PDA

View Full Version : Substitute for Flue Brush

danno
02-04-2008, 12:56 PM
For cleaning the under side of your flues, what works good beside a flue brush from a maple distributor?

I've got the arch all bricked up and wanted to give the flues a good cleaning before I put the pans on the arch and it does not look like I'm going to the maple dealer anytime soon.

While I have the pans upside down, what best to use to clean them up.

tappin&sappin
02-04-2008, 02:55 PM
danno

I use a piece of wood I have ripped down, not very glamorous and it really only knocks the big stuff off.

I'd like to hear what everyone else uses also.

- Jake

maplehound
02-04-2008, 03:32 PM
I often use a toilet bowl brush. They arn't real stiff but will get most of the stuff off and you can buy them at most dollar stores real cheap.

325abn
02-04-2008, 05:22 PM
I use a piece of wood and my shop vac.

danno
02-04-2008, 10:49 PM
This worked well tonight. I stopped at Home Cheapo on the way home from work. They have all there fireplace/wood stove supplies 50% off to clear out for spring.

I bought a pellet stove brush for $5. It's shape is round and is about 4" wide and has a nylon ball on the end so there is no sharp point to gouge the pan. Fits nice a snug between the flues and cleans them up nice. Bristles appear to be a heavy duty plastic. I don't think I'd want to use the wood stove brushes - they are steal and would probably be pretty tough on a pan.

royalmaple
02-05-2008, 07:00 AM
FYI, if you have a plastic bristle brush and it is too tight of a fit to move around in the flues, take a torch and just wave it at the brush and shrinks it up a bit. THen you can get in the flues much easier.

Governor showed me that one.

maple maniac65
02-05-2008, 07:50 AM
If your flue pan is off and you have access to a pressure washer. Now is a good time to really clean it, if you don't mind getting covered with soot. :-) I now do this every year at the end of the season. 5.5hp honda pressure washer with 0 degree nozzle. It will blast off any creosote buildup. I also switched to a metal bristle cleaning brush for the flues on the fire side. It is stiffer and does a better job. Brushing flues out when they are still warm helps too, hence a metal brush the plastic ones just melt.

Jim Brown
02-05-2008, 08:28 AM
If you have the pans off and have access to a small sand blaster not one of the things that uses 150 #of air just a small home unit that puts out say 75 pounds they work great also. and if the bottom of the pan is not as shiney as they once were -Oh well! Just don't blow a hole throught them keep the wand moving the pans are not very thick!
my two cents
Jim

tapper
02-05-2008, 09:21 AM
The guys at Leader told me no water on the bottom of the pans. Moisture activates the acids in the soot and may attack the stainless. A good brushing is the best although I prussure washed the bottom of my 2x6 for 10 years without a problem it was 20 years old when I sold it and still looked new.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-05-2008, 02:47 PM
As Jon stated, ok to wash them but get them dry fast. The water and ash creates lye which can eat a hole in your pans. Be ok if you could sit them back on the arch and just build a small fire or sit them in the hot sun for a while.