PDA

View Full Version : Tapping in Putnam co. in.

Webers sugar camp
02-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Brother and I have for the past several years been moving back our tap date. We used to try to be tapped out the end of the first or the start of the second week of feb. We tapped out last year on the 18 Feb. and had our best year ever. This year we are going to try to get the taps in on Friday and Saturday next.

The thought is that to have the holes fresh for our best runs that come in early mmarch and forego the mid feb runs which are usually short and hard to manage..

Webers Sugar Camp
Webersmaple@yahoo
700 taps/ 3x12 Leader Vermont

DougM
02-22-2008, 03:18 PM
That may not be a bad idea. We got 400 gallons from 130 taps on the 9th, but not much last week and only about 80 on Monday this week. So far we've only made 6 gallons. We have some sap on the trees, but aren't expecting to do much tomorrow.

We were just talking today about how it may run late since the weather has been so cold...if it does our holes will have been in over a month so they may dry up. Waiting may not be a bad idea. Please let me know how it goes.

We're just east of you in Hendricks County, a little north of Coatesville.

Doug

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Doug,

If it has been cold, your holes should be fine. It's the warm that dries them up, the cold don't hurt them much.

Hope you get a bunch more sap!

DougM
02-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Brandon, that's what I'm hoping for.

We keep having 1-2 days of warm & 3-5 of cold. Same this week. It barely got above freezing yesterday so the trees only ran a little. Today it was hi 30's but cloudy. Tomorrow & Tuesday are supposed to be low 40's but Wed. back below freezing all day...hard to get things going that way.

Doug

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Doug,

Good thing is that those cool temps above freezing is not what hurts the holes, it is the warm sunny days upper 40's, 50's and 60's temps that really wreak havoc on them.