PDA

View Full Version : Niter buildup and boiling temperature

Vtmbz
03-12-2024, 08:29 AM
I have a new toy that controls the stack temperature of my boils. (Thanks to Tetil Engineering) This has allowed me to dial back the heat and keep it consistent (wood fired here).

This year I am boiling at what is a low temperature for me by trying to keep the stack temps at 850, where formerly I was boiling much, much higher, although not as consistently. Im keeping the stack temperatures between 840 and 850, and never hitting 900.

The amazing thing is that where last year I would glaze the bottom of the pan with niter so badly I had to scrape it off every night, this year the bottom of the last channel is much smoother and clean. Is this a coincidence?

Im processing more sap this year, and handling sweeter sap as well, with a new r.o.

tcross
03-12-2024, 08:43 AM
my assumption would be a coincidence. the nitre that i am getting this year is thick and sludge like. However it is not sticking to the bottom of the pan at all! makes filtering a pain, but pan cleaning a breeze.

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-12-2024, 09:05 AM
We're experiencing the same thing as tcross this year so I would say coincidence as well. I guess its a "finer" niter so it is sludging up more.