PDA

View Full Version : How much time we got left, New Yorkers?

ADK_XJ
03-07-2024, 10:59 AM
The red maple buds are almost bursting, I've got peepers going at night in the bog, and my wife's bulbs have sprout 6-8" high...hoping to hold on just another week since I already took the next one off work.

What's everybody else thinking?

YBSean
03-07-2024, 11:14 AM
Pulling taps and cleaning lines today in CNY

The Heldeberg Sapper
03-07-2024, 11:19 AM
Im just south of you in East Berne but at around 1500' elevation. I tapped on 2/20 and so far have only made about 6 gallons off of my 49 5/16 gravity taps so I really need to season to keep going haha. Last year i made 25 gallons on 47 taps between Feb 7 and the end of March. I havent had a good freeze since last Friday night and the trees have stopped producing at this point. I am on all sugar maples and the buds are still tight but the 10 day isn't looking that great. It is supposed to freeze tonight and then next week looks colder again. I am not in full panic mode yet but its not looking great. This year has been wild, its just so warm its crazy. I did clean all my buckets and barrels yesterday just to help keep things fresh and i have check valve spouts so i am hopeful things will survive this warm spell if it gets cold again.

wnybassman
03-07-2024, 11:40 AM
In Western NY I have about a day and a half left of clean-up. We have a couple freezes coming up but I wasn't willing to take the gamble on them. We had a great season though, tapped the last week of January.

antelope76
03-07-2024, 12:05 PM
Hoping with the below freezing tonight and cold next week i can at least get another week.

MRFNY
03-07-2024, 06:50 PM
Early next week could be good. If not, taps are coming out

PeterHolmes
03-07-2024, 07:16 PM
I've asked this question about how much time we have left, since I didn't get my taps in yet. ILast 4 years I did just fine putting them in early March. We have had peepers chirping away for 5 days now and no nights at freezing or below for more than a week. I feel like I need to get over the fact that I may not boil any sap this year. If we ever see some below freezing nights in the next 2 weeks I might put in some taps, but will of course be ready to waste my time boiling down buddy syrup.
I have had luck cleaning up buddy syrup ( ask me how if you've never done this ) and I may just need to accept the fact that I need put my taps in during February next year. Keeping fingers crossed for a freeze in my area this year.

--Peter

maple flats
03-07-2024, 07:56 PM
I think a lot of when it will be done depends on your elevation, Around here those who are at 500' or less are mostly done or near done, Those at 700' or higher are still going strong, for now, but it might not last much longer, just too warm.

The Heldeberg Sapper
03-08-2024, 06:44 AM
I had about 8 hours below freezing overnight with a low of 25F and it just hit 32F again now. Today is supposed to be nice and sunny so im hoping things will flow decent today and then early next week still looks good. Only time will tell.