PDA

View Full Version : Filter press question

MaplePancakeMan
02-12-2008, 11:07 PM
I'm new with the filter press.... its a 7" press i ran 4 gallons of syrup through and mixed the appropriate 1/2 cup per gallon ratio. Syrup was 190 degrees and the filter passed particles and tasted a little gritty as if the aid didn't come out... whats wrong?

Pete33Vt
02-13-2008, 03:22 AM
I think most of the guys might need more info? What was pressure on guage when filtering? Where your plates on the press really tightend down? Sounds to me like its a problem with the papers, you should not have had any particles or gritty taste at all. All I can think of is a blown paper.

maplwrks
02-13-2008, 06:16 AM
Sounds To Me Like You Had Your Press Put Together Wrong---make Sure You Put All The Notches Are On The Same Side.

royalmaple
02-13-2008, 06:16 AM
Did you charge the press?

Brent
02-13-2008, 06:24 AM
here's a link to the University of Vermont, Proctor Maple extension, on the use of a filter press
http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/filter_press_brochure.pdf

and another at Anderson Maple
http://www.andersonsmaplesyrup.com/index.php?page=instructions_and_hints

I have found these very helpful.

Good luck

royalmaple
02-13-2008, 06:25 AM
Take a look at:

http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/filter_press_brochure.pdf

Step by step instructions on setting up and running the filter press. Very handy for anyone running a filter press.

gmcooper
02-13-2008, 06:37 AM
Really sounds like a plate was in wrong. 4 gallons shouldn't have been enough to blow out a paper.

Dave Y
02-13-2008, 07:27 AM
GM,
When you are filtering syrup with a press you have to run the first 2or3 gal back in to you bucket that you are filtering. then once you start filterin for keeps don' t run you pressure too high. and discharge some of your syrup back though the by-pass. It will take longer to filter but you will have very clear syrup.

Brent
02-13-2008, 07:44 AM
how many sets of plates are u using in the press. The short stack only has
3 pairs, I think the full set is 10 sets.

If you have 10 sets you likely did not have enough DE to coat all the papers.

If you have a 10 set unit and are doing small batches you can get a couple of tubes or pipes to act as clamping spacers. Set it up with 3 pairs of plates and measure along the rods to the thread where you put on the giant wing nuts to clamp. Cut the tube/pipe about a half inch longer than the first thread and you're set.

MaplePancakeMan
02-13-2008, 02:59 PM
I read the links, and talked to the guy i bought it from. Turns out i did blow a paper some how, perhaps it already had a tear in it. I think i'll get it down for next boil. What should the ideal pressure be like?

Brent
02-13-2008, 03:53 PM
from what I have read ... not yet experienced ... starting pressures should range from near zero to 20psi. By the time you get to 50 psi ... if you get there, you are in danger of blowing papers.

More experienced views will come from the group;

maple flats
02-13-2008, 08:29 PM
With mine the pressure starts at or near zero, as the pressure slowly starts to climb I watch it. When pressure reaches 40# I start opening the bypass valve slightly to keep it at no more than 40#. This works for me, never blew a paper.

MaplePancakeMan
02-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Absolutely the best investment in my life..... i got the hang of it today with a little help from all of you

THANKS !

brookledge
02-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Glad you got it figured out. I know that I really like mine and there is no way I'd be without one with the amount of syrup I make. I have a 7" press and have only three sections in so I don't waste papers. With all the plates it would filter 50-60 gallons. Since I only make 20-30 gal per day and my canner holds 20 gallons I run it through in batches and then into kegs.
Keith