PDA

View Full Version : Tapped in Wirt N.Y.

The Sappy Steamer
02-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Well the forecast was mid 40s for Sunday & Monday so we jumped yesturday. Now they pulled it back to mid to upper 30s. That's o.k. though cause it fit my work schedule, which is usually the driver behind everything anyways for me. We tapped around 250 or so, but still have some buckets to tap yet. I don't know how you guys with thousands of taps do it. I think I have the attention span of a four year old. I'm in my glory for the first little while,then I start whining "Are We There Yet?" Feels good once you finish though. Good luck to all.
Dan

mfchef54
02-16-2008, 02:16 PM
where is wirt.

The Sappy Steamer
02-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Wirt is Northwest of Wellsville just a bit south of Friendship. North of Bolivar.

troes30
02-17-2008, 10:29 AM
good to hear from some new yorkers. we are going to start tapping monday. its early for us a little but school is on break so i have some help. should have about 5 or 6 of us. we have about 4500 taps on tubing and vacuum. hopefully we can get most of it tapped this week. they're saying now that tapping early doesn't hurt sap production per tap...especially with vacuum. i expect it won't run up here for a couple weeks. hows the weather in the southern part of the state lookin. we got a ton of snow up here the last 3 weeks so im hopin for a good season. the snow is above my knees in the woods now. ive been building a tubing system for a neighbor the last 2 weeks and the snow has gone from 1.5 feet to this...its been difficult. is anyone lookin for syrup. we have about 400 gallons left and frankly we need the drums. everyone have a great season.

The Sappy Steamer
02-17-2008, 02:51 PM
We've got just a couple inches of snow. Temp. is 37 degrees now, rising to near 50 overnite, then back to mid 30s in the morning. Dropping like a rock after that. We should get some sap but I don't expect much.