PDA

View Full Version : Filter press not filtering

Bruce Stuart
03-11-2024, 05:07 PM
not sure what i'm doing wrong. Never had the press not get my syrup crystal clear but its not working. Not sure if I'm using too much or to little DE. If quadruple checked the plates to see if theyre in right and I believe they are. Frustrated in Fryeburg Me

mainebackswoodssyrup
03-11-2024, 07:27 PM
It sounds like you’re experienced with the press. I assume it’s the correct DE- from a maple supplier? How old is the DE? What size press? Full bank or short bank?

maineboiler
03-11-2024, 07:42 PM
Are you charging the press long enough and with enough DE? I initially charge my 7 in press with 2 1/2 cups of DE with 2 gallons of syrup, recirculate until clear. Then filter the syrup by adding 1 cup of DE to 5 gallons. You can also recirculate this batch as needed until clear. Filtering can be very frustrating. Make sure you have food grade DE

SeanD
03-12-2024, 06:09 PM
Assuming your plates, paper, and pressure are all good, I'm guessing it's related to the DE as well. I use 4 cups of DE to 3 gallons of syrup to charge then the 1 cup per 5 gal for my 7" with 4 hollow plates. If your process used to work well and now it doesn't, it is strange.