PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the hole in the tree when you are finished...

HAHA I 1
02-13-2008, 02:28 PM
OK, so if you recall, this is my first time tapping. Several folks have told me that when the sap is finished running, you just pull the taps and walk away. Still doesn't seem right - it seems like I should do something to the tree. At least a "Hey, I appreciate what you did for me this year, and I promise to poke another hole in you next year." But seriously, is there any treatment I should do to the tree after the taps come out?

peacemaker
02-13-2008, 02:37 PM
nope nature will take over and heal her up depending on her health and the size tap 2 to 3 years .i personally leave a little corn meal and thank her for all her sap but i am a bit different that way

maplehound
02-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Giving her a good pat and a Thank You is about all I do. Sometimes taking out competing undesiable trees crowding her would be a good gesture as well.

Brent
02-13-2008, 04:06 PM
I've read where many years ago folks tried plugging or treating the holes and they came to more grief than just saying "thank you, see you next year" and walk away.

PATheron
02-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Cut and dried on this one. Ive both plugged the holes and left them and plugging them is the worst thing you can do undisputable. Ive got some trees to prove it. It leaves like a splinter in the tree that never heals right. Like leaving a big splinter in your hand. Do them a favor and let them be when your done. Theeeron

Maplepro
02-13-2008, 07:45 PM
My Grandfather Pluged our tress one year and we still see the damage that it caused i would recomend just walking away

mfchef54
02-13-2008, 09:41 PM
having not tapped since 05 i will tell you that all the tap holes have filled them selves in quite nicely. I talk to my tree all the time. thanking them and giving a little pat. my son thinks i'm nuts.

802maple
02-14-2008, 05:35 AM
All I do is pull the hole out and throw it away,

jemsklein
02-14-2008, 05:45 AM
i just pull out the taps and let the tree do what it doas

H. Walker
02-14-2008, 07:12 AM
All I do is pull the hole out and throw it away,
Would it not make more sence to pull the hole out and keep it for next year!!!

HAHA I 1
02-14-2008, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the feedback, folks. I just needed to hear it again!!

802maple
02-14-2008, 07:44 AM
You are right H. Walker, I could keep them in the freezer and it would save on tapping bits. Good idea.

Russ
02-14-2008, 12:14 PM
The problem with that is keeping track of which hole goes with which tree... you don't want to mix holes among the trees, for fear of transmitting a potential disease or bacteria. Labeling them is a b*tch; it's better to start out with new ones each year.

RileySugarbush
02-14-2008, 01:52 PM
I had that worry when I started saving my tap holes between seasons. Solved it by rinsing them in peroxide. Then you put them in any tree you want. Don't use bleach, the squirrels will find them and chew them up so they leak.

802maple
02-14-2008, 03:47 PM
I think I will rinse them with Old Captain Morgan, maybe even Matt would help me. Then after that is all done we could make a toast to the hole project. Imagine what the Captain would taste soaked in maple holes.

Jim Brown
02-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Hey Guys don't you think we have "ragged ' on the guy enought that asked a honest question in the first place.I for one don't do any thing as I already have enought to do just finding the trees.

Jim

802maple
02-14-2008, 04:45 PM
I guess I didn't realize I was ragging on him so I will get back to my serious side. I forgot this is a serious world that we live in.

I am truly sorry if I insulted you HAHA 11

All you need to do is pull the spout and the tree will take care of it self.

royalmaple
02-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Jerry-

Waste good capt on tap holes. You better invite me over before you start doing that, I'll catch the drips.

HAHA I 1
02-16-2008, 06:53 PM
I guess I didn't realize I was ragging on him so I will get back to my serious side. I forgot this is a serious world that we live in.

I am truly sorry if I insulted you HAHA 11

All you need to do is pull the spout and the tree will take care of it self.

Its gonna take a LOT more to insult me! No offense taken. I am new to this board, but have been on similarly-styled car boards for a LOOOOONG time so I am used to ribbing the newbs. I actually went back to my original post to make sure I had not used the words "remove the hole" or something like that. I used to fool my kids by showing them my collection of paper holes - you just hold out an empty hand and say "see them? Aren't they cool?" Gets them every time.

peacemaker
02-16-2008, 07:40 PM
wait how did i miss the capt coming around ... pass me the bottle ...lol

802maple
02-17-2008, 05:09 AM
I actually wasn't pointing it at you at all but somepeople thought I was so I stopped posting. I thought it might turn into something fun instead of most of the dry conversation that is on here just to be humorous once in a while. If WVmapler or Royalmaple or others had posted with the same title I would have thought it was just as funny. Nothing to do about the poster it was the post itself, that is why I waited until you got your answer. We are getting so politcally correct that we have to walk around like zombies for fear of upsetting someone.

H. Walker
02-17-2008, 11:13 AM
I rent taps on Goverment land and in the agreement it states "tap holes to be left open"! That comes from Dave Chapeskie the new Executive Secertary for the International Maple Syrup Institute who used to work for the Ontario Goverment.

Now it should be noted that some suppliers still sell cork plugs for tap holes @ 11 cents ea. , would that maybe a be Salesman selling snake-oil!!!

Brent
02-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Those corks are made to be sold, not stuck in maple trees.

H. Walker
02-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Those corks are made to be sold, not stuck in maple trees.
So it's just a coincidence that the corks come in a 7/16" diameter, eh!

twigbender
02-19-2008, 12:30 PM
Hey, 802Maple, I never did think you or anyone else were dissing anyone on the site and the maple hole conversation was humorous. I'd say, "Keep up the good work!"