PDA

View Full Version : Is this tree ready?

SeanD
02-18-2008, 12:34 PM
I have a tree that has a 33" circumference, but it has a bit of an oval diameter. In one direction the diameter is a bit over 10", but in the opposite direction it's only 8". Is this tree ready for its first tap?

fred
02-18-2008, 12:55 PM
no wait till it has an average diameter of 12", you will be much better off in the long run.

SeanD
02-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Okay. What about going the other way? I have a couple massive trees that easily qualify for 4 buckets, but I thought I read somewhere to never put more than 3 taps in a tree. Is that right? Or was it never put more than 4?

twigbender
02-18-2008, 04:18 PM
I don't think I'd put four on a tree. In fact, I'll only put two on a tree no matter how big it is. I read a piece done from a study in Vermont that stated that the second tap on a tree will average about 50% of the first tap and the amount of sap from three or four taps drops dramatically. Is it worth the extra expense and effort for such a small amount of sap? You be the judge, but I've not had very good results from additional taps.

As far as your small maple is concerned, it's another judgement call. You could tap it, but as Fred stated, it is best to wait. The fact that one measurement is less than 10 inches doesn't mean much. A perfectly round tree (has there ever been one?) will have the least amount of sapwood for a given diameter. An oval, as in your example, will have greater sapwood, and correspondingly, at least in theory, produce more sap. But, if you can wait, it's better for everyone concerned, especially the tree.

jemsklein
02-18-2008, 07:43 PM
now here is a good question if your maple tree is growing on the edge of a spring or river doas it grow faster nad doas it produce more sap

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Almost always it will produce more sap the more access it has to water, as least that is what I have always seen every time and yes, they do appear to grow a little faster too especially around springs, I would guess the extra minerals would help this.