PDA

View Full Version : Bone sauce deer repellant?

Moparguy55
05-20-2024, 10:05 AM
Anyone had luck with this ?

Will be transplanting 50ish sugar maples 1-3ft high. I am in deer country. Wondering what best solution is other than fencing in 1 acre?

Thanks

maple flats
05-20-2024, 07:08 PM
Either high fence or a 5' high protective cage around each treel Otherwise the deer will chew all of the buds off, eventually killing a majority of the trees.
A few years back I saw a writeup about a method that proved successful for blueberry plantings. They had a double fence, one at 5' high and a second one that went from the top of the first fence out at about 45 degrees, with 3 strands of electric wire. The angled one was attached to the 5' fence at the top and was free to pivot. Then as they were mowing they lifted the angled section enough to mow under it. I have no idea how many people were needed to do that mowing, but reportedly it was very effective, the deer have very poor depth perception and didn't even try to jump it, according to the report I read. However I never tried it.
At the time I had 4.5 acres in blueberries, but they were in 2 seperate plots, thus compounding the cost.

RC Maple
05-22-2024, 07:08 AM
[QUOTE=Moparguy55;415658

Wondering what best solution is other than fencing in 1 acre?[/QUOTE]

You can get 5' tree shelters for under $5 through Forestry Suppliers. I'm sure there are other places too. I bought some of the Tubex shelters 10 years ago for some trees I planted, and they've held up well. I just bought some more of them for my last round of plantings.

Moparguy55
05-22-2024, 08:33 PM
You can get 5' tree shelters for under $5 through Forestry Suppliers. I'm sure there are other places too. I bought some of the Tubex shelters 10 years ago for some trees I planted, and they've held up well. I just bought some more of them for my last round of plantings.

Are those the plastic tubes?

RC Maple
05-23-2024, 07:04 AM
Yes. I tried to attach a catalog photo of them but could not get the picture to load. The tubex shelters are more expensive but the protex option is cheaper.