PDA

View Full Version : Hydrometers

jmbinventions
02-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Do you feel it is necessary to purchase a hydrometer before boiling the sap?

Sugarmaker
02-14-2008, 07:10 PM
No you can make syrup with out one and get excellent product. Two options the old fashion way by watching the syrup apron off of a ladle. cost = $0 Or better is getting a good candy or syrup thermometer and finishing the syrup at 7 degrees above the point that water boils that day. digital ones cost =$30-40

Chris

Maple Restoration
02-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Chris has great point both options very cost effective for the same price I pick up a compensating hydrometer and it has taken all the guesswork out getting it right no mater the temperature of the syrup is. Just my too cents. But either options work

Sugarmaker
02-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Maple Restoration,
Very nice pictures not sure who the boys are but my guess is they are future generation sugar makers! Enjoyed all the pictures. You have a great sugarhouse. And I can see that you and friends are enjoying it.

Chris

Bucket Head
02-14-2008, 08:20 PM
This might be a dumb question, but what is a "compensating hydrometer"? Is it just another name for a basic syrup hydrometer?

I ask this because I had some trouble last season drawing off finished syrup. I drew off at the hot test line, but when cold, it was'nt syrup. Maybe my hydrometer is bad.

Is the compensating hydrometer less prone to error's? Until I figure out what's going on, I will be using the thermometer to finish syrup.

Steve

Maple Restoration
02-14-2008, 08:40 PM
First off thanks Chris I m glad you enjoyed the photos, every thing has come a long way from what it was to what you see in the pictures as for the boys one of them is my friends kid and the other is a class mate they did their school project on maple syrup last spring.

And to help clear things up for you Steve the compensating hydrometer has a thermometer set inside the hydrometer with a compensating scale witch give you the exacted bricks no mater the temperature. I hope this helped.

hard maple
02-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Hydrotherm

tapper
02-15-2008, 06:39 AM
Buchet Head.
No your hydrometer is not bad. As syrup cools the hydrometer will float higher. I have a chart indicating brix at different temperatures when I figure out how I will post it.

Brent
02-15-2008, 06:49 PM
here is a link to a seller of Hydrotherms that offers some explanation

http://www.atkinsonmaple.com/

on the menu go >equipment > testing > instruments
then scroll down

Around here they are called Quebec Hydrotherms. I don't believe they are certified in any jurisdiction as legal for qualifying syrup as real maple syrup.
Some of the syrup we made using one last year came out heavy and crystallized in the bottles. Maybe user error. I won't be using it this year.

thenewguy
02-15-2008, 09:29 PM
I had the same results with using a hydrotherm, seemed to make the syrup alot "heavier" and I too had crystals in the bottom of the glass..... I find that a combination of the syrup thermometer and hydrometer makes perfect syrup