PDA

View Full Version : New Evaporator: brick and insulation suggestions needed

freebornorganic
02-03-2008, 10:28 PM
I have new 18" X 64" Lapierre Jr.. Suggestions needed for best way to insulate for burning wood. Plan on firebrick.,,,but thinking about using ceramic blanket under flue pans. Can you put sand on the ceramic blanket to hold down or not?

Thanks for your help.

RileySugarbush
02-03-2008, 10:42 PM
There are several advantages to using the blanket under the flues:

Quicker start up and shut down since the blanket has low thermal mass.
The evaporator is lighter, just in case you want to move it
and it is much easier to install.

The blanket does a pretty good job of staying in place if you cut it for a tight fit. I tucked the edges in tight in the corners and at seams I stitched them together with some galvanized wire.

Brent
02-04-2008, 07:46 AM
John,

I'm in the same boat with the new 2 x 6 coming. I've heard of people using 1/2 thick bricks over the boards and I've seen items in catalogs for stainless pins or bolts and stainless fender washers to hold the boards in place.

Are you suggesting using just bare boards ??? I could see that maybe in the flue, but I'd be worried about damaging it in the firebox ... wood fired.

I was also on the web site of the guys that make the insul board and they mention a 3M adhesive ... anyone used that ???

RileySugarbush
02-04-2008, 08:05 AM
I've got full bricks over 1" boards in the firebox, and 1" blanket over 1" boards in the flue. The arch board can be cut to fit tight and I used that as a base to push some galvanized wire formed into staples to stitch my blanket together in the flue area. Along the sides of the flue section, there is only the one inch blanket.

You definitely need bricks in the firebox for wood fired. Mine are dry fit and squeezed between the yellow arch boards in a way that holds the bricks tight. I got lucky and didn't need to cut a single brick.Up high where there was a gap, I filled with blanket scraps. On the door and arch front, I have only blanket held on with stainless screws and fender washers. So far the wood hasn't knocked it around too much.

freebornorganic
02-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Now my brother and I are considering an oil gun.. but my question is how do you know what size.. in terms of gallons per minute to use for an arch this size.

I got the ceramic blanket and will definitely insulate firebox and flue pan area.

Any ideas?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Probably about a 2gph gun.

Grade "A"
02-11-2008, 10:22 AM
I have a home-made oil fired rig. It has a becket burner which was set up by a friend that work on them. We ended up with a 2 gph hollow cone nossle on it. We tried a 2 1/2 gph but could not get enough air through the burner for it to run good. So if you can not only try different gph but try differnt spray patterns to.