PDA

View Full Version : propane tank icing up

The Sappy Steamer
02-09-2008, 11:09 AM
I've got a propane fueled finishing setup. It works well for me, but because it has multiple burners, it has a tendency to freeze up at the tank if I'm running it cranked up. Does anyone have any tips to eliminate that, other than changing tanks, or running it slower? Would a larger tank reduce the problem? It's nice to be able to crank it up high if I could not finish it fully at the evaporator because of time or whatever.

fred
02-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Use A Long Hose Or Bigger Tank

3% Solution
02-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Hi SS,
I agree with Fred get a bigger tank.
What is taking place is you are reducing the pressure in the tank and the propane is constantly boiling to keep up.
Yes that's right, boiling.
Propane boils at -44, yup that's minus 44 below zero.
So with the inside of the tank being so cold that's why you are freezing up.
Go to a propane dealer and ask then what you need.
Just my 2 cents!!

Dave

maple flats
02-09-2008, 05:54 PM
It can also help some if you tilt the tank about 45 degrees to give more surface area on the propane in the tank. This gives more surface to vaporize better. A larger tank is best or hook up 2 tanks teed together.

The Sappy Steamer
02-10-2008, 06:53 AM
Well, I guess that's clear enough. I'll have to break down and buy a bigger tank. I should have before now anyways. Thanks for the help guys

Brent
02-10-2008, 08:37 AM
If you can, putting a small fan blowing on the tank will help add enough heat to stop (some of ) the icing up. If you're in a sugar shack, maybe just putting the tank up on a shelf off the floor into warmer air may help. You will still get condensation on it so watch the location.

The bigger tank suggestions will work. You get more surface area to transfer heat onto and into the tank.

In extremely cold weather, ( -25 to -30 C ) I've had the process almost stop. I couldn't get a flame much bigger than a candle. So when you need it the most
you get next to nothing. This shouldn't be an issue at temperatures that sap is going to run at, but it demonstrates that the tank needs to gain some heat to vaporize the propane.

DaveB
02-12-2008, 06:24 PM
I've had the same icing problem....what size tank would make a difference? Would a 30 or 40lb tank be enough or do you need the really big 100lber to make a difference?

It seems to me that the tanks are the same diameter and thus the same surface area. If I can get more firepower with a larger tank, I'll try it, but I don't see how it makes a difference, unless you're talking about a wider tank. Just wondering...

I do like the idea of tilting the tank...and using a fan.

brookledge
02-12-2008, 06:37 PM
Usually you need to go to a wider tank to increase your surface area That is why after say 100 gal tanks they go to horizontal tanks other wise you would not get enough evaporation to take place to get the gas out quick enough.
If you are using 20 lb tanks and dont want to go out and buy others then do as maple flats said and hook 2 together and you have just doulbled your capacity.
Keith