PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Grade Sets

Father & Son
02-15-2008, 10:27 PM
When a temporary grade set goes bad or no longer is any good what happens? Do they get darker or lighter? The one I have is from 2005 and was kept covered with the box all the time. I just got a 2008 set, and compared grade to grade is darker than the 2005 set. Is this right?

Thanks,
Jim

peacemaker
02-16-2008, 12:04 AM
yes i think if what u are saying is the old one is lighter then the new one .. then yes they get lighter or fade as i have read

nhmaple48
02-16-2008, 04:25 AM
The glycerin for these is mixed up in garbage cans in somebodys kitchen in Morgan,Vt. That should give you an idea how accurate they are.

Sugarmaker
02-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Jim,
I would think the older one may be lighter and would not be darker. But I would not expect much difference in 3 years especially if you have it covered?

Mixed in a garbage can in someones kitchen. Well that says volumes! Maybe I will start making my own grading kits. I think I would like a darker color for the light grade:) Then maybe going through the reds and into greens for the grade C. That would throw folks off a little. I would like to hear more about this!

Jim,
You shouldn't need a kit anyway! Your a pro!

Chris

HHM-07
02-16-2008, 03:43 PM
come come now what's wrong with the kitchens in VERMONT!!!

802maple
02-16-2008, 05:16 PM
They will get lighter in as little as year.

Sugarmaker
02-16-2008, 08:02 PM
I am sure the kitchens are fine just kidding!:)
I do usually get a new kit about every year I did not get one this year (yet).
A lot of things have change since I was a kid but I thought it was neat o grade the syrup as we made each batch. We usually had one light bulb that was clouded in steam and we did the best we could. Not sure my dad ever owned another kit as long as I can remember. We rarely mad any thing lighter than medium.

Chris

twigbender
02-16-2008, 09:05 PM
I can't speak for the kitchens in Vermont except one in St. Johnsbury. This one is on Hwy 2 just a couple blocks west of the Maple Museum. It's an old house made into a eatery on the south side of the road, just a hair before you get to the bridge. That kitchen will cook up a breakfast to die for!! And the service is wonderful. I didn't ask if they had any garbage cans in the kitchen that they were using to mix temporary grading kits in though. You'll have to go and ask them yourself.

royalmaple
02-16-2008, 09:31 PM
If you ever took a permenant set and compared to the "kits" you'd be pretty surprised. They are pretty far off from what is allowed. I'm sure they do this to some degree on purpose as kind of a safe measure to ensure people are within the grade.

The Governor and I checked a kit I had here which was new and light was maybe 10% off, med was like 15-20% off, dark was 30-40% off, and B was nearly 50% off. Gives you a guess anyway. But they are certainly not 100% correct or even close to that. But a good guage I guess and alot cheaper to own.

I'm guessing on those numbers but you get the point anyway.

Lwood
02-17-2008, 06:27 AM
I picked up a new kit recently. When I took the cover off of it, I wanted to see how much difference there was between my old one and the new one, there was no visable difference between the fancy and med sample. Nor was there any difference between the dark and grade B. I thought that some one had swapped the samples out and that I had 2 med samples and 2 B samples. Double checked them ... Nope had lables of all of the grades.
So either some one messed up when lableing the samples in the kit or I need to get glasses. I can still see a definate difference in the old one though.

3% Solution
02-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Hi all,
I picked up a new grading kit today and what a difference from the one I had (2001).
The samples were much lighter except for the "B" than the new one.
One good thing they lighten not darken!!
I guess we won't go so long next time!!
Dave

brookledge
02-21-2008, 05:43 PM
I know some retailers will let you compare your old grade kit to a new one. And if all of the grades are good you don't need to buy one.The key to making it last longer is keep it covered. That way sunlight does not affect the color. I've done that many times since there is no need to buy a new kit if all of your grades are good.
Keith

Mac_Muz
02-23-2008, 02:32 PM
WF MASON, was kind enough to give me one of these kits because he said it was old. It is dated 2007, and we compared this with his stock of 2008, and indeed the one I have is lighter in all colors than his new ones.

I don't sell any, so it really is just a trinket to have in my case. It might be I would have ruined pancakes as the first tate of glycerin would have told me something was wrong.. I had no idea it wasn't syrup.

I did think to ask "How Come"? there is new, this years colors? What is it they do over in vermont, to get all these grades when no other taps are running! "What?" "Do they put blankets on these special color tree's, and kiss them good night?"

I am such a fool...

Brian Ryther
02-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Last Year I bought a left over Temp. VT grading kit at the Leader store in Rutland. The sales man told me the left over kits were ok for reference, but if you are selling the syrup retail don't be caught by the weights and means officer with the old kit.