PDA

View Full Version : Witch is better raised or dropped flues

Maple Restoration
02-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi every one just a quick question I am looking a getting new custom pans made for my 2 by 6 and I am not quit sure witch is better raised or dropped flues, my arch will handle both. Any input would be great.

Thanks.
:confused:

danno
02-14-2008, 01:44 PM
This should prove to be an interesting thread. If you search the Trader, you will find similar threads. When it's all said and done, I believe the concensus is that both are great, and one is not better than the other. It's just a matter of what you''ve used in the past and are more comfortable boiling on.

Oh yeh, I almost forgot - raised flue is better:) I like the two float system, the fact that it is easy to drain my pans and I don't have to be careful about those drop flues hanging down when loading wood. From the other perspective, now that I just raised my arch and my raised flue pan seems like it's about 8' in the air, a drop flue would be lower.

I've never boiled on a drop flue, so you should hear from others.

Riverdale
02-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Our old 3 X 8 had drop flues, and like Danno mentioned, you always had to be careful when loading wood. A part of the reason we upgraded was leaks on the bottom corners of the flues, aside from going to all stainless.
Current 3 X 10 has raised, and I also am a fan of the 2 float system.
My preference having boiled with both is the raised.

802maple
02-14-2008, 04:05 PM
My preference also having boiled with both is also the raised mainly because of the 2 float system and the quicker response of getting sap to push out any problems that might occur in the front pans. There are better raised flue pans and the best ones have there transfer tube between the front and rear pan below the top level of the flues so that you can run your pan flue pan shallower and still be able to get a full pipe if needed. Raised flue no question.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
02-14-2008, 06:59 PM
right now i am useing a drop flue its lower to the floor which is nice but would like to go to a raised for the 2 float system

RICH

Maple Restoration
02-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the input it sounds like I will be looking into getting raised flues for the new pans for next year; I’m still new and always glad to have all the input possible. But for this year will be sticking with our flat pans. I run them low but run them hard, they work well but it would be nice to have the extra boiling surface.

Well looks like mother nature is going to give us a good dumping tonight haven’t needed the snow shoes yet, off to the bush this weekend to help a friend finish tapping the rest of his 15000 taps and finish installing his new steam a way, nice addition to his steam fired evaporator. I’m kind of jealous those he can go from cold sap to full boil in about 30 seconds.

If theirs any more insight to the raised flues I will be glad to read more but thanks again.
:)

brookledge
02-15-2008, 05:31 PM
If you are going to have a small evaporater I'd say your better off with a raised flue but when you get into the 5' and 6' width I believe the manufactuers have more flues in the drops vs the raised. I've owned both and I wouldn't be afraid to buy either type
Keith