PDA

View Full Version : sugarhill plastic bottle caps

dhbiker1
02-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Is it easy to overtighten these and ruin the seal? I had one pint last night that I put on and then put it on its side and a minute later the cap came off and syrup everywhere. I usually have a tendency to overtighten containers but I want to make sure it is sealed.

Dick
02-06-2008, 12:49 PM
They (Sugar Hill) had some problems with some of their caps a bit back maybe you have some of those. They reviewed it at the MSPAC meeting a few weeks ago. They even offered replacement caps. You should also fill tip and place the bottle upright not keep it on its side. The caps seals are not meant to handle the temp for that long. They said tipping for a few seconds is enough to sterilize that air left in the bottle and leaving them on their side only compromises the caps seal.

brookledge
02-06-2008, 05:59 PM
All I use is Sugar hill bought 3 cases of pints back in october of 07. I had an order for 300 pints and I didn't have a problem with any of them. I have in the past had one or two hear and there that I didn't tighten up enough and then it leaked as soon as I turned it over.
It sounds like you over tightened it and sriped the threads
Keith