from Leader are not accurate. The last time I was at the Leader facility they had a pile of used returned digital thermometers.
The Vermont Dept of Agriculture has just found a supplier for accurate digital thermometers since the accurate mercury filled thermometers are illegal to sell in this state.(since Jan 1, 2007) Since I live in Vermont I have my name on the list to purchase one of these new accurate digital thermometers. (cost to be approx. $100.00 to $150.00 we were led to believe)
Many maple suppliers have accurate ones for $600.00 to $1,500.00 but this is a lot of money.
However you need a very accurate thermometer for making cream, one degree makes a difference.

If I find out where to get these low priced accurate digital thermometers I will pass the information on.

markct
02-21-2008, 04:36 PM
wow yea thats alot for a super accurate thermometer, i am not trying to do anything fancy like cream here i wasnt implying that these were super accurate or anything, just that they were reasonably priced for an ok thermometer, and checked against my short stem digital thermometer, also just a cooking store thermometer, they seemed to match up exactly with the tips side by side in the pan, of course they could both be off, but they seem to be working well for my basic needs so just figured i would pass this along

lpakiz
02-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Has anyone here tried an IR thermometer? They read temp to .1 degree without touching the target. Some use a laser beam to verify the target.
Saw them in a machine tool catalog for around $90 . I think racers use them for tire temps too. I just wonder if the boiling action would interfere with their reading ability...

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-21-2008, 09:10 PM
I don't think they work very good for syrup because of steam which distorts reading.

jemsklein
02-22-2008, 05:32 AM
ok i bought a Digital Thermometer K-type on ebay for $10 including shipping here is one $25 here is the number 230224145766 it is a double k type wich means it can take 2 readings at the same time accuracy with in 0.1°C then you need to but the probe and here is a number for that 200128328920 this Digital Thermometer K-type is cheap and will work very well

The Sappy Steamer
02-22-2008, 06:04 AM
I just got one from Bascom's for $25.00 yesturday. It's got a 7 inch probe with a 43 inch metal wire. It also has an alarm. Looks pretty good, but I don't know how accurate it is. I just wanted it to monitor the temp. in my syrup pan, but not to draw off. It's made in China, so you know it's the finest money can buy.

Fred Henderson
02-22-2008, 08:42 AM
I agree that the digital only tells me when I am getting close. I always make syrup by the hydrometer.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-22-2008, 10:30 AM
In the maple news, it was indicated that the VT Association was providing free thermometers in exchange for trading in the old mercury thermometers.

VtSugarhouse
02-22-2008, 10:49 AM
That is correct West Virginia. They were supposed to be out months ago but no manufacturer could come up with a alcohol based thermometer which was accurate. Consequently Henry Mackres with the Vt. Dept. of Ag. Has found an accurate digital thermometer that if you trade in your mercury filled thermometer they will give you a digital one.
It is still not illegal to use a mercury filled thermometer and I am still going to use mine. I make at least 1,000 lbs of maple cream a year and it is very accurate. I do plan on purchasing the new digital one from the Dept. of Ag as soon as they become available. They hope these are going to be available for the 2008 Vt Maplerama in Tunbridge Vt. This is where they will exchange the thermometers.

Jim Powell
02-22-2008, 11:00 AM
I just bought an 8" from Omega for $23. I forgot all about McMaster, Thanks.

I know exactly what you mean about the steam. I've looked into the wireless ones, but haven't really found one yet.