PDA

View Full Version : Serving our syrup (inspection)

Grallert
05-16-2024, 10:30 AM
I have an FDA question.
We have made and bottled a few gallons of syrup here on the campus of of Miss Hall's School. I was hoping to be able to serve this in our dining hall for breakfast. Our chef says he can't because it's not FDA inspected. I can understand that and I hadn't thought of it. My question is How does one get inspected? Is it worth it as we have no intention of selling it off campus or on campus for that matter.
Thoughts?
thanks
Matthew

maple flats
05-16-2024, 10:11 PM
I don't know about Mass, but in NYS ag and markets does check at times. In my 20+ years my syrup as far as I know was only tested one time. I do sell at one store, it's possible an inspector has bought and tested some from there. The one time I know of I got a call asking if I had any syrup for sale. He didn't say who he was , just do I have any syrup. I said yes and met him at my sugarhouse. The only way I found out it was being tested by NYS ag and Mkts was that his car had that name on the side of the car. When I noticed that I asked him what the proceedure was. He said it would be tested in their lab and I would get a notice if there were any problems. I said, I wnted to get the report, good or bad.
The Report came back, good by the way , about 3-4 months later. He had bought (yes, he paid for a quart and needed a receipt. In the report they had far more info than I ever expected. It included wht I expected like taste, grade amount in the jug, was it correct. It also had a bunch of things I never expected. Insect parts, density, burnt or not, filtering quality, foreign substances, amount of lead and others I forget at this time.
My syrup was stated to be excellent, excellent filtration, very low lead PPM, no insect parts, no vermin parts or hairsmm I had put more than a qt in the qt jug, taste was good, not burnt taste and on the lead it gave PPM, (parts per million) but I forgot the number, but in comparison to what was allowable, it was very low, but no zero. Then it also showed that my labeling was all correct, my grading correct (at that time it was medium amber, before the newer grading system was introduced).
Maybe in Mass they have similar testing. Maybe others will chime in who are in Mass. This was not the FDA, I'm not aware the FDAQ tests maple syrup, it's possible.

BAP
05-17-2024, 05:27 AM
I have an FDA question.
We have made and bottled a few gallons of syrup here on the campus of of Miss Hall's School. I was hoping to be able to serve this in our dining hall for breakfast. Our chef says he can't because it's not FDA inspected. I can understand that and I hadn't thought of it. My question is How does one get inspected? Is it worth it as we have no intention of selling it off campus or on campus for that matter.
Thoughts?
thanks
Matthew
Ask your Chef if he uses any local produce or any other locally produced food and if it’s FDA tested. Any checking up on maple syrup would be done by a Mass state agency not the FDA anyways.