PDA

View Full Version : Sterilizing Bottle best Practice

PiperHill
02-08-2024, 09:27 PM
Good evening everyone,

I read several post and still not sure what i can do to sterilize my bottle before filling them other then boiling them.

Can I just spray them with Starsan after cleaning ?

Cheers
Erick

buckeye gold
02-09-2024, 05:58 AM
If they are new, don't do anything. Fill new bottles right from the box. you can preheat them in an oven if you want. Filling with 180-190 degree syrup and laying on their side after capped will do it's own sterilizing. Your more likely to contaminate them trying to clean them.

nhdog
02-09-2024, 06:35 AM
best way and the easiest is the oven at 200 to 220 degrees for 20 minutes. do it ahead of time so that they will still be a little warm when you bottle.

PiperHill
02-09-2024, 10:51 AM
Thanks guys,

I will do that for the new bottle. For the other on i’ll just rinse them and put in the oven. That is not too much work

Regards
Erick

Gord
03-05-2024, 08:46 AM
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would ask my question here.
I have crystal clear bottled syrup from this season, using the murphy cup hydrometer, and run through the thick cone filter at 190+ degrees.
I have some special bottles I would like to transfer some of my previously bottled syrup in to. How do I do that? Do I have to reboil it using the hydrometer, or just boil to a certain temperature and re-run it through my filter? Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

tgormley358
03-05-2024, 02:07 PM
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would ask my question here.
I have crystal clear bottled syrup from this season, using the murphy cup hydrometer, and run through the thick cone filter at 190+ degrees.
I have some special bottles I would like to transfer some of my previously bottled syrup in to. How do I do that? Do I have to reboil it using the hydrometer, or just boil to a certain temperature and re-run it through my filter? Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Boiling isn’t necessary or a good idea l it’ll create more niter. Just heat it up to 190 and rebottle into your other containers. Most sugar makers with more than say 100-200 taps do this to avoid over- bottling in certain sizes. They pack in kegs and wait to see what the demand will be and bottle thru the season in response to demand.

Gord
03-05-2024, 03:02 PM
Thank you tgormley358! I'm only re-bottling 48 ounces, so I'll bring it up to 190 on my gas stove top.