PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ontario 2008 soon to start!

Maple Restoration
02-05-2008, 08:30 AM
Mike:

Hi every one well the 2008 season is soon to start here, spent the weekend working on the evaporator re-bricking and had the first test fire the good new is theirs no leaks, no taps in yet. One of the larger producer over the next valley from me started tapping yesterday they said a few trees started running but he is all vacuum he should do fine. I posted a few picks from this weekend. Click below.

P.S. thanks for all the tips and advice it really help improve things.

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj90/mikes-maple/

ennismaple
02-05-2008, 09:02 PM
I think it's still too early for us - we're in Lanark County about 1 hour west of Ottawa. The 14 day forecast says there's maybe 1 or 2 days over the next 2 weeks where it'll just crawl above freezing. We've got records that go back over 20 years and we haven't made syrup before March 7. I don't want to tap for another 4 or 5 weeks because we'll still be making syrup the 2nd or 3rd week of April.

peacemaker
02-05-2008, 09:13 PM
boy i wish we had snow like u guys lol

MR Electrician
02-05-2008, 10:09 PM
we can sell you a few metric tonn of snow if you wanna haul it away

ennismaple
02-06-2008, 12:50 PM
boy i wish we had snow like u guys lol

We've got over 2' in the bush now but it's been waist deep at times this winter. Hopefully we don't have to tap in snowshoes this year. I spent 4 days stretching lines and tapping in 2003 because the snow was over waist deep and it was not much fun.

Maple Restoration
02-06-2008, 03:55 PM
We will be lucky to keep the 6-8 in. of snow we had this year no chance for snow shoes this year, up here!

ennismaple
02-06-2008, 08:35 PM
I just Googled Trout Creek to figure out where you are - holy cow you're a long way north!!! Almost to North Bay sure beats me. You're the furthest north of the producers that I know on this board.

Talked with my father this evening. He says the snow's crotch deep in the bush and if you get into a brushy area you almost need to stop, drop and roll out! We've been hit with a lot of snowstorms in Southern & Eastern Ontario this winter where a warm, wet air mass has collided with a cold front right over top of us. This is the most snow we've had in 5 years. The three feet of fluffy stuff we had before Christmas got compacted and hardened by rain into a foot of dense snow against the ground. Hopefully that'll make up for us having almost no frost in the ground when the sap starts.

Valley View Sugarhouse
02-06-2008, 08:56 PM
well the weather man said a trace to 1 inch by tues morning (we had 5 inches) then he said rain turning to snow wed afternoon with 5 inches by thur morning.. well we had 6 in this morning and they are now calling for another 8-14 by morning.... I think we are screwed. lol

jemsklein
02-06-2008, 09:23 PM
well right know we got about 1 foot of snow and getting another foot tonight

Maple Restoration
02-07-2008, 05:37 AM
I just Googled Trout Creek to figure out where you are - holy cow you're a long way north!!! Almost to North Bay sure beats me. You're the furthest north of the producers that I know on this board.

Talked with my father this evening. He says the snow's crotch deep in the bush and if you get into a brushy area you almost need to stop, drop and roll out! We've been hit with a lot of snowstorms in Southern & Eastern Ontario this winter where a warm, wet air mass has collided with a cold front right over top of us. This is the most snow we've had in 5 years. The three feet of fluffy stuff we had before Christmas got compacted and hardened by rain into a foot of dense snow against the ground. Hopefully that'll make up for us having almost no frost in the ground when the sap starts.

Yes we are a little further north just 30 min. south of North Bay, we did get a lot of sown this year but both warm spells we had really knock it down we do have a little frost in the ground those this should help, this years run.:rolleyes:

jemsklein
02-07-2008, 11:33 AM
ok the first snow storm just ended leaving us with 26 inches and schools have been closed for 2 days know we might get another 6 inches tonight also the snowplow drivers are on strike so not much is happening there might be now school tomorrow as well :rolleyes:

Maple Restoration
02-07-2008, 06:51 PM
James I would gladly take snow over the cold weather any day, send it up hear!:rolleyes:

jemsklein
02-07-2008, 06:54 PM
na i like having time off school besides it gives me more time to run my lines in the bush and get ready for syrup season

jemsklein
02-08-2008, 05:36 AM
well there was not enough snow last night to cancel the busses so looks like im going to school i will be back at 4pm

Maple Restoration
02-08-2008, 07:08 AM
well have fun at school should be a good weekend for you to work on your lines,
as for me I will be spending the weekend over at a friends bush tapping the rest of his 15000 taps.

jemsklein
02-09-2008, 04:22 PM
well i was out today and got more taps up wich brings us up to 366 taps still hoping for BIGSAP

jemsklein
02-18-2008, 07:27 PM
well i spent the hole day out in the bush today putting up as much taps as i can with the small amount of tubbing that i have left i got 34 taps out to day wich brings us up to 400 taps

Maple Restoration
02-19-2008, 07:13 AM
Hi James Glad to here you started and almost done, I washed all my taps last knight and I’m set to go for march first. If the weather holds true. I know the wife is happy to have all the syrup stuff out of the dinning room and back up at the shack.:rolleyes: