PDA

View Full Version : 12v Releaser build

darkmachine
08-29-2024, 07:25 PM
After watching some youtube I have decided to build two lifters to replace 2 sap ladders that I have. The inspiration comes from a video Nate Bissell (https://youtu.be/6Q_GjDzvCRg?si=rCH4uqnpfO7rD_14) posted about a 12volt releaser. Basically it's a chamber with a float, and a pump inside. I'm good on the mechanicals, but down here in WV there aren't may old releasers to just "pick up". If they are around they command a pretty penny. That being said I thought i would go up the supply chain and see if I could source some large diameter PVC water line. The largest I have found at the moment is 12" which should be enough, but how on earth to you put the threaded ports in them? if someone could point me in the right direction of a pvc thread cutter that would be great!

Thanks!

JoeJ
08-30-2024, 05:27 AM
You just need to borrow or buy a NPT tap and hole saw the proper size of the port that you want to use.

darkmachine
08-30-2024, 10:33 AM
After I hit "post" I thought that might be the case, not too expensive, probably last forever just cutting pvc, lol. thanks!

DrTimPerkins
08-30-2024, 05:37 PM
Would be cheaper to drill a hole the correct size for a slip PVC fitting to glue in. No tapping necessary. Those large NPT taps aren’t cheap.

maple flats
08-30-2024, 06:29 PM
I agree with the good Dr. I have 1.25" and 1.5" taps but I've had issues getting them to go in straight. I seem to run into the issue because I am doing it be hand and have nothing on the end of the tap to help make it go in straight. I've only ever done it on 8" PVC and I was in a hurry, so I did it by hand in the bush and didn't take the time to drive back to the shop (a 14 mile round trip plus a walk into the bush of about another 5/8 mile) I should have planned ahead, but the 4 holes I tapped, 2@ 1.25" and 2@ 1.5", didn't leak but they looked real crooked, not my best work.

Bricklayer
08-31-2024, 07:32 AM
I am in the process of building the exact same thing. I set up a new bush last year and instead of having multiple sap ladders in various locations I ran all the lines to one location and put my electric releaser about 200’ from the collection tank at our sugar house.
Worked great. The releaser only needs to pump the sap about 20’ up and then gravity does the rest. No slugging of sap in the lines and no backward moving sap and vacuum loss when releaser dumps.

After seeing this I have decided to change 2 of my sap ladders in other bushes to 12v lifters instead of ladders.

So far I Havnt got much done but I have most of the parts.
I basically copied the design of my CDL horizontal electric. With a couple mods.
I have a 16” vac booster that I had for another project with no holes drilled in it. So I too have had issues with tapping PVC pipe. So I ordered uni-seals. They work amazing. Just need to drill a nice clean hole in the pipe and muscle the pipe through it. Takes some food grade grease and maybe a rubber hammer. But it seals perfectly.
I used uniseals on my mechanical releaser when I had a leak last season. And MES uses them on their releaser builds. Look them up. Way less work and gives a great seal.

SeanD
08-31-2024, 05:00 PM
I have a 16” vac booster that I had for another project with no holes drilled in it. So I too have had issues with tapping PVC pipe. So I ordered uni-seals. They work amazing. Just need to drill a nice clean hole in the pipe and muscle the pipe through it. Takes some food grade grease and maybe a rubber hammer. But it seals perfectly.
I used uniseals on my mechanical releaser when I had a leak last season. And MES uses them on their releaser builds. Look them up. Way less work and gives a great seal.

I did and they look like a great solution. Hard to believe they can hold up to pressure or vac.

Thanks for sharing that. I think I might use them for my overflows on tanks. Way easier than a bulkhead fitting. Here's an install video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU99xsNyB2Q

Bricklayer
09-01-2024, 02:34 PM
I was sceptical about them when I installed it but after checking on it multiple times for leaks I was amazed. They come in all different sizes as well.

DrTimPerkins
09-01-2024, 06:39 PM
One other tip if you ever need to get a really good leak-free joint. Use Marine Sealant rather than caulk.