PDA

View Full Version : burnt

wanabe
03-27-2004, 02:46 PM
Hi guys, just a guick question. Today I'll boiled my last batch for the year. I only had about 30 gallons of sap so I decided to finish inside because my level was so low in the pan. I did a test boil of water and It boiled at 210 so I planed to finish a 217. Ok heres the problem at about 215 it started to give off a burnt smell I kept going to 217 and the taste is fine but the yrup is medium amberand smells burnt. I had a ton of sugar sand, could this be the cause? Well anyway I had a fun this year and am already planning for next year. walked my property to figure out were to run a tap line(first time next year) and got prices for stainless to built the hood for the new 2x8 I will be using. Thanks to all for the advice I got this year it really made it an easier more productive year. Jeff

michaelh05478
03-27-2004, 04:51 PM
Jeff, Sounds like you di alright this year!! Good for you!! If you fed your 2x4 and it had channels for the syrup to go thru you could of used water to push the sap forward.. This would of put all the sugar in one place and you could of drawn off till all you had left was water and maybe a little sap...you could of used the water to clean up after you where done....Good luck on next years season...MIke

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-27-2004, 08:05 PM
Glad you enjoyed the sight and the advice and I will second the praise about the sight. I learn at least one thing about every day that helps make me a better sugarer. I don't think I will ever stop learning and I would like to thank everyone for all the help and advice you have given me. :D :D :D :D

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
09-29-2004, 06:41 AM
Wanabe- You have probably noticed by now that you more then likely had niter burn. Reverse the flow into the syrup pan(Switch drawoff sides) and this will help eliminate some of the niter that was building up on the side you were drawing off from.Get into the habit of switching sides every day or every other day-You'll notice the niter flakes in your filtered syrup...Kevin