PDA

View Full Version : Campden Tablets to prevent sap from spoiling?

djhemme
02-15-2024, 10:27 PM
I haven't found anything on the Internet regarding this, so I'm hesitant to ask this...

I'm a small backyard hobbyist and like many I collect sap during the week and boil it on the weekends. I store the sap in 5 gal containers in a fridge in my basement. I try to keep things as sanitary as I can, but often times, especially at the end of the season, I notice the sap getting cloudier a little as the week goes on, I'm guessing due to bacteria. I also make wine, and use Campden Tablets (potassium or sodium metabisulfite) to sanitize things beforehand, and before bottling to prevent mold and bacteria from growing. It doesn't affect the taste at all, so I was wondering if adding this to a jug at the beginning of the week would help the sap from spoiling as the week goes on, and kill any bacteria currently in it. Thoughts?

Brian
02-16-2024, 11:17 AM
In Vermont it is only legal to use food grade acid (citric) and or bio-membrain ect, clorox Bleach in well ventalated areas. The quicker you boil it the better.

4Walls
02-16-2024, 11:28 AM
Blanche and store your sap if you can. It really extends the sap life.

berkshires
02-16-2024, 02:25 PM
Assuming you're not selling it, it's up to you, but many people (myself included) are pretty sensitive to sulfites. With wine, it's expected you'll get sulfites, but with syrup it's not. You don't want to give anyone a nasty surprise.

Also, a little cloudiness is not a big deal. Cloudy sap in my experience can make excellent and flavorful dark syrup, which many people crave. Of course if it goes too far, you have to dump it. But it doesn't sound like that's your problem.

GO

berkshires
02-16-2024, 02:29 PM
Another thought: With wine (cider, etc) there's no heat in the process. Who knows what happens to the metabisulfites when you boil them for hours in the sap. For all you know, they have some kind of noxious reaction to the sugar sand and create a nasty flavor in your syrup. I wouldn't risk it, but if you want to, do it in a small and self-contained batch.

Cheers,

GO

maple flats
02-16-2024, 06:36 PM
I think it's not legal to use in most areas.

johnallin
02-16-2024, 06:42 PM
The short answer…”Just don’t do it”.
Add anything to your sap and you no longer have 100% pure maple syrup.

Bricklayer
02-16-2024, 10:14 PM
Keeping it cold is your best bet.
Never add anything to your sap. Whatever is in your sap only gets condensed as you boil it. Take a big whiff of just a spoonful of sodium metabisulphate and water and tell me you’d wanna eat that.

Michael Greer
02-17-2024, 09:25 AM
So maybe put it in the freezer.