PDA

View Full Version : NH Tubing Install

LMP Maple
04-03-2024, 07:19 PM
Hello all
Looking for some advice on tubbing install. I am hoping to add a mainline with a few branches for the 2025 season. I am pretty confident that I could accomplish this on my own but after pricing out the tools to do it correctly thinking it might be cheaper in the long run to just have someone do it. Looking to do about 150 taps. Question is can you rent the tools ie. gripple tool mainline splicer etc. It just seems crazy to spend 1000$ on stuff i will only use once. Will manufactures help with installs if you use their stuff? I am small time for sure but just wondering. Wondering if anyone has done this or has ideas.
Thanks

amasonry
04-04-2024, 04:03 AM
you can probably do it yourself. I have installed a couple in my bush without any special tools. even fixed them a couple of times.

SeanD
04-04-2024, 05:46 AM
Go ahead and buy the tools. They'll earn their money on the first repair you have to make.

BAP
04-04-2024, 05:56 AM
Some of the tools you don’t need to worry about for a small install. Use small cable clamps (1/8”) instead of gripples. Double clamp. We used them for decades before gripples were invented. Any fittings that you need to insert into the mainline like “Y’s or T’” can be put in using a little heat to warm the pipes. Either use a torch and carefully heat or some really hot water . The only tool you really need to buy is the drill bit that fits the saddle fitting that you use. Having all the tools for various mainline fittings is great if you have hundreds of taps or more, but for 150 taps, you can get by with using simple, basic items that you already have around your house.

mainebackswoodssyrup
04-04-2024, 06:25 AM
If you need any mainline T’s or Y’s and don’t have the mainline tools to press them on make sure you use plastic and not stainless. You will not get stainless fittings on without the tool and heat. Plastic you can get on with the right amount of heat. Fine line there of enough heat vs to much so try one in the shack first. I’d loan you the tools but you’re a ways away. Maybe someone closer can help. Not sure the maple companies do rentals on the small tools.

4 Paws Sugar Shack
04-04-2024, 06:32 AM
I would be willing to help you with setup and the tooling needed. I'm not that far from you. What size mainline are you going to be using?

MapleCamp
04-04-2024, 07:11 PM
I use a thermos of of hot water for my main line connects it works fine for a few fittings. I used to do the same for drops and sprouts but bought the tool for that, it was around 150 but it saves me time, I feel it was worth the cost.

LMP Maple
04-04-2024, 07:49 PM
Thank you for all the responses. Some great advice here for sure. I have used hot water for connecting hoses to barbs in the past and it has worked out well at my real :lol: job. I am in Hudson, 4 Paws. I would love to connect to get some advice and if I could rent some tools or buy some of your time that would be great. I am thinking 3/4 although was thinking about 1 inch but have heard 1 inch can be hard to work with. Any advice on the best time to set it up? Fall after the leaves have dropped or summer? I still have the dreaded clean up so would not be in a position to start for a bit.

4 Paws Sugar Shack
04-04-2024, 08:54 PM
Set up is generally more pleasant in the fall time. 3/4 will work but may get a little over loaded at times. We can talk when you are ready to take a walk and go over your ideas. Pm me and I will give you my number

mainebackswoodssyrup
04-05-2024, 09:16 AM
If you're using Shurflo vacuum, go with 1" mainline to let more air in the line. We have 1" mainline on 170 taps in 1 bush and it is perfect. During a good run, the mainline is half air and half sap at the pump which is what you want to get the best vacuum. 20" of vacuum all season on that one.