PDA

View Full Version : universal vaccum pump

maplekid
02-10-2008, 07:42 PM
i just pickjed up a universal vac pump and was wandering how these things work. what they need to operate. and how much do they sell for. and does anyone have pictures of one?
thanks in advance

Parker
02-11-2008, 05:03 AM
On the pump head where it bolts to the tank there should be a name in the casting like "major" or "senior",,,,if it is a vane pump,,,,,which it probably is,,never seen a universal (massport) piston pump,,,,vane= there is a steel bilett that rides on a shaft supported by bearings in the enplates of the pump housing,, the billett has 3 slots cut in it wich have plastic paddels (vanes) in them, Oil enters the pump thru the oil drippers on top of each bearing,(one in each endplate),the oil runs thru the bearings and inside the cylender,,,the cylender is oblong inside,,
,as the bilett rotates inside of the cylender (pump housing) the vanes slide along with a sheet of oil between the cylender and the vane,,the vane grabs air in the larger (under the intake pipe) section on the cylender then pushes that air out the smaller section of the cylender and out the exhaust pipe,,,some oil is also pushed out the exhaust,,,the oil is the key to this process as it keeps the bearing lubed,,creates the seal between the housing and the vane ,,and keeps everything cool,,,,,,,,seems like there would be a easier way to explaine it,,mabey I need another cup of coffe,,,,,,,check your e-mail Ill send you some pics,,

With a universal you shoud be able to put you hand on the intake,,turn the pump over by hand and feel suction,,,make sure there is not a bunch of junk inside the pump housing when you turn it over,,,,you dont want to score the inside of the housing,,,if the head has been sitting a while,,might be seized,,fill it with diesel fuel (intake and exhaust) clean throughly,,then try agine

maplekid
02-11-2008, 08:17 AM
it uses electric(no motor though) it uses a piston to pump. i got this out of an old old milkhouse and the brand name is universal vacuum pump. im going to sell it just neede to know what i needed
p.s. i got those pics mine doesnt look like that mine is a square box with a piston cylender on one end a a flapper on the other. im going to post pics today and i will post a pic of that vaccum pump

Parker
02-11-2008, 08:40 AM
HUNH,,,,never seen on of those,,how big is it? like what do you think the diameter of the piston is and about how long might the stroke be,,,just curious,,,,,,what do you think it weighs?? does it turn over? if it does it should make vacuum when turning over by hand

Parker
02-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Maplekid-your album is locked so cant look at pics

maplekid
02-11-2008, 09:25 AM
sorry didnt log in i will have pics by 2:00.
the piston is about 3 in in diameter and it wighs close to 80 pounds.
its got what looks like a flapper like on releasers. i couldnt find any info on it so it cuold be a rare one.

gmcooper
02-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Maplekid
I may have seen a pump like your describing 20 years ago in an old barn.
Your photobucket is locked needs password to open. I have never been able open to see your pics. Sounds like maybe I'm not the only one.
Mark

super sappy
02-11-2008, 03:03 PM
They are a small pump .Have one that I havent taken out of the barn yet. it has a 3/4 hp motor. Then it turns over it chugs but dosent seem th have vacuum like the vane style. ......... Parker are all the vane paddles plastic? I have never taken one apart.I just asumed that they were some sort of carbon like a brake pad. I have permissinon to go thru a barn full of old milkhouse stuff ( retired dealer ) I am not sure what I am looking for besides the actual pump heads.-ss

Parker
02-11-2008, 06:01 PM
To be honest I really am not an expert and dont know,,just know what I have taken apart and found parts for,,,,,,I have herd that most vanes are composit? The one I have delt with (surge76) were plastic.
Never had to take a massport apart.

maplekid
02-11-2008, 06:35 PM
mine when i turn it overt it burps and girgles and it belches

Parker
02-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Put your hand over either the exhaust pipe or the intake pie and turn it over,,any vacuum or pressure?

maplekid
02-11-2008, 07:01 PM
yeah it got suction i can feel it when i turn it over

super sappy
02-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Come on maple kid. I have been clicking on your pic for months now. Alwayse says you need a password. I for one want to check out your operation you have done alot of work in the last year. lets see it. SS

Mike
02-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Yea Kid!!!!!!!!!!HOW DO WE LOOK AT THEM????