PDA

View Full Version : Bulk tank weights?

gmcooper
02-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Didn't know where this fit in but here goes.

How heavy are bulk milk tanks? Looking at a 600 gallon tank complete with covers.???

Also about 250 gallon with cover, this is an older tank for sure.???

Just looking for a ball park to make sure I can get them loaded. They are not in the same area at all.
Thanks
Mark

tuckermtn
02-09-2008, 10:17 PM
the 300 cherry burrell tank we have is heavier than I would have expected...we off loaded it with my 30 hp Kubota tractor which picks up 1000 lbs...but we just had it in the back of the pick-up, strapped it, then pulled the truck out from under it...so I'm guessing close to 1000 lbs for a 300 gallon tank...

its Cherry-Burrells' farm tank which is jacketed, has stubby legs and an agitator...

super sappy
02-10-2008, 05:31 AM
.My guess 3.ooo lbs. I just moved a 325 Flat top. By far the oldest and heavyest tank of this size that I have moved. I had to jack it into old oxygen tanks to roll it. Thank god for johnson Bars. Before the oxygen tanks I had it on a wood skid on a concrete floor and due to the location I thought I could hook it up to the tractor and use the lugall to yank it. No luck tractor was not heavy enough. Wound up getting a local roll off flatbed guy to come and get it. On the same note I have a newer Solar 275 and I can slide it around with a 2x4 and a 6x6 block. I have 2 more tanks to go both 400 gal and I dont think that together they weigh as much as the 325. In my opinion once you get them out it is much more practical to get a roll back guy to transport them unless you have the right heavy equipment to lift and haul safely. With the price of scrap the way it is. the last I heard $800.00 a ton for dirty stainless at the port of Albany. Get em wile you can -Just my 2 cents -ss

maple flats
02-10-2008, 08:04 AM
There seems to be a huge variation in weights. I have 2 Sunset tanks, a 415 gal and a 545 gal, both with lids and they are only about 4-500 lbs (guess), but I have a SS pre-cooler tank (has inner and outer skins with water chamber between for flowing spring water) and that on at about 300 gal weighs well over 1000". My tractor loader is rated at 1050 # lift and it can barely lift one end at a time. I think it may go between 1500 and 2000 lbs. The 415 gal 4 men carried it onto my trailer using straps under the tank, the 545 I loaded with 1 old man helping, tipped it up on nen, rotated it 180 degrees and lowered one end onto my trailer, then put my shoulder on the back end, while pushing upward to lift and slide, it did move a little, but then a neighbor to the old man saw me and helped finish it, 2 men was way easier but I think I would have gotten it alone if need be. The help WAS SURELY appreciated tho. The heavy tank took a winch, planks, pry bars and lots of sweat. BUT this was a free tank, well worth it, but no covers.

maplehound
02-10-2008, 05:30 PM
The besst way I have found to handel these tanks. ( without the use of a front end loader) is to put skids under them. We make them from 4x6 or 4x8's. Then we cut an angel off each end to allow them to slide easier. Next we lay them allong the tank near the legs and mark where the legs will set on the skid. Then we drill 2 1/2" wholes about 2" deep into the board. The tank is then tipped to one side with the use of jacks or pry bars and the skid put into place. When the tank is setting in the holes on both sides nail or screw cross boards in the front and back. Now the tank can be pulled with a tractor or a comealong any where you need it.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-10-2008, 05:39 PM
I have a 625 gallon sunset and I used a tractor loader and bucket and tow 2" tow straps. The tow straps are rated to 8,000 to 10,000 lbs and work as a nice sling without damaging tank!

Sugarmaker
02-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Yes weight is probably all over the place on these tanks. Plan on them being too heavy for two guys to pick, and get the equipment to lift them.
I have used a cherry picker to lift all the tanks that I have, and it works, the biggest is a 400 gallon. But I took all the double skin and insulation off as I moved it so the weight was much more manageable.

I did skid one out of a milk hose by putting wood runners , U-bolted to the legs. Pulled it out with a tractor then hoisted with the engine lifter and bached the pick-up under that was a 350 gallon and was complete unit. probably weighed 1200- 1600 lb?

Chris