PDA

View Full Version : Is it too early for buddy sap?

ChrisMFF
02-27-2024, 03:01 PM
Hello fellow sugaring family,

I'm in Western NY near Rochester and the weather has been unseasonably warm (70 degrees today alone!). My own sugar bush doesn't seem to be showing any signs of maple trees prematurely budding, but I'm sitting here in my office, just south of Rochester and three silver maple trees are budding out with little "tufts" on the ends of the popping buds. I went outside and picked a small branch and there is small green leaves showing themselves!!!

Could this indicate the season is nearing a close and buddy sap is just around the corner, if not present already? I don't know if I've heard of buddy sap the end of February. Is this possible?

Thanks friends,

Chris

MISugarDaddy
02-27-2024, 04:14 PM
Silver maples tend to bud earlier than sugar maples.
Gary

ChrisMFF
02-27-2024, 07:00 PM
Silver maples tend to bud earlier than sugar maples.
Gary
Thanks Gary - greatly appreciated!

littleTapper
02-27-2024, 07:08 PM
Too bad uploading of pictures doesn't work here any more. I'd guess you're seeing the flower buds of the silvers; which will come out first. Those do not mean "buddy" sap. Leaf bud growth will mean buddy sap, but I've never seen those come out before the flowers. Our silver flower buds have opened. Leaf buds still look fine here.

ChrisMFF
02-28-2024, 07:00 AM
Too bad uploading of pictures doesn't work here any more. I'd guess you're seeing the flower buds of the silvers; which will come out first. Those do not mean "buddy" sap. Leaf bud growth will mean buddy sap, but I've never seen those come out before the flowers. Our silver flower buds have opened. Leaf buds still look fine here.

Thanks very much! I appreciate all the great advice!

I did find a silver maple in my woods that looked budded out. I tapped it and collected about a quart of sap and I boiled it late last night. It made about a teaspoon of syrup that was very light but tasted perfect

Again, thanks for all the great advice friends!

Chris

littleTapper
02-28-2024, 07:15 AM
Good test. I check my big yard silvers as the season gets along as they are the first to see leaf bud swelling. Then I know the woods silvers are a few days away from it. Can't tell by looking at the sap or smelling it. Gotta cook some down and find out.

The best syrup I make seems to be when the silver flowers open. So don't worry about the flowers :)

But yes, the silvers will get buddy before sugars by a week or more in our area.

Andy VT
02-28-2024, 08:53 PM
I'd like to hear more about blossom buds versus leaf buds! I've been calling it quits at any sign of flowers! "My" big yard silver maple had some flowers opening already (one month earlier than last year) so I didn't even tap it. Maybe I could have tapped!