PDA

View Full Version : Use heat duct as fireplace pipe

Waterdownredneck
02-11-2024, 09:42 AM
Hi all, my chimney pipe fell apart and I need to get a new one. I use an old fireplace with the top sides cut off and hotel pans, been going great for years. Rather than expensive fireplace stove pipe do you think 8” heat ducting would work for the rest of this year? Thanks for your thoughts.

Wannabe
02-11-2024, 10:04 AM
Yes it will work for this year

maple flats
02-11-2024, 06:52 PM
Heat duct (28 or 30 ga) won't hold up with the extreme heat, but you can use 24ga stove pipe, it will give you a few years.

berkshires
02-12-2024, 07:53 AM
I used heat duct on my first homemade evaporator. I didn't have a blower and i don't think i was getting as hot as most evaporators, though i did get a pretty decent boil. Anyway the heat duct lasted a couple years. Lasted longer than the body of the (not insulated) evaporator, which warped terribly and was unusable after three years.

GO

berkshires
02-12-2024, 07:54 AM
Hi all, my chimney pipe fell apart and I need to get a new one. I use an old fireplace with the top sides cut off and hotel pans, been going great for years. Rather than expensive fireplace stove pipe do you think 8” heat ducting would work for the rest of this year? Thanks for your thoughts.

By the way, your setup sounds very similar to my first evaporator i made! http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?29303-Evaporator-from-small-wood-burning-stove-cheap!

GO

Waterdownredneck
02-12-2024, 06:03 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments.

Michael Greer
02-17-2024, 09:28 AM
The galvanized coating creates toxic smoke as it burns off.