PDA

View Full Version : Maple creek 2008

Parker
02-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Weather got up to 49 deg. today with rain,,,hrd to keep pulling hitches knowing its runninging,smelled like sugaring season,,,,,time to start all things maple in a serious fashion,,,,,plow out tanks,,walk lines,,,,set up pumps,,get adaptors,,much to do,,,,,,,,will try to be tapped out by 3-1-08,,,,will start watching the forcast closer,,,,,,,,,,early for me just yet.....last boil last year was 4-23-07...........but sure I would be making a barrel or two tonight if I were tapped.......................PRIORITIES

Sugarmaker
02-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Parker,
Sounds like you have a pile of work to do. Keep us up to date on those 2000 taps.

Chris

Parker
02-21-2008, 04:26 AM
OOHHHH MMMMYYYYY,,,,,,I went over to Rte.11 yesterday afternoon,strapped on the snow shoes and took a hike,,,the snow is up to most of the mainlines and a lot of the lateral lines,,,I dug some of the lines out of the snow,,,,was about 3' deep,,,deeper in spots,,,,I know it is deeper in Hill,,,,I will do the littel I can to get ready with this deep snow but here I would like to see it settel a littel befor I do too much more in the woods,,,will start getting the sugarhouse ready next,,snows not to deep inside,,,,

royalmaple
02-21-2008, 07:17 AM
Parker did you find the 12pack on the top at RT. 11?

Mark-NH
02-21-2008, 07:50 AM
Parker,

Good news, 6' more coming Friday night. I'm planning to tap 1 location Sunday and start playing around with the vacuum.

Parker
02-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Matt- I have not put one out there for this year yet,,,,,just a littel too cold,(nothing more dicouraging than a frozen can after a long-tough hike),pretty much wait till we are tapping,,,might go with a 30pack this year,,,real encouragment to check for leaks,,,,

Mark- 6'!!!!! That would really slow me down,,,,,,,,,

Thinking I might just get started on hoit road and putney hill late next week (southern exposure),,,,but it really depends on the weather,,,not too much sugaring weather on the 15 day forcast,,,,,but I still have PLENTY to do to get ready,,,,

Now I have to figure how to get the 8N up from the sugarhouse,,got it stuck down there last storm (wet heavy snow-slush),,I left it down there overnight thinking I might be able to drive it up over the frozen tracks (yeah-right) the next morning,,,,,,,,next morning snow had slid off the sugarhouse roof a lot further than normal,,filling the road the tractor is at the end of (70 feet long) with 2-3 feet of snow which froze hard as concrete,,,, YEAH! I thought I would be bringing my skidder back to town this weekend and plow the homestead out,,,but looks like I might stay logging where I am for another week,,,,I have a buddy with a kaboto with serious tire chains on the other side of town,,,,might move him over for a day,,,,,,,,,

Mark-NH
02-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Parker,

I discovered after a few years of trying that the old Ford's are a summer tractor. Between the 6 volt system, 2 wheel drive and lack of weight on the rear end it is just not worth the fight.

Ops, meant 6" not 6'. Now that would be discouraging. I'm tapping Sunday as I only have 1 day off after that for the next 2 weeks. Better to have them in the trees and frozen than the other way around.

If I'm picking up on it right; you put a few boiling sodas at the top of your lines to encourage and reward you for checking for leaks. BRILLIANT.

Parker
02-24-2008, 05:18 AM
I have my logging job in Warner done and am moving my skidder home to plow out(pull the 8n over the hill) mon-tues.,,then to Rte.11 for a couple of day of logging-plowing there.
Plan on trying to have Hoit Road and Putney Hill Road bushes tapped by end of week,(600?total),Went to Hoit road yesterday afternoon and shoveled out the tank (3+feet of snow and about6"of ice on tank cover) was very suprised that the cover on the tank did not colapse under the weight,,,once tank was shoveled out strapped on the snowshoes and grabbed my square pointed long handeled shovel (long handeled 490D) and struck off,,,,,Walked the entrie system and dug most of it out,,,found one maple top (big) over a lateral mainline and 3 lateral lines, enterances,,,shoveled on that one spot for over an hour,,,have it 1/2 dug out now,,gonna grab my small saw this morning and try to get the rest dug out-cut up-back in place,,then start on Putney Hill if I have time,,,,
Heading over to Bobs at 9am to try to finish installing boosters,,then his install will be complete (Vacuum system on a budget)
Mark- yes,,I like to have a littel extra encouragement to check for leaks smoetimes,,,

maplecrest
02-24-2008, 07:26 AM
if i had a 30 pack at the top i would not get anything done till that was gone

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-24-2008, 02:53 PM
It's a shame Al Gore couldn't have moved up there for the winter, bet he wouldn't have been talking to much about global warming! LOL

Parker--it's great to see you back at it this year. Would have hated to see you had to hang it up.

Parker
02-25-2008, 06:06 AM
Got Bobs conductor line and boosters finished yesterday,,,,that is a nice looking system,,,,downhill-tight and straight,,,,,,
Moving skidder home this A.M. to plow out then moving it to RTE.11 for a few days,,,need to figure out how to open up the tank on the highway,,,there is a 12 foot tall wall of snow all the way out to the whiteline of the road there,,,,,not sure if I can do it with the skidder,,,,time will tell

royalmaple
02-25-2008, 06:29 AM
Parker-

You gotta waaaaaannnt it.

3% Solution
02-25-2008, 06:41 AM
Hey Matt,
Is the governor going to use that 20-30 gallons of kero this spring to boil with or has he just thrown in the towel!!!
Saw him on Unity Rd. on day a while back and haven't seen him since.

Dave

royalmaple
02-25-2008, 06:53 AM
I talked to him the other night. He's gonna go for it. Might only do 1000 this year he said, what ever is closest to the sugarhouse. Last he mentioned he was just going to use his new 2x6 and ro the sap. Not fire up his big rig.

Mark-NH
02-25-2008, 08:36 AM
We tapped out one bush yesterday, 225 taps. Most of the day was spent extending the main line 500' out of a hollow and to a more accessible location for sap pick up. Towards the end of last season it was more like mud bogging than sugaring every time we had to collect. I still haven't found a mudflap I left in there somewhere.

Also got the vacuum system I got from Parker up and running. South facing trees were moist but could not claim they were running. Vacuum was pulling 25" at the releaser but the lines were frozen beyond 1/3 of the way into the bush.

1 more bush to tap next weekend and then hang the buckets. I still haven't had a chance to bucket out the sugar house.

Parker
02-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Did some plowing this afternoon (6hours),,,might have it done tommrow????,,,,,Then off to rte.11,,,start in ernest,,,,,It got up to 47 at my house,,,but only for a few hours,,, gonna get after it here,,,but I am telling you,,snow is ddeeeeeep

Mark,,that pump and releaser will pull 22" all season with a tight system,,,you will see a big diffrance in sap,

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-25-2008, 08:33 PM
I can't see Kevin boiling all season on a 2x6 until he runs the sap to 20% or better. He's so used to a big rig, I can't see him downsizing that much.

sweetwoodmaple
02-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Matt - Did he buy a new 2 x 6 rig, or use my used pans and buy an arch?

royalmaple
02-26-2008, 07:12 AM
Parker-

You've been HIJACKED!!Sorry.

Brandon, he said he was going to just run the 2x6. he bought a nice 2x6 complete at bascoms year or so ago, might have been last year at this time. Oil fired. He was going to rig this up as a finishing rig, similar to like how glen goodrich has his stuff. But last I talked to him, he was just going to RO the sap and run it on the 2x6. At first he was going to have the 2x6 as a finishing rig, then use the 2x6 for small runs, now I think it is ro and 2x6 only.

3% gave him an oil tank last year, and there was only 20 or so gallons of K1 in there, right dave???? Some 100 or so gallons later, we got the tank out. So he's got some fuel for the season already.

Parker, hope the plowing goes good. 6 hours to plow out your yard, that stinks. And just when you thought it was over, here comes the next storm tonight.

Mark-NH
02-26-2008, 03:10 PM
I just looked at the long range forecast. They are not calling for anything above freezing for the next 15 days. Rest up boys! If this holds true there will be no sleep for any of us the second half of the month.

Isn't this similar to what happened last year? My seasons are running into one another the older I get. I think we waited around most of the month and then got hit with a couple good runs towards the end and even into April a little.

3% Solution
02-26-2008, 06:52 PM
Mark,
Looked at my boiling calendar yesterday and we usually start boiling anytime around the 8th to the 11th of March right into the middle of April.
Ahh we're still good!
It's only for 6 weeks and at about the 4th week we are all saying the same thing " I wish this sh@* would stop running, I can't get ahead!!"

Matt,
Maybe you should be seen and not heard!!
Respect your elders!!!!
HA ..... HA
Now, if I tell you what my evaporation rate with this EEU is, are you going to add say 500% more???
The snow wasn't to bad around here!
Got my lines all washed out yesterday.
Got the sap filter piped in over the tank in the sugarhouse.
Thursday night is going to be good ......... 10 below around here, that should bind um right back up!!!!!
Going to try to tap out Sunday!
We'll see.

Dave

royalmaple
02-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Dave-

What have you seen from that EEU?

I might be in your neck of the woods this weekend. I talked to the governor this morning and he's sick as a dog.

Gonna come over and help get him tapped in.

he is just going to run the 2x6 this year.

3% Solution
02-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Matt,
The EEU is in the final stage, it's all together, just needs to have a cover built at one end.
That was a neat project to help work on.
The guy is building me a filter/canner also.
I should be around Saturday (getting things ready).
Sunday morning I'll be around, planning on tappingin the afternoon.
Send me a PM on Friday to let me know what your schedule is for the weekend.

Dave

Parker
02-26-2008, 09:59 PM
Well,,,plowed for another 4 hours today and then went to Goodrichs,,got all manner of sugaring necessities,,,returned home and worked on cleaning up the MESS of a sugarhouse,,,,,,,at 10:30 we have 7" of fresh snow:),,,will spend a littel time plowing tommrow,,then move skidder/crane to RTE.11 and plow snow there,,,,,,,,,,got a bunch of vacuum-maintance stuff pluse adaptors,,will try to count and see how many taps I really have...

PATheron
02-26-2008, 11:10 PM
Guys- Glad to see you guys are getting ready for go time. I think with all the snowpack you should have a real good season. Just got in from the sugarhouse. Been visiting with the neighbor. Took me very little time to boil my sap tonight. Took off 12 gallons. Should almost fill my second drum. Yesterday my dad and I regraded all my mains where they didnt have a lot of pitch. Had troubles with them freezing up. I think they are totally good now. Been adding some taps. Looks like this sunday through wed might be pretty good. Hoping for bigger sap than ever. Having a blast. My dad is in heaven. He loves it. Ro was the best investment of the whole operation. Just keep drawing syrup. Its unreal. First draw tonight was 5 gallons. Pretty amazing for the little evap. I think my lines are good now. The pump humms along at 25 to 26 inches. I think I have all my plumbing figured out so nothing freezes. I think im just about ready now if we get a big run maybe I wont have to struggle. Im finetuning as Im learning how things work. Havent had a lot of time to get on the trader becouse everyday Im trying to correct things that I find I need to improve. Kind of trying to just keep my head above water. Hope things start happening for you guys up north. Theron

Mark-NH
02-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Matt, let me know if you are going to help the Governor tap out Sunday. I might be able to help out after I get my stuff done. I don't know where he is at but his town is only one over from me.

Parker
02-28-2008, 04:16 AM
Finally got the sugarhouse plowed out agine (4 hours) I need to shovel the snow away from the windows befor they blow out (slides off metal roof)brought the releasers inside to wash them,,getting things organized in the sugarhouse,,help comming tommrow to tap-hopefully thru the weekend,,Still need to put the pans back down on the arch befor I boil,,,,,,,,,
Got some syrup filters at goodrichs for filtering (sold press last spring) what is the best way to use these flat filters and how much syrup can I expect to get thru them? I have a leader 16x32 canner-filter with a rack,,,,never used it for filtering befor,,,

maplecrest
02-28-2008, 05:54 AM
hey parker, i saw where using filter aid will help with felt filtering in a past post. i thought that was a great idea. might get more thru each filter. i never had good luck with the flat filters. used the cones

Mark-NH
02-28-2008, 09:03 AM
Parker,

I use the flat filter and they work great, but I am only drawing off a gallon at a time. I found it works best to lay 6-7 papers down on top of the synthetic filter. You need to pull the top paper off each time before pouring in the next draw off.

If you get down to only a couple papers and you have more draw offs coming for the night, you will need to add more papers. Always wet the filters in the back pan and wring them out before laying them out top of the screen.

I've had great luck with the same unit as you now have but I run a lot less volume than you.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-28-2008, 12:46 PM
Parker,

Shoot Van a PM, he can give you some tips.

Parker
02-28-2008, 08:25 PM
WISKY TANGO FOXTROT=====ITS DEEEEEEPPPPPP,,Got plenty of the white stuff for me now,,,,,,,,Got a solid 1/2 a day in today,,ready to tap Hoit road (prettymuch),,,was looking at the roof of the old sugarshack on Hoit Road and thinking there must be a lot of old sugarhouses caving in from the weight,,,,,,suddenly I relized I had not been to Hill and that sugarhouse for a month(alot more snow on that side of tuckermountian) OH MY WORD,,tommrow Ill bring a camera and a roof rake,,,snow is very deep everywhere but SUPRISINGLY deep in Hill,,,,Drilled my first tap today (so as not to start on a friday)

royalmaple
02-29-2008, 06:33 AM
Roger that EAGLE ONE, All systems go, you are clear for tapping, I repeat you are clear for tapping.

3% Solution
02-29-2008, 06:58 AM
Good morning all,
Well Parker like you said (WTF) it's COOOOOOOOOOOlD here ....... -16.
Mountainvan had some stuff for me a few post ago in "bottling Equipment" as far as using flat filters and filter aide. I think it was titled "Filter Aide".
Had to warm up the electric meter to get the electricity to flow!!
Looks like temps in the low 40s this week, might just be what we're looking for!
I go today to pick up the EEU, filter / canner and sink.
We're tapping Sunday, so I guess I have my weekend planned.
Tomorrow we'll clean up more snow, get the sink in and plumbed, get the canner all set up.
Monday I'll wash the EEU out and get that set up and going.
Should be good!!
Son's girlfriend is here from Nebraska, never seen this Maple stuff done before, heck she's never seen this much snow before.
I told we are a rugged bunch to in the North!!!
Stay safe guys!!

Dave

Parker
02-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Spent 3/4's of the day shoveling 4 feet of snow off the sugarhouses at Quimbys and Hoit road,,spent rest of the day on details of the hoit rd system,,now more ready to tap,,,will tap that and Putney road this weekend (after I plow the 8-12" we are supposed to get tonight) Try to get 600 in so I can get going here,,supposed to get 3 decent dats (mon. tue.wed)

Parker
03-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Really dodged a bullet here,,,only 7 inches of fresh snow,,,after I plowed,,shoveled the barn roof,,,ect....., I got out of the yard at 12,,,,,spent a long while looking for people with front end loaders that wernt too busy to plow out rte.11 and Hill,not having much luck,,,cant leave the car on the side of the road to work in the woods,,cause there is no side of the road
Got Putney hill pretty much ready to tap,,lots of shoveling,,will be drilling tommrow try for the 2 orchards,,
Then off to Rte.11 repair and drill,,,want to be all in by next sat. (realisticly)

Parker
03-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Peter and I Got Hoit Road tapped out and it was running a littel (nice south face) Meet "Red" in Hill with his 4x4 kebelco backhoe,we flagged the littel bit of traffic (now a one lane road going by sugarwoods),,he did a super job getting thru the bank the plows had made,,,snow was as high as the cab of the loader!!!! 4.5 feet once he got thru,,,,,did not get Putney done,,,will start Rte.11 tommrow,,,,,gonna have to drop 2 guys off with shovels there,,wait 20 mins come back and park the car,,then commando over the bank til I can find someone with a BIG loader,,,,,those plow banks have a lot of solid ice in them,,,,

jemsklein
03-02-2008, 06:54 PM
If you have any pictures i would love to see them.

3% Solution
03-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Parker,
You're not alone with the high banks.
We shoveled one place to back the truck into, that took up about an hour of tapping time.
Got about 3/4 the taps in today.
Going to set the EEU up tomorrow, then finish tapping.
Sap was running a bit on the South facing areas, not a lot but a bit.
Would have done more but we started out with one dead battery and one almost full for the 18 volt.
Tis the season.
Stay safe and don't slip!!!

Dave

Parker
03-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Send me a PM with your e-mail adress and Ill send you a couple,,I am trying to get my 9 year old daughter to show me how to get pics off my phone,, onto the computer,,,but its after her bed time now,,,I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to put pics in a "folder" amd making a link to them in a post,,,,,,,challanging

Parker
03-04-2008, 03:55 AM
Wow- I am still dragging it after 8 hours of sleep,,,,yesterday Peter and I went to Rte.11 and started tapping,,,I went ahead of pete and dug up-fixed lines,,,most laterals were under the snow,,,some of the mains were under,,I have one more section on mainline to dig out about 150 feet long,,,peter got in 255 taps,,,very tough going,,,,,but gaining slowly,sap was not running on that north face,,,today we will also have Ray with us wich should speed things up a littel,,,,would be nice to get Rte.11 tapped today,,,,then off to Hill,,,,Still have not tapped Putney Hill,,or deployed any vac. pumps

Parker
03-04-2008, 05:50 PM
The sap was running here today,,,spewing out of the holes as we drilled,,,got Rte.11 finished ans started in Hill,,,,snow much deeper there,,,the steady all day rain was knocking it down though,,,real hard time getting around in Hill as a brook bisects the orchard and needs to be crossed 4 times waliking up the mainline,,,and the pole crossing the brook are down 4 feet!!!! ahd to cut stais in the snow to get across,,,,,,big fun,,,,,up to 1000 taps in now,,,now it time to eat and sleep,,,tough going,,but gaining

Hop Kiln Road
03-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Go Parker, I'm rooting for you! Got my 1/2" mainlines in and 200 taps running, but I'm winded. Had to set a couple of the barrels below the snowpack. Pretty sure the snow road to the sugarhouse is lost...Bruce

maplecrest
03-05-2008, 05:45 AM
well parker, not much sugar in sap so pace your self. yesterday was wild. up till 1 am getting all vac systems up and running. felt like theron and matt. got 4000+- gallons of sap to get 750 gallons of 8% sap. going to test drive evap today. test drove new r/o yesterday{not wired right from factory} have to baby set it. had the electrician, the gas company, power co. here got new power, new generator all running. when that trans switch shifts over you would not know your off grid. did some tighting up in woods but ice storm here now so that will raise you know what with everything. high winds today too.

Parker
03-06-2008, 04:05 AM
AAAAHHHHHHHHHH,,,,,sicker than 3 dogs yesterday,,got the kids 24 hour (I hope) bug,,I was sick enough I did not even want to be out tapping (thats sick),,,,today is a new day,,,,,Pete and Ray are showing up so hopefully make tracks,,,hopefully the 1 inch of rain setteled the snow a littel,,,,still lots to do befor boiling and setting up vacuum,,,will miss the run today and tommrow,,,,will concentrate on getting all in ,,then vacuum,,,,then boiling,,,,,,,,,,sugar has been around 2% with not too hard a runs,,,,hope I am not missing too much,,,,but its a long season,,,Jeff how bad was your storm?

Parker
03-06-2008, 06:37 PM
3 of us all day-335 taps,,,Ray and I spent all day digging out laterals and mainlines,,peter drilled,,,getting it,,,,1335 and counting....want to get pulling vacuum and make some syrup...........soon

TapME
03-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Did you figure the picture thing out? Parker.

Parker
03-07-2008, 03:18 AM
I have not figured out the pic thing,,I have a bunch of digital photos from a camera on the computer,,,,but my daughter,,9,,(Maplecreek tech adviser) tells me we need a cord to get pics off the phone,,,,would like to figure out how to get pics in posts,,,,,,I do know how to e-mail them,,,,

chainsaw
03-07-2008, 03:31 AM
Hi Parker, Where are you going to be working today ? If I get my errands done early enogh today I"d like to help with some shoveling. I"ll bring my own shovell. What you got about another 500 or so to go ? Jim

royalmaple
03-07-2008, 05:22 AM
Parker-

You can send the pictures to yourself via email. It's not the cheapest option but you can do it. Just put in your email address instead of sending them to another phone number for example.

That's cool that you have an I.T. department.

maplecrest
03-07-2008, 05:31 AM
parker ice was bad, spent all day putting back togather. had 1/2 inch of ice on everything. lot of weight on the lines. more today, hope to boil again tonight.vac levels slowly comming back up

Parker
03-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Wound up with 565 in Hill,,,Porqupine hollow was too deep to tap,,all maines and laterals under snow-ice,,will do that when snow goes down,,,got tank on rte.11 plowed out,,,now to get vac. set up on Hoit-rte.11 and in Hill,,,and get finisher at Maplecrest,,,really did not look like it was running too hard,,,
Went over to Warner to a very nice 3200 tap opperation,,,they got a new indeanina pump (95CFM,,,oh my),,,they have been boiling the last 3 nights and made 60+gallons,,,and had close to 2000 gals. in the tank and releaser still dumping,,,,,pulling 22",,ITS ALL ABOUT MERCURY AND CFM!!!!!!!,,,,same weather over there,,,,,,,
Out to the barn to put pumps together,,,gotta pick up the pace,,,MARVIN IS THIRSTY!!!!!!!!!

Parker
03-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Just got back from a day long voyage,,,went to Maplecrest in A.M.,,,got NICE finisher (thanks) then Goodriches,,,got 2 5.5 horse moters for the sp-22 and the BB-4,,will try to set up tommrow,picked up some other necessary stuff,(no snow up there),, went and washed out tank at Hoit rd and RTE.11 (with the help of the POURING RAIN!!!!,then brought some stuff to those fellows in Warner,,,They are up to 100 gallons, and boiling tonight,,,,,There is some motivation for me,,,,,,,STOP TALKING ABOUT IT AND DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hard maple
03-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Parker
Keep up the good work!!!
I'll stop by in April ( just like last year) to say hi
take care

maplecrest
03-09-2008, 02:33 PM
hey parker what a storm, i seem to get them all.last night i lost my steam stack [sucked right out of the roof], roof off silo , trees down every where. ran my new set up, as r/o was running transfer switched to generator when power went out with out a problem.boiled and you would not know that there was a problem. power restored after done boiling. the only thing i forgot to hook vac pump to the system.this week. more woods work in the am.hope the finisher made the trip around the maple world ok.

Parker
03-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Jeff- it was a great trip such nice country up there,,,,,Spent most of today on getting gas moters on the sp-22 and BB-4,still more to do tommrow on them,,cold here,,,will set them and relersers up tommrow and be ready for sap tuesday,,,

Uncle Tucker
03-10-2008, 05:31 AM
Parker,
Looks like just in time. This week should have good sap weather. Good luck!

Parker
03-10-2008, 06:03 AM
I know I missed some this past week,,,,but what are you going to do with all this snow,,,deal with it,,its a long season ( I hope) We will get it,,,,,gonna give it hell today,,,,get the vac. out there and put a bunch of valves and gauges in the lines to pinpoint the vac. leaks,,,try to maintain HIGH VAC. this year for the NHBIGSAP,,,(I have a few extra tanks this year just in case)

Parker
03-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Major Fab. work to get the 3 pumps running (adaptor plates can be difficult)...Me and Ray all day-changed oile-belts-plugs-ect.One of the sp-22's seems very iffy???-will start deploing on RTE.11 tommrow,,,not leave till we are pulling 22",,Then Hill..Then Hoit...BUSY

Parker
03-11-2008, 03:53 AM
A littel detail on one of the pumps we put together yesterday,,1 is a BB-4 which seems to be a littel bigger than the sp-22 but still a surge piston pump,,,we put Chineese copies(WING DONG) of the Honda 5.5HP moters that we got at Goodriches (cheap) on them,,,,Normally I like a 2 sheave cast steel pulley on the gas moters for these rigs (cast aluminum pulleys always break on easter sunday at the beggining of a huge run when every store in the country is closed) Well yesterday we put the 2 sheave pulley on the bb-4 -wing dong combo,,,,,,pull and pull and pull some more and that moter just would not start-take the belts off and it starts right up belts on-no start,,,(we filled the pump with 30wt non detergent which looked about like gear oil)
While we were getting stuff at Goodriches I asked for pulleys for the moters,,glenn says try this-you will like it,,,it was a pulley with a clutch built in (for a go cart mabey?),,But just 1 sheave,,,well-I wasent going to get it ($40),,,BUT,,,,,good to try new things they tell me....
So we put the clutch pulley on the bb-4wingdonger combo and by god gurt,,the moter fires right up,,,give it some gas and the pump starts rolling over,,,seems to work very well,,,,I am hopeing it will hold up,,,if it does Ill get another 2,,,

royalmaple
03-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Parker in a pinch you can make an idler pully set up too. Have a third pully and a slightly larger belt. Take a rod and have a pin in it so it will pivot and push up or down depending on how you have the pulley set up and it will put the tension on the belt and start driving the pump. Then just need a rope or wire to hold the bar in place at the proper setting for the tension you want.

Or: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?L2=Centrifugal&operator=prodIndexRefinementSearch&originalValue=pulley+clutch&L1=Clutches%2C

Parker
03-12-2008, 03:39 AM
Got the pump-releaser set up on RTE.11,,started her up and was pulling 7" OHHHHH MY BIGSAP,,,,,,,NOT,,,,,,,We put gauges on all the mainlines above the valves,,,,shut off the valve and see how fast the vacuum drops,,,know about what you have for leaks on that line (VT. mapleschool tech.) Man that works well,,(and saves miles of walking),we got the vac. up to 19",,,was surprised at the # of leaking T's and spiles,,,will go back and change them out soon,,,,,,,,also a lot of leaking saddels,,,,will try to get hoit rd. system and Hill set up-running today,,,might run today,,,,

maplecrest
03-12-2008, 06:05 AM
parker i am having problems with my saddles also. take a piece of black pipe and cut a half moon piece and place under ratchet and will tighten them right up. i must have fixed 30 yesterday. if i had wire ties with me i would have tied them too.

chipa
03-12-2008, 06:53 AM
Try using Darveau saddles; they wrap around the mainline and secure with a screw. As long as you secure the laterals to the mainline (dont pull on saddle) they will not leak

Parker
03-13-2008, 05:11 AM
Might look into that type of saddels
Got the pump deployed on Hoit Road (center of flywheel is out of round from running loose and wont stay tight,,,think I am gonna weld it on) got the releaser set up plugged in and got a whole 4" ,,HAY NOW!!,,,,,,;),,,I guess you know,,,leak patrol,,,,how come I dont see the broken t's and the chewed lines when I am tapping??? Finally got the vac. up to 19" but have to work on the releaser and some connections to hold the vac. that high,,,will maintain 16" (not acceptabel)
Droped off the BB-4 in Hill last night,,,setting that up-installing valves-gauges in mainlines-checking leaks up there today,,,supposed to stay around 36 here agine today,,mabey run tommrow,,,,,,,
Still have 300 or so to tap once we get vacuum ship shape.

Parker
03-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Had to get the kids off the bus,,,its 43deg and HAMMERING,,were going on vac. patrol,,,young Ray up in Hill trying to get that above 10"

TapME
03-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Sounds like the temps are moving my way. That's great that you got sap. Can't wait for it to get here.

Parker
03-14-2008, 03:59 AM
It was a late starting run which did not last long,,but it was a start,,,very good to see sap comming into a releaser like that,,I would guess we got less than 250 gallons total,,would also guess in all the tanks there is 400 gallons total,(I like to have at least 800 gallons on hand to light the fire),,should do something today,,,I wont start boiling (if it runs today) till tommrow night (I dont like starting things on fridays)
Girls and I went back up to Hill,,Ray had the vac. back up to 20",,,very excited about that,,,,we definatly have some work to do today fine tuning vac. levels at RTE.11 and Hoit rd,,,,,Ray said snow was still over most of the lines in porqupine hollow-will leave that alone (valve at booster shut off) till snow has setteled more,,,still 4 feet of snow in Hill and almost that everywhere elas around here,,,snow not yet melted away from trees...
Gonna put evaporator together this AM the go vacuum leak hunting,,,,,,
After wacthing my vacuum pumps running yesterday (surge piston type) I can see the attraction to liquid ring pumps,,,,#1=higher vac. levels #2=no oil smog, consumption #3=one moving part,,,,,,,,I am going to keep my eye out and think about how to set these up without elec.,,,,,,,saw in the indeania video the fellow had a gas powerd unit,,,

Parker
03-14-2008, 10:20 PM
Me and Ray got vac. up to 22" in Hill and 19" on rte.11,,got 18" on Hoit rd,,,Set pans on rig and got tanks in trucks,,,Tommrow he will be collecting,, maintainin vacuum,,,,We will light the fire aroung 5pm,,hope to have 3500 gallons to boil.............................................. .time will tell

tuckermtn
03-16-2008, 12:06 AM
figuring since havn't heard from Parker tonight he got slammed...hope thats the case...

good luck to all central NH sugarmakers...

Parker
03-16-2008, 02:04 AM
Wound up with 2200 gallons,(not as much as I had thought we would have),,started at 5:30,,done at 2:30,,made around 28 gallons,,,me and flat filters-not so much,,,sticky mess,,got mabey 2 gallons thru befor they gagged up,,,hope it runs tommrow-havent seen the weather

3% Solution
03-16-2008, 06:57 AM
Hi Parker,
2:30 in the morning, that kinda stinks after what we did yesterday!!!!
It was good to finally meet you yesterday.
At least you have syrup now and you can just hammer away.
Stay safe!!!

Dave

NH Maplemaker
03-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Parker, Glad to see you made it home safe !! Was great to meet you and the other maple traders !! 2200 hundred gal ! Don't know what I would do with that much sap at one time! May be call Russ and see if he would make a road trip with RO .LOL Stay safe and good luck !!

Jim L.

Parker
03-16-2008, 10:26 AM
It was great meeting everyone at Kevins,,all of the traders I have meet are super nice people who enjoy talking maple,,cant beat that
Wife woke me up this AM around 8,,,,said "its 35 deg out,,,GO TIME!!",,,got the pumps going,,littel sap comming in,,,,
Going filterpress hunting today,,stuff we made last night tastes surprisingly good,,,and looks to be a light medium,,,,

maplecrest
03-16-2008, 12:21 PM
hey parker how does the wood pile look? after first boil? i figure 78 to 1 is what you did last nite

Parker
03-16-2008, 06:43 PM
I think I burned 2 cords,,around that,,,,yeah-the ratio thing has never worked for me for some reason (wood to gallons or sap to syrup) although I did not test the sugar,,,,, course I started with empty pans,,

Russell Lampron
03-17-2008, 05:36 AM
Parker it was nice to see you again Saturday. It was fun working in Kevins woods and even more fun to see Mighty Marvin in action. I think Marvin might like a cupola over his head. If you could get the steam out of the sugar house he could breathe better and maybe increase his evap rate. It is quite a sight to see the steam pouring out of your steam stacks.

Russ

Parker
03-17-2008, 05:58 AM
I need to get the fan on top of the syrup pan stack,,that takes care of it,,,rush to boil anmany details left to do,,

TapME
03-17-2008, 08:01 PM
I took a few pictures while we at the sugar house on sat night. Had a great time visiting with you and your helper. The first boil of 2008.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-17-2008, 08:53 PM
It looks like BIGFOOT! lol!

danno
03-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Wound up with 2200 gallons,(not as much as I had thought we would have),,started at 5:30,,done at 2:30,,made around 28 gallons,,,me and flat filters-not so much,,,sticky mess,,got mabey 2 gallons thru befor they gagged up,,,hope it runs tommrow-havent seen the weather

Parker - glad to hear your up, running and got that vacuum up. That pic of you in the sugarhouse is a true keeper. I've got to tell you, I absolutely love that filter you threw in with the evaporator. I'm only using 2 out of the 4 filter holders. I don't know why it works so well, but far better then any cone filter system I've ever used. Though I would need all 4 filter racks, but getting all my syrup through on two.

Parker
03-18-2008, 12:47 AM
Danno- glad to hear that rig works for you,,,the flat filter I had no luck with (no pacantents) got a wes-fad 7",,,works nicely
1280 gallons (dumped the last 50 out of the head tank so it would not freeze in) 1.8 or so sugar 21 gallons of Med.,,started at 6 done firing at 11:30,,need to get the finisher I got from Maplecrest set up,,17 gallon finisher is not big enough
Lost the pulley off the wang dung-honda on Hoit rd,,might have spoiled the shaft,,stinks cause it weas Really runing there (south face)
Like the pics,,the place is a lot neater now,,was in a rush to get going,,

Parker
03-19-2008, 06:03 AM
Was surprised to get just 390 gallons of sap here yesterday,,was pretty cold in the AM,,,,Light snow now that is supposed to turn to rain,,,gonna get dumptruck ship shape today so we can haul 1300 gallons per trip insted of 325,,,I think we will need it soon,,,,also hope to get big finisher set up,,,yesterday Ray put an OLD honda on the Hoit road pump, brought the wang dung home for an inspection,,,look at that today also,,,lots of prep work for BIGSAP still to do,,,,GOODLUCK TO ALL

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
03-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Brandon- LOL about Bigfoot. My wife meet Parker for the first time saturday and she was giggling/tee heein' saying to me when she got home after delivering the pizza's and drink to the guys=yup parker he's cool. yup yup you can tell he looks like a logger.Ya he's a lumberjack, He's a lumberjack you can tell for sure she said. She said she was excited to meet him as she's been hearing a lot of good about him. She thought he was cool dude...

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-19-2008, 12:39 PM
I wasn't sure who is was, sorry Parker. I know you can handling a little razzing though.

May your sap run faster than you can boil, that's better than us giving you a hard time anyway!

saphead
03-19-2008, 06:30 PM
When I meet Parker a couple years ago @ Bascoms he made it easy,he was wearing his orange logger's helmet! I'm glad you're getting ready for BIGSAP because it should bust loose after this next cold snap and no frozen roots this year.

Parker
03-20-2008, 06:57 AM
My wife just bought another pair of clippers so I should look a littel more presentabel soon,,,,
Did not get hardly any sap yesterday-too cold with snow in the AM,,keep the pumps going all day-night hopeing it would warm up those extra 4 deg. or so to get the flow going,,I will check this am...will probably do a littel boil today to get rid of what sap I am holding and wash everything up,,,,,
Shoehorned the big finisher (2x5) I got from Maplecrest in the sugarhouse yesterday,,,will hook up gas today,,,almost have the 2 ton ready to truck,,,now just need BIGSAP............Good luck to all

Parker
03-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Finally got the vacuum up to 21" on Hoit road toady,,,as of 4pm everything was at 21-22",,,got the finisher all set up,,,rewiring the 2 speed on the 2 ton,,gonna get a sticker tommrow,,collected 1200 gallons,,holing it to boil till AM,,Ray will collect the rest of what is in the tanks (probably anothe 200) in AM and rinse tanks,,,and I really needed the haircut I just got, ready to go now
Think after I boil tommrow I am going to run the sap in the evaporator thru the press and back into headtank,,and give Marvin a wash,,,see if we can make some light stuff.....

maplecrest
03-21-2008, 09:03 AM
hey how well does that finisher work?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-21-2008, 11:13 AM
So bigfoot has disappeared??????

Parker
03-22-2008, 06:35 AM
Brandon-no more bigfoot,,,I am all presentabel now

Maplecrest,,Ill bet its gonna work great,,,I started putting syrup in it yesterday and drip-drip-drip,,,There was littel leak around the drain,,which I turned into a bigger leak with my mapp gas torch,,gonna bring it to a fellow today,,,,I think we banged it getting the pan out of the truck,,not a big deal to fix,,,Jeff-how much have you made and how is your grade? Did yesterdays wind storm wreak havoc up on your ridge?
Started at noon,1300gallons,2.5% sap done firing at 7,,made32 gallons of dark A,,,,had a job getting everythin thawed in the sugarhoues and bulktank to get going,,
It was in the mid 30's here yesterday with a cold wind and is now 18 deg.no sap yesterday,,,not sure about today.........

maplecrest
03-22-2008, 07:19 AM
storm still going high winds, very cold wind chills. think you were on mt. washington here.changed front pans yesterday, sap was gelling faster than i could get out of pan. grade holding at fancy and light med. made over 600. see no sap here till tuesday. seen no sap since wed. scott wheeler went to maine to see what is going on at new woods. since froze up. check woods for damage later. now i have leaks. dry line froze at releaser. my new releaser leaks on one side you can see the frost on one slide, meaning it is leaking air there. lots of fun ahead

Parker
03-23-2008, 04:30 AM
Jeff sounds like you have your work cut out for you,,,what do you mean by syrup "gelling" in syrup pan?
After about 18 deg. yesterday AM warmed up a littel here yesterday around 1pm,,started the pumps,,got about 200 gal on hoit road (south face) 150 gal on rte.11 and 100 (cold) in Hill,,,
Had only 16" on rte.11,,,isolated the leak on the releaser valves to the uphill conductor line,,,went up that line turning off lateral main lines,,found leaking main,,,walked out it and found a lateral line off a saddel,,,took about 5 mins.,,,,without those valves could have been hours and hours,,,,,was walking right on top of 3-4 feet of hardfrozen snow,,,good trucking out in the woods when it is this cold,,,,looks like the snow is starting to melt away from the trees a littel
Young Ray got the 2 ton pretty well set up,,will put finishing touches on it monday,,looking forward to haulung 1400 gal per trip,,
Got the fitting welded on the finisher yesterday,,amazing what a good welder and a tig machine can do,,will now clean out Marvin befor we boil agine,,my grade is down to darkA,,,

maplecrest
03-23-2008, 07:48 AM
so cold here that the "gelling" in the pan was like fuel oil. with out heating to change pans. got that done. got some sap yesterday from 1 to 7 600 gallons or so. my dry line on main releaser froze again,i am going to change the 11/2 quik connect see if that is problem. took forever to thaw one line i knew froze found the leak. my east taps are running great. spent most of yesterday tapping spouts back in that the frost has pushed out. going to go over them all this week. found more than a few.my lower releaser is a double, i have had nothing but freeze problems with that. one side fills and freezes solid. i had to take it apart to get to the ice block yesterday. took 2 hours to get that system going.going to put a heat tape around that. that was too much work. drained my liquid ring, running 75 right now for short runs. was holding 22 inches on that little pump. so that system is tight.working on an antifreeze loop for that. going to use r/v antifreeze since it is 3 dollars a gallon.i figure 50 gallons should do the trick, going to stick a loop in the brook to cool it.have yet to get my main liquid ring running, may be this week. i have not finished tapping 100 to go some day. easter today not much time to do what i want to do.hate holidays!! in my spare time i am building a pan washer for my front pan. a 4x6 piece of plywood, and radiant flooring pipe looped to it. with holes drilled into the pipe to blast hot water from steamaway on to the pan to clean it. well back to the fun.

Parker
03-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Wow- that is a lot to try to keep up with,,I dont have the cold in the sugarhouse problem,,,nice this time of year but when your boiling down there and its 60 deg,,,,,I have had it up to 105 in there befor,,,,,,
Ran the hoit road pump and the rte.11 pump a littel today,,got about 150 gal on hoit rd and about 70? on rte.11,,,need some slightly warmer nights-days,,,later this week looks good,,gonna try to tap Putney hill and Hattens tommrow (about 350-400),,,and get 2 ton done,wash up all the tanks,, get ready for BIGSAP here TTTHHHEEE(SAPCZAR)RRROOONNN says its heading this way ;)

3% Solution
03-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Parker,
Looks good from Tuesday on.
You'll be burning the mid-night oil!!!
Hope the rabbit was good to you today!!

Dave

Parker
03-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Put in another 158 taps on Putney hill,,started the pumps around noon,,running slowly,,got all the systems up to 22" (best we have ever had),,Ray finished up on Big Sexy {the 2 ton} and went out collecting,,I ran the syrup pan thru the finisher-filterpress-back into the pan after a good cleaning,,,think we are ready for a run or 2,,,Good luck to all!!

maplecrest
03-25-2008, 08:51 AM
getting sap only out of east faceing woods. got a lot yesterday. but no where else. put heat tapes around my releasers. had a single froze to the top yesterday. had a time getting the ice out of that. hope not to have that problem now. one thing i learned last nite is to drain them after the freeze , so as pump still running will not turn it into a block of ice, as has been happening

gmcooper
03-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Maplecrest,
Have you tried the heat tape before? Let me know if it works. I plugged my releaser again last night with Ice. 4th time this year. It was only 29 when I went to shut it down but was full of ice already. Sure doesn't take long to freeze up. If heat tpae works I'll give it a try.

Mark

royalmaple
03-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Here's picture of Parker's sap hauler.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
03-25-2008, 04:11 PM
There she is BIG SEXY. I went for a ride before in big sexy and we were like a new girl in the neighbor hood driving down the road. Everyone wanted to get a good look at the horns on her/or should i say tanks. Saves a lot of trips that for sure.

Parker
03-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Mat- thanks for posting the pic-I still cannot figure that out, but still trying,,
Got the rest of Putney Hill tapped today-200 in all,,running pretty well this afternoon,,had vac. going by noon,(cold this AM agine),no real gang buster runs,,,,,but running,,might be good weather tommrow,,,have 700 gals above evaporator,,,,about 600 gallons in woods by 5 PM,,will send Ray collecting in big truck around 10,, hopefully keep him going for a while with a real run,,,time will tell,,,,will make some tommrow,got vacuum tight this afternoon,,,,,200 more taps to go

royalmaple
03-25-2008, 06:58 PM
No problem-o. Send over anything you want and I'll post it.

Mark-NH
03-26-2008, 09:16 AM
Parker,

She is beautiful. That is f^%*ing awesome to have a rig like that. Nice touch having the metal tank on the way back too. Now I have another piece added to my must have list.

Parker
03-26-2008, 11:38 PM
Mark come on over-take her for a ride,,,,,,Ray took "Big sexy" out for 1 run today,,,then he just ran the pickup,,,,,,1300 gallons-35? gallons syrup,just got back from shutting pumps off,,,mabey tommrow,,,,,(not complaining mind you) But I REALLY want to have a 60 gallon day,,,,

Mark-NH
03-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Parker,

Yesterday was not "the day" for us either. The wind was strong and steady all day. We only got 1/4 of a big run but at least we were up and boiling last night after a 5 day break.

I think today should produce a good run and if it warms up and rains tomorrow, look out.

Parker
03-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Today was a big fizzzzzzz,,,,,,after what looked to be a promising start everything kinda shut down,,,50 deg with a wind from the east,,,,well if it ever does run we should be ready,,,,,

maplecrest
03-28-2008, 05:50 AM
how much snow did you get?

Parker
03-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Changing back and forth from rain to snow-elevation dependant,,at the sugarhouse we got 2 inches,,in Hill there is 4 inches,,,38 deg-I would think it would ne running better than it is,,,,,piddeling,,,Ray on his way back with 1000 or so gal,,probably will boil it tonight,,,I cleaned the evaporator yesterday and this is fresh,clear sap,,,and I want to make some newbrunswick style candy
What is the Shrewsbury report?

maplecrest
03-29-2008, 06:31 AM
15 degrees here. got 7 inches of snow.last trip of the dumper was 3 yesterday after noon. got 1800 gallons of sap. at 10% thats 600 gallons to boil for open house today. be burning more oil in furnace than evap today. the govener of vt jim douglas will be here at 11.30 am. on his maple tour of the state. the seceret service arrives at 10.45. had visitors from south penn yesterday.long range for week not too good. no freeze monday, 50s tuesday, dont see many cold nights after this weekend. zero tonight

Parker
03-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Made 12 gallons last night,,,(I emptied the flue pan to clean),started with 900 gallons,,just 2%,more dark A,,frozen solid here,,,34 and strong winds out of the north,,jugged up a bunch,,,girls out front selling now (marketing team)....
Supposed to get COLD tonight then warm up to the 40's,,,mabey some weather later in the week
Jeff- That is some great expouser,,bet you will sell a bunch of product....I have never sined up for the tour,,,mabey when I junk all this #1 in my door yard after sugaring season,,,spiff the homestead up a littel

maplecrest
03-30-2008, 07:17 AM
9 degrees, here this am, long day yesterday, boiled an hour made 51 gallons.had over 100 people tour the operation. sold alot of pints. gov and his wife blended in, never know they were there. i got a chance to talk to him for 15 minutes or so about ag diversity and maple pricing.and world wide markets.

Parker
03-30-2008, 05:17 PM
Took the marketing team (my 2 girls) with me on pump patrol today,,they love tromping around in the sugarwoods,,,both meredith and emma stayed on top of the snow,,I kept on breaking thru,,,,down to 20 last night,,,a perfect 46 today,,more than a piddel happening but not really running,,,I have to think the 3 feet of snow (at least) around all my trees is really slowing things down,,,,I was looking at some pics I took (yes, I have a problem) of lines running into releasers full port in years gone by,,noticed all the snow was pretty well gone in all those pics,,,,

Parker
03-31-2008, 02:37 PM
Got the pumps going-snow changing to rain-38 deg, no run,,tapped porqupine hollowin Hill (68 more 1868 taps now?),then opend the booster and froze the wet and dry line solid to the releaser :) -lost all my vac,,,,,that does not make me happy,,,,raining at my house now,,gonna take a gambel and go back up there,,hope it thawed out so I can check for leaks,,had 22" befor,,,dont want it down to 14 (or lower) all night,,,not enough sap here to collect and boile (mabey600 gallons)...................

Parker
04-01-2008, 05:08 AM
Hill had thawed out upon my return,,,fixed a few leaks and got the system back to 22",,releaser was not freezing inside so left the pump running,,,check rte.11 on way home,,releaser was freezing inside badly and bearley running (seemed colder there) but left it running,,went to hoit road,,releaser was frozen (leak on the slides-sucking some air right into the line going to the pump) as I took the vac. line off the releaser I broke a fitting on the balance tank :),,,off to lowes at 8pm,,,went by rte.11 on way back,,that was solid,,shut it off,,off now to break some more stuff-burn more gas
I have noticed a few thing about higher vac. levels (over 20") #1 if you have a leak somewhere and the temp is around freezing,,the line will freeze (not the case at 16")
#2 the higher vac. you pull the more leaks you find

Mark-NH
04-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Parker,

She finally let go overnight last night. 300 gallons in both locations off 220 taps. I suspect you and Mighty Marvin will be spending a lot of time together over the next couple days. Good luck and have fun.

Parker
04-02-2008, 05:10 AM
Mark- I think you might be right,,after one heck of a bulnder filled day yesterday we managed to collect 1600 gallons and empty all the tanks and wash them,,,did not get home last night till 8pm and did not have enough wind in my sails to boil,,heading down there now
Had a warm rain yesterday afternoon which really knocked the snow down,,had a big mist in the afternoon,,,,froze a littel last night,,then tremendous winds all night,,,we had all the vacuum pulling 22" or above yesterday,,hope we did not loose it with the wind,,,,I just might go on vacuum patrol befor I start boiling,,,not sure,,GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!!! If anyone is in the area I should be going all day-night-I hope,,,stop by say Hi

Parker
04-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Just got back from vacuum tour-all pumps ran all night and are pulling steady now-no loss of vacuum,,,better get my butt down there and throw a macth in Marvin,,,we got work to do

maplecrest
04-02-2008, 09:43 AM
yesterday at this time i was over run, 272 gallons later. froze up and no sap

royalmaple
04-02-2008, 10:13 AM
The Official Pace car of Big Sap Motorsports!

Maple Restoration
04-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Now that the way to go for big sap.

Parker
04-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Ran an additional 900 gallons here,,started boiling at 10:30 done at 8 pm,got to listin to the sox smoke the A's,,,made 56 gallons of tasty dark-A,,most I ever made at a whack,,,sounds like it might run better tommrow,,,what is peoples secrets on changing side mid boil,,,never done it,,scary and all,,,I think I should have changed sides today around the 30 gallon mark

maplecrest
04-03-2008, 06:08 AM
parker, draw off two or three pails off the side you are on, then pull the plug and put in other side. as well as change flue pan!!!. then dump sweet in new side. draw a pail of sap from flue pan to have next to you on floor. watch center tills as you go back to syrup. if making syrup in center add a few scoops of sap from pail on floor to the center tills to push it around. good luck. seems hard but once you do it no problem

TapME
04-03-2008, 06:37 AM
looks like you are have some fun making syrup Parker. How's the wood pile doing?

powerdub
04-03-2008, 09:34 PM
Just letting you know I have not forgotten about you. I am still bugging Marvin Jr. for those pics. Hope yer sugars high!

Parker
04-04-2008, 05:40 AM
Lou- the wood pile is holding in there,,I think I have enough left to make another 500 gallons?I found some more floats-boxes,,scoops and skimmers if you need some,,,
Scott-load marty up in your rig bring the pics and a tank of concentrate :)
Sugar has been high for me this year-2.5% pretty steady,,,lots of times in the past it has averaged 1.6%,,,It is much more enjoyabel boiling and drawing off 5-6 gallons an hour
Ran some here yesterday,,still not hammering, but we still have that 3 foot snow pack, I had a kids thing to go to last night so no boil,,,will boil today,,,I know I make darker syrup and loose sugar overnight,,,,BUT MAN,,,I much prefer boiling during the day,,,just not a night owl.....

maplecrest
04-04-2008, 08:59 AM
let go here last nite. 22 gallons of sap a minute comming into sugar house, was on the major move at 9.30 last nite with con tanks full and it railing in. got caught up at midnite as sap slowed down. r/o washing now, to start again at noon.as warming up again.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-04-2008, 06:23 PM
post edited

royalmaple
04-04-2008, 06:34 PM
****ty guage on the releaser.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-04-2008, 06:38 PM
post edited

royalmaple
04-04-2008, 06:41 PM
I know its parkers operation and he needs full production, but....

Shut off the vacuum, speed swap out the guages and see if you get the same reading...

The hunt continues...stay tuned to our next episode where yours truely, blunder bunny will take on a bearded wambat in a mud wrestling competition.

Parker
04-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Matt???? I am sure I read that wrong,,,I almost thought you said "Shut off the vaaa...",,,,,I cant even type that,,,,,ITS THE SEASON,,,the vac. pulls until its frozen,,,,Period
Kevin I thought the 2 gauges on the boosters were reading less than the 2 at the end,,,,have to look at it agine
Jeff- I am glad to hear it is busting loose for you..I am looking forward to that,,I think the rain we got today might help things along,,,
Wound up with 36 gallons (thought it would be around 25) am surprised,,love the higher sugar content and a big gas finisher!
GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!!!!!!!

PATheron
04-05-2008, 06:24 AM
Parker- As of today when I boil last nights sap I think this is the tentative number- .4968152 Thee(happybigsapzar)roon

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-05-2008, 07:15 AM
post edited is a difference.

Russell Lampron
04-05-2008, 07:20 AM
You didn't go all of the way to the end Governor? That is where the 12 pack of boiling sodas is.

Sounds like a vacuum gauge problem to me. 23" out in the woods is good.

TapME
04-05-2008, 07:22 AM
could it just be s--t that has built up in the gauges?

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-05-2008, 07:50 AM
post edited

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Parker,

If the sand is heavy, I switch sides every 3 hours or so in mid boil. It takes about 30 to 60 seconds for me, might take a touch longer for you. I do the opposite of Jeff. I used to do it the way he did it, but I plug off both sides of front pan as it is a drop flue, not neccessary with a raised flue and I draw off 1.5 to 2 gallons off of the light side and dump it into heavy side. I like this better as it sucks the heavy syrup towards the new drawoff side and by dumping in the low sugar sap, it pushes it even more.

You would need to drawoff more than 1.5 to 2 gallons, but same principle. Too much nitre building in the drawoff will darken the syrup, thus another good reason to switch.

Parker
04-06-2008, 05:56 AM
I hope I have enough sap to try switching the sides soon,Thanks for all the suggestions,,might be today? 29 deg. now,,,supposed to be 40-50 today,,,,would like to see a 2 gallon-tap run,,,,,was in the woods alot yesterday afternoon,,,couldent find a leak anywhere,,,,,snow definatly pulling away from the base of the trees,,,snowpack down to 18"-2' after the rain the other day,,,,,

Russell Lampron
04-06-2008, 06:01 AM
We're starting to see more rocks and stumps now too but still managed to get the tractor stuck yesterday. I am hoping for some colder temps at night to keep things flowing over here. Good luck Parker I hope that you get the BIGSAP that you want.

Parker
04-06-2008, 06:02 AM
Got another question,,,how does everyone do continuious filtering with a press,,,I have always taken off a littel light on the evaporator (or tried to) and then finished in a finisher,,filtered all the syrup at once,,,I would like to take off the evaporator at density and run thru the press into a drum,,,save lots of steps-cleaning-changing papers,,,,,I am quite sure this wes fab 7"long bank would press like 80 gallons to a set of papers this year,,,,,
Do you charge the press with DE and water then just keep filtering as you draw? or do you put some DE in the press and add a littel to each draw? I dont want a bunch of DE in my barrell......
Thanks Parker

maplwrks
04-06-2008, 06:25 AM
Parker,
I Finish On The Rig And Run Right Through The Filter Press. Once My Draw Is Done, I Check For Density And Send It Through And Into The Barrel. I Gave Up On Using A Finishing Rig Ages Ago, As You Tend To Cook More Grade Out Of The Syrup. The Plus Side Is That You Aren't Handling Your Syrup Again And It's 1 Less Thing You Need To Keep Track Of While You're Boiling.

Parker
04-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Mapleworks- So how do you charge the press? Whats the tech?
I collected about 1600 gallons of 2% sap today.still cant find a leak in the vacuum woods,,,,,,,pumps will run all night....will start boiling around 10 tommrow,,,,I am praying it runs tommrow,,,,want to make 60 gallons in a day,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,YOU GOTTA HAVE A DREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!

wdchuck
04-06-2008, 08:41 PM
Parker- I made 52 Gals on 1800 of sap today- you can do it, man! "BIGSAP" up here today as you say. Vacuum will run most of the night and looks like another gusher tomorrow!

maplwrks
04-07-2008, 05:49 AM
Parker, I Just Put 4 Cups Of DE Into The Syrup And Recirculate It Back Into My Drawoff Tank For A Few Minutes And Then Into The Barrel. Hope All Is Going Well There ---We Made 115 Gallons This Past Weekend.

Mark-NH
04-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Parker,

Looks like we are on the home stretch and almost to the finish line about 20 miles west of you. It really hasn't run since Thursday last week. There is still some snow in the woods but the forecast for later this week is really warm. I'll keep the pumps on thru Wednesday as it is supposed to drop into the 20's the next coulpe night but I can't see getting much sap after Wednesday.

We are at 91 gallons bottled with maybe another 5 in the canner. Limping, stumbling and tripping our way to 100. I know you run colder over there so I hope it really lets lose for you this week. Keep us posted.

Mark

Parker
04-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Made 53 gallons of very good tasting B,,,,,

Parker
04-09-2008, 05:38 AM
Ran about 1/2 gallon a tap agine yesterday,held it till today,,I hate to start when I only have 1000 gallons on hand,,,much rather go thru 2000 at a whack,,it really takes 3 hours befor Marvin is really hammering,was surprised that Hill has been running better than rte.11,,,will try to start around 10,,,washed out syrup pan yesterday,,,thats loking a littel rough,,hopeing the distilled water I left in it the last 18 hours did the trick,,,,Still have not gotten any gallon per tap runs which surprises me,,,,,was too warm yesterday and will be too warm today,,,,but it has been freezing at nights,,,,still want to make another 400 gallons of syrup.................

TapME
04-09-2008, 06:33 AM
You may be surprised at what you have today Parker. It froze pretty good again last night and it will be the day of the big run. Today is the 60 gallon day for you. Have fun making steam.

maplecrest
04-09-2008, 08:50 AM
i see on the weather map you have been getting good freezes at night. had only two mild freezes in the last week. hope to hit the 2000 mark this afternoon. unless it freezes soon, my 1/2 gallon per tap is not going to happen this year, got everything on liquid ring pumps finally. my big condi thru a rod yesterday forcing the issue.still making a light DA

Parker
04-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Jeff- how are you cooling the ring pumps? did you set up the antifreeze loops?
Made another 45 gallons of a very nice B,,,,pumps will run all night,,,lot of people around me talking about throwing it in,,,,all "GLOOM AND DOOM" well, mabey,,,but I am not breaking my stick off for a while after the NOAA weather report I just heard,,,if your in the neighborhood bring you sap over hear and Ill boil it..........I can finally see light out the end of my woodshed.....I think I am up to 316 gallons,,,wont be happy till 650,,,,,,,,

New Hope Mapleman
04-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Parker, I've got an idea that might help us both out. If you have time call me!

Tried to send you a PM about it but can't make one go through.

Just thinking because I need to come by and pick up that pump. By the way I love the other one I found used this year so I am looking forward to finishing the conversions!

Have fun!
Dan

powerdub
04-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Seen too many throwin in the towel. Are the leaves out yet? No! Keep on! I hear they are paying top dollar for dark syrup this year. I am going till the sap stops!

Parker
04-11-2008, 05:23 AM
AHMEN BROTHER!!!!!!! KEEP THE PUMPS HAMMERING!!!!! We had a littel freeze last night,,have 1400 gallons in the sugarhouse,,I am sure we will get a littel more today,,,,at $2 a pound for the nastiest mung that Marvin can puke out I am going till the buds pop,,,,looks good early next week,,,,,TAKE YOUR SKIRT OFF AND PUT YOUR BIG BOY PANTS ON!!!!!!!!!!! ITS GO TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-11-2008, 07:06 AM
post edited

Parker
04-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Man-big diffrance between boiling 2.5% sap and 1.6% sap,,,1900 gallons made 32 gallons of good tasting B (New Hampshire B that is),,,weather forcast looks like it could go either way,,,,,,gotta run,,meet a fellow down at the crossroads,,says he interested in trading something or other,,says he can do something about the weather,,,big turn around and all.......think I am up to 349,,still have 18 cords,,,just gotta hit 650

hard maple
04-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Parker
I would have brought you up a load of sap but It looks like you might run out of wood too..........

PATheron
04-11-2008, 11:38 PM
Parrrrker- Keep up the good work. I think your going to hit your numbers. My sap went to 1% before it quit. Hope that dont happen to you and marvin. That would suck bad. You truck it down here Ill ro it for you but you might lose a grade. Thee(bigsapzar)roon

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-12-2008, 07:11 AM
post edited

Parker
04-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Kevin, My friend,,,,I am gonna dig a littel harder,,That is what I am gonna do,,,,Might be over,,BUT I think I can make another 2-300gallons,,,been wrong befor,,was almost 70 today,,,,Hoit road 1/2 a piddel today, 100gal?,,,,big buds on the reds,,,Rte.11,,releaser not working,,and almost no flow when I was running the releaser by hand,,,Hill,WOW,,,not gangbusters,,,but, I bet tommrow 7AM ther will be 600 gallons,,,,Vinigaring Marvin today-tonight-pretty dark (but very good taste) last boil,,,truck tanks clean,,,lots of work to do tommrow,,,,supposed to be 40's and 20's for 4 nights/days comming up after tommrow,,still have not heard the frogs-seen salimanders, gotta be a littel season left, was nice to meet local traders today,,Ill call next boil

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-13-2008, 06:17 AM
post edited

Parker
04-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Definatly hopeing for boxcars!! Collected 800 gallons from everything this AM,,dont have time to boil today-will plan on tommrow,,,Hill still running 3 days after the last freeze,,,Rte..11 not running at 22",,neither was Hoit road,,or putney,,,
I definatly need a freeze,,,19 deg.tonight please then 20's and 40's,,,,oh with a nice west wind,,,sugar content around 3% would also be nice

maplecrest
04-13-2008, 10:48 AM
parker, light freeze here last night with snow. today will be the first day i have not boiled in 12 days. going to drain and wash all tanks and releasers today going to get cold tonight[ i will hope ] and see what happens in the am.324 to go to be at .5 per tap.making a good B yesterday. scott making med amber with air injection

Parker
04-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Congratulations on what sounds like an excellant year for you,,that hard work paid off!

Parker
04-14-2008, 05:48 AM
Slight freeze here this AM,,,,like 30 deg. out,,,not but I had hoped for but better than 35 all night!!! We are gonna give it hell toady,,,off to service vacuum pumps,,,,,will boil after 1 today

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
04-14-2008, 07:14 AM
post edited

maplecrest
04-14-2008, 10:03 AM
got 1700 gallons yesterday, not enough to boil. froze last nite dumped the first 100 gallons this am did not filter, snot. see what happens from here. say freeze next three nites. hope sap clears up again

Parker
04-20-2008, 05:43 AM
Stick a fork in this season,,,,wound up making 405 gallons,(.2198 gal/tap,,,,,SMOKIN'),,last 3 boils or 65 gallons was very "special stuff",,,,Bruce bought it,,,he stuck that turkey baster in the jug,,took a big old pull and blasted it into his mouth as I was yelling SSTTOOOOPPPP!!!!!!!!! Too late,,he looked right at me and said,,thats not too bad,,,,,wow.........GAG,,,

Thompson's Tree Farm
04-20-2008, 06:55 AM
Hey Parker,
How much is Bruce paying for the "Quality Stuff"? Is it worth the drive over to pick up supplies etc? I have never visited them so might be worth the trip just on that account.

Doug T

Parker
04-20-2008, 07:32 AM
$2 a pound- Was definatly worth making it,,Ray- the felllow helping gather this year kept saying "Your really going to boil that?, lets just dump it" and I was saying,,,Its all by the pound at this point,,,,,

royalmaple
04-20-2008, 07:39 AM
Quantity not Quality at the end.