PDA

View Full Version : Pump timer...countdown type

tuckermtn
02-07-2008, 02:38 AM
Does anyone control their vacuum pump with a countdown (i.e. I want the pump to run for 8 more hours) timer?

any model #'s or sources?

Or a heavy duty timer like you might have on X-mas lights or lights in your house? these seem cumbersome since they require you to pull out those little trip-tabs for when you want it on/off

Its a small (I think 1/2 hp) motor w/ 3 prong plug that powers a sap sucker at a neighbors house and don't mind going over to turn it on, but would be handy to have a way to turn it off - say overnight- without another trip.

Uncle Tucker
02-07-2008, 04:33 PM
They make a timer for bathroom heat lamps that would work. I have seen some that go for up to 12 hours. If the motor is to big have the timer control a relay.

802maple
02-07-2008, 05:31 PM
I would think that a Thermostatically controlled on off would be better. That is what most large sugarmakers use, if they shut it off at all. Sometimes the tree doesn't know enough to stop running in 6 hours and 45 minutes. LOL

brookledge
02-07-2008, 06:10 PM
I would recomend that if you are looking for a starter switch then go thermostatic. If you do a search this topic has been discused and you can see exactly where andwhat parts where used by others
Keith

tuckermtn
02-07-2008, 10:34 PM
I actually have most of the gear for a thermostatically controlled set-up (thanks to powerdub- anyone know where he has been? HAven't seen him on here in a while) , but I'm sensitive to not running the pump at night since its not too far from a residence...and that is our power supply- so don't want to piss them off..

I think I can get my hands on a reasonibly heavy-duty x-mas light timer that I might give a try...

maplwrks
02-08-2008, 06:55 AM
I have a 3 hp pump that I use with a thermostat controlled starter. I hooked up a 240 volt relay with a Honeywell refrigeration control. The thermo allows for a temperature to start the pump and another temp to shut the pump off. The temp is adjustable, with up to a 13 degree differential in temp. Early in the season , I'll run a 3-4 degree differential, as the season goes along I'll push the differential out to 7-8 degrees. It's nice to know that the pump will run when it is supposed to, and shut off when frozen up. The pump is 14 miles from my home, so it is also a money saver!

hydrogeo
02-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Just got a Harbor Freight flyer and they had a medium-duty timer for less than $10 that looks like it would work for a 1/2hp motor.

Tuckermtn, how's the sabbatical going? Tractor Day just won't be the same without you this year....

Jon

Dave Y
02-08-2008, 10:42 AM
I would think that a control that senses sap flow would be better than a tempature sensening control. If you have one temp in the bush, and a different temp at the pump location, you may have sap flowing for a couple of hours before your pump comes on. Also you could have vacuum going to trees that aren't running. So if your vacuum came on and turned off with sap flow your sytem would be much more efficent. I am sure there is a sensor out there that can do that.

danno
02-08-2008, 01:35 PM
I actually have most of the gear for a thermostatically controlled set-up (thanks to powerdub- anyone know where he has been? HAven't seen him on here in a while) , but I'm sensitive to not running the pump at night since its not too far from a residence...and that is our power supply- so don't want to piss them off..

I think I can get my hands on a reasonibly heavy-duty x-mas light timer that I might give a try...

That's so funny - I saw this post and the first thing I thought of was - powerdub. I was wondering the same, where is he?

I had no idea who this guy was but he totally took care of me. Walked me through the process of putting the thermo in line. He even picked one up for me and shipped it to me with no cash up front. Really nice guy!

tuckermtn
02-09-2008, 07:44 AM
thanks for the harbor freight tip...I will probably check with the guy we plug in with about his and see if I can bribe him with some more syrup...

have my "touch a tractor" shirt on now as I type...the pre-school out here is thinking of something similar- but with Piston Bully snow cats and huge snow blowers...hope all is well in Andover...

-tuckermtn

Russ
01-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Danno, do you have the specifics on the thermostat control... parts list, schematic, etc? Or anyone for that matter... we have an opportunity to tap (no pun intended) a neighbor's power box to run our vac pump instead of a gas generator; we want Ma Nature to turn on the pump for us instead of having to drive over. Thanks in advance...

maplwrks
01-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Russ, Depending on your motor size, I have a list of components that I used to fabricate a themostatic starter for my pump. I don't have the list here, it is at work. If interested, I will pm them to you tomorrow.

Russ
01-11-2009, 10:54 PM
I think its in the 208-240 range; I don't recall for sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...

maplwrks
01-12-2009, 04:08 AM
Horsepower??

Maplewalnut
01-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Can't find the old thread that Brookledge refers to anyone remeber when it was....also interested in hooking the pump up to a thermostat...then I need a webcam on the releaser so I can watch it dump from work!

brookledge
01-12-2009, 07:16 PM
I just looked a little bit to and could not find the previous post where someone listed the parts you need. Basicly you need a motor starter that is hooked up to a thermo switch (within the limits you want). You can find them on Grainger. When you are working with large motors that have alot of amp draw just using a thermo switch will burn it out. That is why on things like big air compressors they use a small switch to turn on a motor starter switch. Sort of like a selenoid on a truck starter.
Keith

danno
01-12-2009, 07:59 PM
There were two threads that I remember on the issue. One under "automatic starter"

http://www.mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=2159

And the other under "magnetic starter"

http://www.mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=2443&highlight=magnetic+starter.

Russ
01-15-2009, 03:21 PM
OK, our vac pump motor is 1.5HP and can run on 115VAC @ 19 amps, or 230 volts @9.5 amps. This is what I found at the Farmtek site for a thermostat:

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10052&storeId=10001&productId=60399&langId=-1&division=FarmTek&pageId=ItemDetail&isDoc=N

Says it can handle up to 30 amps, so is a magnetic starter still required, especially if we run at the higher voltage level? I'm thinking that this isn't going to be cycling multiple times a day, so it shouldn't wear out/burn out for a long time.

brookledge
01-15-2009, 09:37 PM
The only concern you may want to check with on it with tech. service is the initial surge or peak amp draw. In otherwords if you have it a 115V when it comes on it will draw alot more juice until it gets started. If they say it can handle say 40 amps momentarilly then it would probably work for you.
Keith