PDA

View Full Version : surge sp-11 question(s)

tuckermtn
02-10-2008, 09:46 PM
I am trying to get my hands on a surge sp-11...the one I'm looking at does not come with any motor or sheaves...so does anyone know what the recomended RPMs are for an sp-11?

looks like the sheaves that are on most pumps are 12"- but are they typically run with one belt or two? What is the size of the sheave on the motor end?

motor I have is 1hp 1750 rpm.

gmcooper
02-10-2008, 10:21 PM
I have one up in the shop that is all set up and might be original. I can measure pulley diameters. I think this one has a 3/4 hp motor. The ones I have seen have used just single belt.
Mark

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
02-11-2008, 05:43 AM
Mine Has A 3/4 Horse Motor And The Pulley Is 2.5 Inches Single Groove

Rich

gmcooper
02-11-2008, 05:02 PM
I checked my old one this afternoon. It has a 12" on the pump and 3 1/4" on the motor. I believe the motor is 1725 rpm.
Mark

tuckermtn
02-14-2008, 06:43 PM
wondering about how loud an electric motor surge sp-11 might be? the one I'm looking at does not have a muffler/rain cap/relcaimer on it...is there another way to make one of these, or should I buy one of the genuine ones? Anyone have a muffler/cap laying around that they want to sell?

also- what are folks running for oil? There is surge vacuum pump oil available, but its like $18 a gallon...

have a good one...

tuckermtn

gmcooper
02-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Personally with those old sp-11's I would stick with the Surge Vacuum pump oil. They do not use much at all and I would do what ever it takes to keep it running. The ones I have used and seen in use are not very loud. A flapper might be good to help keep out moisture but I don't see that you need a muffler.
Mark

Parker
02-15-2008, 04:09 AM
I think the sp-11 I had was just one belt but it was a wide belt,,cant remember how they are rated,,,,mabey a "B" series belt? As for oil,,be careful,,the surge pump oil you get noadays is for vane pumps I believe,,,not piston pumps,,,which have not been made scince the 50's,,,,I would run 30wt. on detergent moter oil with a dash of marvel mystery oil, early in the season,,later on in the season when it gets warm out put a littel summer weight bar and chain oil in it,,my 2 cents

gmcooper
02-15-2008, 07:04 AM
Parker thanks for the info on the oil. I never thought about that end of it.