PDA

View Full Version : Mouse odors in the sugar shack

Brent
02-05-2008, 05:57 PM
My wife decided today was the day to take the cheap panels off the inside walls of the shed that is becoming our sugar shack.

Mouse droppings were piles 2" high in many places and the smell yeugh....

What kind of ideas do any of you have for getting the smell out of the wood ... something short of a gallon gas and a match.

Maple Restoration
02-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Hi Brent I had the same problem when we found the old shack I just used a 75% bleach to 25% hot water in a plant sprayer to fix the problem. It should fix your problem the first time around if not give it a second shot.

jemsklein
02-05-2008, 07:42 PM
and then you set up like 10 mouse traps and for bat use some peanut butter they go crazy over it and you should get them like crazy

gmcooper
02-05-2008, 07:45 PM
If the bleech solution does not work try spraying on a coat if Bin sealer. We have used that in construction on a couple of fire jobs. Worked great on that.
I don't think cold weather will have much effect on the Bin other than slowing the drying time some.
Mark

Brent
02-05-2008, 08:20 PM
we got a couple of black 4 legged mouse traps a few months back

cats about 150 mice 0

we're looking at the collected debris from about 7 years of the first owners presence here. One would think that you woulda - shoulda known, if you make habitat, they'll move in.

A 14' x 10' shed with board and batten outer and misfit plywood/particle board inside on a 2x4 frame makes about 48 feet of ideal ground level mouse house.

The cats have apparently cleaned up. They come for kibble much more often lately.

All we have to do is get rid of the odor. or maybe "Mouse dung Maple" on the label.

hard maple
02-05-2008, 08:22 PM
When I built my new sugarhouse I left no places for mice to nest up.
I have penty of snakes in my woodshed.
They do a good job of the mice population.

peacemaker
02-05-2008, 09:05 PM
if the bleach dont help theres this stuff my wife uses at there pre school called urine digester ... back of the bottle has a web site www.nilodor.com
when we moved into our present place the girl before us had a dog and had no idea how to train or house break it smeeled just wonderful picked up a trow rug and the dog piss ran out ..we used this and amzing u could actaully see the piss bubble out of the wood it wiped right off ... then i painted just so i had a clean surface under the carpets and i refinished the floors ... i tried just bins on a spot of the floor and it came to the surface i bleached and scrub but it still came up ...i put two coats and then sanded it down and used the digester amzing ,.. i think the stuff smells like old baseball cards did when the still had gum in them lol

RileySugarbush
02-05-2008, 10:14 PM
There is another product called Nature's Miracle that works well. I used it when we moved into our sugarhouse. It is an old church camp bunk house and had been used for twenty years to hold our precious supply of empty cardboard milk cartons. We used to be into the Minneapolis Aquatennial Milk Carton boat races. Boy the mice loved that! Hundreds of nests.

Last year we cleared it out, pressure washed every surface, sprayed it with the Natures Miracle enzyme stuff and then sprayed every surface with shellac. That is a great sealer, and gives all the pine a nice glow. It lets decades of camp graffiti show through, too! Smells great now.

MR Electrician
02-05-2008, 10:15 PM
if all that fails try mothballs .
then apply a generous sprinkling of boyscout water .
that allways works

Fred Henderson
02-06-2008, 04:28 AM
Be sure to put a lot of poison in your wood storage area to make sure that they stay gone.

H. Walker
02-06-2008, 07:37 AM
if all that fails try mothballs .
then apply a generous sprinkling of boyscout water .
that allways works
Mothballs, I don't know which is worse the symptons or the cure!! There is enough off-gasing chemicals in mothballs that the syrup would be sure to pick up some sort of a taste.

peacemaker
02-06-2008, 07:48 AM
one thing to also remeber .. Wild mice transmit another serious disease. Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome is a rodent-borne virus that can cause severe respiratory problems and even death. Hantavirus is spread through the urine, saliva and feces of rodents, especially the deer mouse. Humans contract the disease by breathing dried particles of their urine or feces. This can occur by cleaning an indoor area that was infested by deer mice. The disease causes a victim's lungs to fill with liquid. Symptoms include muscle aches, fever and possibly chills, headaches, nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain and coughing. The symptoms develop within one to six weeks after exposure. Hantavirus cases are known to occur mainly in the Southwestern United States and eastward to Pennsylvania.

peacemaker
02-06-2008, 07:49 AM
In addition to disease transmission, introduction of ectoparasites, and food contamination, scientists are now finding out that rats and mice can produce asthma and allergies in the same way cockroaches and dust mites do. There will certainly be more research and new findings in this area in the near future. Apparently, people with allergies can develop hypersensitivity to proteins in rodent urine, causing asthma attacks. Results of skin tests on asthmatic children in major U.S. cities have shown that up to 18% of them have sensitivity to mice and 20% to rats.2,5 In one study, 95% of inner city homes had detectable mouse allergen inside.5 This study obviously points out the need for better rodent control in human dwellings.

forester1
02-06-2008, 02:26 PM
They chew on valuable items too. They would trash my ceramic blanket material.

MR Electrician
02-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Mothballs, I don't know which is worse the symptons or the cure!! There is enough off-gasing chemicals in mothballs that the syrup would be sure to pick up some sort of a taste.

have you ever smelled moth balls.

so how did you get theyre little legs apart.