PDA

View Full Version : Sap flow during the eclipse.

HowsItRunning
04-09-2024, 06:12 AM
Well, with all of the discussions in the media about the crazy things that happen during an eclipse, I figured I'd add one sugaring related. Some may know of my website http://howsitrunning.com where I monitor the sap flow in real time throughout the season, from the NEK of VT. Unfortunately, the weather the night before the eclipse didn't get anywhere near the 26F forecast, it got to about 31F, so the flow during the eclipse was low. As you can see, during the eclipse the flow rate dropped by about half. I'm sure most of it is temperature related and possibly solar radiation, but the trees did react to the change fairly quickly. Note that this flowrate is for 10 taps

https://howsitrunning.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/plot_sun_10t.jpg

DaveB
04-09-2024, 06:31 AM
Thanks for sharing that! Always interesting to see things like that.

DrTimPerkins
04-09-2024, 07:15 AM
Yes, this is interesting and I check the site periodically. We (and Cornell Maple Program) have done the same/similar sort of thing in different ways. We have photos of tipping bucket gauges being used in research at UVM PMRC back in the 1950s.

Tim Wilmot (retired UVM Maple Extension) ran a website called TREEMET for about 12 yrs with real-time sap pressure, flow, and temperature monitoring. We've used his data over the years in many ways. More recent studies (funded by Chittenden Co. Maple Sugar Makers Association - VT) at PMRC are doing a similar thing, but under vacuum (and gravity) conditions.

One issue we have using tipping-bucket style rain gauges is that they get kind of cruddy (scientific term :D ) as the season goes on, so they need to be cleaned regularly or the calibration gets really thrown off (they read progressively higher sap flow rates as the season goes on unless cleaned).

Where are you located in the NEK?

Bucket Head
04-09-2024, 08:19 PM
I, too, tried to monitor sap flow during the eclipse- but I couldn't see a dam thing with those tinted glasses on.

Steve

VT_K9
04-09-2024, 09:59 PM
I noticed a slight increase in sap flow about the time of the eclipse in our 2 collection tanks.

Mike

HowsItRunning
04-10-2024, 07:32 AM
Yes, this is interesting and I check the site periodically. We (and Cornell Maple Program) have done the same/similar sort of thing in different ways. We have photos of tipping bucket gauges being used in research at UVM PMRC back in the 1950s.

Tim Wilmot (retired UVM Maple Extension) ran a website called TREEMET for about 12 yrs with real-time sap pressure, flow, and temperature monitoring. We've used his data over the years in many ways. More recent studies (funded by Chittenden Co. Maple Sugar Makers Association - VT) at PMRC are doing a similar thing, but under vacuum (and gravity) conditions.

One issue we have using tipping-bucket style rain gauges is that they get kind of cruddy (scientific term :D ) as the season goes on, so they need to be cleaned regularly or the calibration gets really thrown off (they read progressively higher sap flow rates as the season goes on unless cleaned).

Where are you located in the NEK?

West Charleston.

DrTimPerkins
04-10-2024, 11:43 AM
West Charleston.

Ah...lived probably 5 miles from there in Newport the last 5 yrs or so. Grew up in Barton and sugared with Grandfather/Father/Uncle in Westmore.