PDA

View Full Version : tossing around a few ideas on my new evaporator, give me your thoughts

markct
02-10-2008, 08:19 PM
well my 100lb propane tank evaporator has been working well so far, but i already am itching to go bigger next year. i have two 20 inch square pans, i was thinking of making a arch from sheet steel, shaped like the 19 x 36 waterloo basicly. now my plan for the two pans is to link them together on the side with a couple welded in nipples and elbows with a ball valve between them, and a union to disassemble of course. my idea is that basicly it will work like a two section pan, and when i wanna concentrate it down a bit more i will close the valve and boil down a bit more before i drawoff some, as i flood with more from the back pan, and then finish it off on my turkeyfrier as i do now. or maybe add a couple baffles to the front pan i was thinking, like i said just my ideas, would love to hear your suggestions etc before i cut any steel!

Sugarmaker
02-10-2008, 08:25 PM
markct,
If it will hold sap and you can get a fire under it you can make syrup. So I am sure your idea will work . Half the fun is dreaming up ways to do this easier and faster.

Good luck with your new design.

Chris

Gary R
02-11-2008, 08:16 PM
markct,it might be easier and cheaper to weld the 2 pans together. Cut a hole through the 2 pans and weld that joint. Then use a manual sliding gate to block off the pan sections. But, as you grow, you may want to use 1 of your pans as a finishing pan so you wouldn't want to weld them.

Many ways to do anything!