PDA

View Full Version : Snowshoes

dkr
02-20-2008, 04:33 AM
What is everyone using for snowshoes,I went in the woods today in and we have almost 4 feet of snow so I'm thinking I will need a pair of snowshoes to get the tapping and collecting done.Dick

maple flats
02-20-2008, 06:52 AM
When I need them I use michigan style because that is what I have 2 pr of. If you are buying i suggest a bearpaw type such as a tubbs or similar, easier to turn with.

hard maple
02-20-2008, 08:15 AM
I just bought a new set of tubbs with the metal cleats on bottom.
They work great. Also they were a discontinued model, the price was around 80$

royalmaple
02-20-2008, 08:19 AM
I use bear paws, just cause I have a couple pairs. We use to use them beaver trapping all the time, they allow you to move more freely and turn sharper. THey work well for sugaring too since you tend to have to move around in the tight spaces in the woods.

I'd stay away from the longer cruiser models only for the turning reason and agility.

The new aluminum shoes are great with the crampons on the bottom. I just don't have any but when I buy a new pair that is what I am getting.

peacemaker
02-20-2008, 08:28 AM
i agree with all rounded back and as short as you can ... and if u never been on a pair go play on them for a day before you try to head in and work on them because u will fall and fall again and even when u do get good at it lol u still will fall ..

but they are fun and the way to go

maplecrest
02-20-2008, 08:38 AM
as stated in other threads if you contact tubbs and ask about rentals or loaners for sale you can get a new pair for around 60 dollars compared to 300 in a store

dkr
02-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the help, I was looking on ebay and found some that look like what everyone is discribing

ennismaple
02-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Definitely a bear paw style. Working on a slope in and around sapplings is tough enough without the long tail. You'll spend some time on your side/back/face while you get used to moving around in them. I found that I twisted out of the straps on ours if I need to move laterally or turned too fast. A piece of bailer twine tied to the strap and then around your ankle fixed that problem pretty fast.

The first time you break a trail with the shoes the going is still tough but not as bad as sinking up to your crotch. Every time you go down that same trail the going gets easier until it's like walking down the sidewalk (almost).

Pete33Vt
02-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Thats right, tubbs are the way to go if your buying. I know last year we would dare walk into the woods without them. This year its a day to day thing. Right know hardly any snow, tomorrow ? . With us everyday we tried to walk alittle to the left or right of the day before next thing you know you got a really good runway and can really scoot around.

twigbender
02-20-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm from the old school on this issue. But only for my own use. If it ain't ash and rawhide, I don't much care to put it on my feet. However, I work with a number of people that have made the switch to aluminum/magnesium snowshoes and they all rave about them. The preference around these parts are the Tubbs. They have the solid reputation of having made them for decades and the bindings that come with the new ones are very good. So, I'd say that the consensus here is definitely the Tubbs and you can get them in about a 9" x 30" model which should allow you to move around pretty good in tight spots.

Snowshoes are a lifesaver in deep snow, but the thing I like best about snowshoes is the feeling of taking them off!

DS Maple
02-20-2008, 07:09 PM
I use Atlas brand snowshoes and have had pretty good luck with them. The bindings are much easier to use than other brands I have seen. Also, they are still made in the USA, if this matters much to you. I know Tubbs is the big name in snowshoes, but sometime in the last few years they shifted all of their production overseas to China I think.