PDA

View Full Version : New ARC taps vs CV taps

Ryan Mahar
05-08-2024, 08:41 AM
Forgive me if this has already been discussed, and if so please point me to the post. THere are so many that it can be tough to find these discussions. I am wondering if Dr. Tim has shown a direct comparison of the new ARC vs CV spouts. We have solely used CV spouts since they came out. We believed in the research and have stuck with them. We have nothing to compare to. However, we are going to try 1/2 of our bushes with new ARC spouts. I have never completely understood why the CV spouts are still recommended even when vacuum is on 24 hours a day. The ARC spouts are 1/2 the cost. We have kept data for 10 years on the sap collection and when we have good vacuum, ~23-25 inches, with minimal leaks, we generally make .35 to .38 gallons of syrup per tap with the CV's. It will be interesting to see the difference with the ARC spouts. Can anyone tell me if there are any direct comparisons in research out there yet?? Thank you!

ecp
05-08-2024, 09:10 AM
While I am sure I will be corrected here is what I believe is the answer. There are other conversations, but I am having trouble locating them as well. The arc spout increases potential vacuum to the tap hole by reducing friction loss (I think all the research is using the arc tee and arc spout in conjunction so just using an arc spout will yield differently). If you get the arc spout with the barb option, the barbs allow for the spout to be closer to the outside of the tree which allows for more production because you not blocking off the most productive layer. If I remember correctly the barbs are better for early season production but as the season goes on they tappers off to being the same as a regular spout. I highly doubt you will ever see a combo barbed spout with a CV option because of the patents on each, and the relationship between the 2 manufacturing companies. Either way you cut it good sanitation practices are needed for high yields and there are several high yield producers out there that never use CV spouts.

Ryan Mahar
05-08-2024, 09:38 AM
Thank you, yes that is my understanding as well, but I am asking if there has been side by side comparison of output of the two spouts on high vac. In other words can I expect the same sap flow from the cheaper ARC compared to the more expensive CV. If so why would I spend the extra money. If I am going to get more sap per tap using CV, then they will still be worth the extra cost..... thanks

toquin
05-12-2024, 08:18 PM
Nothing for comparison. But I take all my lines down every year and the ARC taps got hooked on anything that was close enough. Going back to the seasonal straight.