PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Fiber...read on

DavyJones
02-20-2008, 07:06 AM
I hope I am not out of line here but after talking to one of the members he's suggested I line my homemade evaporator with the ceramic fiber blank material. I found some on ebay pretty reasonable but they want $95 for 25' of the 1" 2300 degree 8#. Thats ok with me but I'm only going to need about 10' of it to line my evaporator. The person that is selling it appears to be in the next town over from me so they are maybe 10 miles away. I'm checking with them to see if they want to sell it to me by the foot or perhaps half a roll, I am also checking to see if I can just go pick it up since I probably drive past the place everyday on my way to work.

If they don't want to go for it I would get the entire roll would anyone be interested in buying the remaining 15'?
If he's going to insist on charging me the shipping it would work out to 4.60/foot. If I can pick it up it would be 3.80/foot. If your local we could meet for the exchange otherwise I would only charge whatever it cost me to ship it to you. Again I hope I am not out of line asking everyone this in this forum just trying to help myslef and others if I can.

P.S. I did check with one other fellow if he wants the other half but haven't heard back from him yet. I have to give him the first option but if he doesn't want it and someone here does I'll make the deal with the first person that wants to deal.

Thanks
David

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8286675965&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

325abn
02-20-2008, 07:19 AM
Seems that i bought my roll of 2" 25ft for about the same price. Are you sure its the 1" stuff?

I suggest you buy the whole roll you will need more than you think. Any left over will come in handy to seal up leaks in your arch and it makes great pan gasket.

325abn
02-20-2008, 07:21 AM
The stuff in the picture looks like its more than 1" thick.

DavyJones
02-20-2008, 07:37 AM
I am not sure that person has not contacted me back yet I'll make sure it's the 1" stuff thats what I am looking for. I was thinking of getting that entire roll instead of just the 10' I think I need. I'll get rid of whatever is left over at whatever the cost is I don't want to make any money on this stuff and I don't need anything else stacked up in my garage from previous projects.

Thanks for the idea making the pan gasket with this I didn't consider that until you mentioned it. I was going to get some flat door gasket locally but if this would work might save me a couple of $$$

Thanks
David

The stuff in the picture looks like its more than 1" thick.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-20-2008, 07:45 AM
Buy the entire box, you will find many other uses for it down the road and it will last forever. Cut it in strips and it makes good pan gaskets, good hole fillers, and the list is endless.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-20-2008, 07:47 AM
If you insist on buying less, check this out and see if you can buy two of these for 1 shipping price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ceramic-Fiber-Blanket-8-density-1-x-24-x-5-10-sf_W0QQitemZ140207493304QQihZ004QQcategoryZ28124QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

DavyJones
02-20-2008, 07:51 AM
If you insist on buying less, check this out and see if you can buy two of these for 1 shipping price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ceramic-Fiber-Blanket-8-density-1-x-24-x-5-10-sf_W0QQitemZ140207493304QQihZ004QQcategoryZ28124QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

hmmmm might just do that. Then again the advice is overwhelming to get the entire box so I'm leaning towards that. Also it looks like the guy that is selling this 25' roll is local I'm hoping I can pick it up today because I am ready for it.

Thanks

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-20-2008, 07:53 AM
The price will only go up and if you plan on sugaring for any length of time, you will find plenty of uses for the remainder of the box over time. I insulate my rafters with it and everything close to the stack.

DavyJones
02-20-2008, 07:59 AM
The price will only go up and if you plan on sugaring for any length of time, you will find plenty of uses for the remainder of the box over time. I insulate my rafters with it and everything close to the stack.

I'm glad I'm getting reminded of these things. I tend to just look at what I need right now not what I could use a few days from now. I am 100% you are correct I would get my 10' and about a week from now I'd be saying to myself I should have bought that entire box. I'm hoping he'll come down on the price a little since his 2" is priced the same as the 1". Hopefully he'll sell the 1" stuff a little cheaper that is what the dimensions of my evaporator will use.
I've never worked with this stuff before would it be out of the quesiton that since I need 1" and his 2" stuff costs the same as his 1" could if be possible to cut the 2" stuff in half? I'd get 50' instead of 25'. I've cut some pretty big pieces of fiberglass pretty much right in half with scissors.

Thanks again
David

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-20-2008, 08:01 AM
More than likely the 2" stuff would only be 12.5 feet long or half the amount as that is the way they normally sell it. 2" = 25 square feet, 1" = 50 square feet and it comes out to the same weight. Just like doubling the 1".

I did check his listing and it is the way it is sold, as I listed above.

DavyJones
02-20-2008, 08:09 AM
More than likely the 2" stuff would only be 12.5 feet long or half the amount as that is the way they normally sell it. 2" = 25 square feet, 1" = 50 square feet and it comes out to the same weight. Just like doubling the 1".

I did check his listing and it is the way it is sold, as I listed above.

Yep I did too shoot I missed that

DavyJones
02-20-2008, 08:33 AM
I just talked with the guy and bought the entire roll of the 1" stuff. Thanks for the advice

David

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-20-2008, 08:45 AM
Good luck with this upcoming season.

The ceramic blanket is wonderful stuff and has lots of good uses!

Jim Powell
02-26-2008, 12:10 AM
Davey,

I've looked at your 2006 &2007 photos. What exactly are you going to do with this stuff? Is this on something that isn't in the photos?

Jim Powell
02-26-2008, 12:12 AM
never mind, I found your other photos.

tapper
02-26-2008, 06:31 AM
I used 1" ceramic blanket to line the inside of 30" x 8' stainless arch before bricking. Without it the stainless would now be blue from the heat. 1 roll gave me just enough to line the arch, make a pan gasket and rail gaskets with just a few small scraps leftover. I go along with the other replies you will eventually use it.