PDA

View Full Version : A perfect system

Al
03-27-2004, 09:17 AM
If there is such a thing as a perfect system is this how it would work for a small operator. Evaporator,finisher,cone filter,filter canning rig. If you have a filtering/canning rig do you need a filter cone?
I have a nice evaportator, a stainless steel turkey finisher,coffee pot filter system and another coffee pot for overflow.
My thoughts for next year are a better filter system. My syrup still comes out cloudy. So would you do a 2 cone system or a filtering/canning rig?
Boy alot of brain cell activity this morning. :D How much is to much filtering?
Take care

oldemaple
03-27-2004, 07:01 PM
I would definitely go with the filtering/canning rig. You will be saving a lot of time and effort by combining the two steps into one. On my Grimm rig I use two prefilters on top of the felt filter and it works fine.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-27-2004, 08:02 PM
Al,

I would second the filtering and canning rig for someone like you. They make a 16X16 table top unit that will filter about five gallon for some one like you that is not going to expand too much and it would be perfect.

As far as cloudy syrup, I have used cone filters for years and years, and this is the first year I have went to flat filters and I have never had any cloudy syrup in hundreds of gallons of syrup. Did you wash your filters really, really good before using them the first time?? I can't figure out how you or others are getting cloudy syrup. :? :? :?

As far as filtering, whether I use the flat filters or cone filters, I start out with at least six prefilters and then pull them off one by one as they become clogged. Six is the magic number because if you buy two filters and a pack of prefilters, there are twelve prefilters in a pack. This leaves six prefilters for each one filter. By the time you go through six prefilters, the filter is clogged enough to change it too. That way you have another clean filter and six clean prefilters. I can usually filter somewhere between 5 and 10 gallon on one filter and six prefilters, it depends on the sugar sand. I filter the sap before it goes into the holding tank and then filter it in the gas finisher, I don't usually filter it when it comes off the evaporator.

Hope this helps! :D :D :D :D :D If you are going to invest in something, go with something that uses the flat filters because there is a ton more FLAT surface area. The cone filters always clog first in the bottom which is the worst part. :?

WF MASON
03-28-2004, 05:33 AM
I know many people who come off the evaporator and go through a cone filter , the syrup is thin and boiling so it goes though it good , then they pull the filter and dump the syrup through the flat fliter in to the finisher. BUT, many have asked me , 'I've filtered twice and still get sediment in my glass', this I hear alot, If you are going into glass , when you finish or boil the syrup that last 15-20 minutes ,THAT, brings out the niter or sand in the syrup.So after finishing many drain the finisher though a clean cone filter to get that niter that was just made. dump it back into the pan and bottle. I forgot the question ? OH , flat filters,yes they work better.

Salmoneye
03-28-2004, 05:55 AM
I have seen sand in my life...

This year is one of the 'sandiest' ever...Also...If the 'sand' is dark black and does not filter well what you really have is 'dead bodies'...Dead bodies are what is left of the bacteria growth when you kill it during boiling...Can easily lead to a 'burn't smell when finishing as the 'dead bodies' burn more readily than nitre...

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-28-2004, 07:14 AM
In the past, I have taken the syrup off well before it is syrup many times and filtered it and then finished it and I don't usually ever have any sugar sand develop in the final cooking. I have done it for years without any problem. According to the Producers guide, if you get the syrup to 45 degrees or above on the Brix scale, no more sugar sand will form and this has always seemed true for me. That is about 4 degrees above the boiling point of water, so I don't know. If you take it off at 45 to 50 degrees brix, it will filter a lot easier especially in cone filters because it is a ton thinner. :D

Glad my low sugar content sap doesn't give me all the problems you guys have up north! :? :?

wanabe
03-28-2004, 07:40 AM
I have no idea what i did!! I don't have a good method of filtering yet I usually pour my finished syrup into quart jars and let them sit over night then pour off slow into another jar leaving the sand in the first one. Well I cooked up my final batch last night and it smelled burnt well thats because somehow it is burnt poured out of the jar like mud this morning. I just wanted to scream 6 pints down the tube.. That may not sound like much but i only made 6 gallons this year Oh well next year will be better.
Jeff

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-28-2004, 07:47 AM
Jeff,

I don't know what happened there unless it has to do with the huge amount of sugar sand this year and the sugar sand scorched.

As far as filtering, if you will let the syrup set in your jars for several days, even more sugar sand will settle to the bottom versus just overnight.

wanabe
03-28-2004, 07:55 AM
Brandon, Somtimes I pour it back and forth several times and I've never had any sand it the end. This year the sand was terrible the last section of my pan looks like a beach. I thought I might have to dig a hole to let the syrup out. Well a friend of mine is going to set me up with a filter system for next year Im not sure what hes using but he makes some nice stuff with his 2x8 leader.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-28-2004, 07:57 AM
Jeff,

Sounds like the sugar sand scorched and gave the syrup a scorched smell and taste. Might have somehow changed the consistency of it too, I have never heard of it turning to that conistency. :?: :?:

backyardsugarer
03-29-2004, 07:23 AM
Al,

I use a prefilter off the evaporator. Then I use a cone with 2 pieces of re-rod through the loops set up in the air on chairs with a pot below it. I dump in the syrup and it runs into the pot. It has not failed me yet and it is cost
effective.

Chris