PDA

View Full Version : morter or not

firetech
02-03-2008, 05:13 PM
I just brought home my 30x10 evaperator its still on the trailer (tarped). I helped to debrick it and pack it all up for the trip home,all went well. The question that is on my mind now is do I need to use the morter to rebrick it or can I dry stack the brick? The plan is to move the unit again into its perment home later in the summer. The tempary suger house is about 75% done,man feel like I'm behind the eight ball. I'll finish the roof and get sand in to level the floor next weekend and hopfully move in the evaperator. The side walls I can put up a couple peices a nite as long as work lets me come home. and remmeber this is only a hobby, ya!!!

Sugarmaker
02-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Firetech,
Sounds like the first year I had the sugarhouse framed in and one room (evaporator) with walls, I had gravel floor and some drop lights. Still made 60 gallons of syrup. Ya its just a hobby, yea keep telling yourself that! :)
I used refractory cement on my brick. But did not put insulation between the sides of the arch and the bricks. I would recommend the insulation blanket or the arch board, especially if you have stainless sides. Jim (Father and Son) is doing a nice job with dry layup over layer of insul-blanket.

Chris

peacemaker
02-03-2008, 07:08 PM
i would agree arch board dry stack and number so u can re do it next summer if u mortar its gonna be a pain to clean and debrick
i am in the sam boat i am moving my whole operation and had re take all my lines down and restring them and rebuild a temp shack and now i need to move my arch again

jemsklein
02-03-2008, 07:11 PM
why can't you just move the arch with the brick in it

Bucket Head
02-03-2008, 10:24 PM
It's a bear trying to move an arch full of brick's. Yes, it can be done, but it's a lot easier with them out.

Steve

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
02-04-2008, 07:28 AM
30 x 10 is pretty big arch to move very far with bricks

RICH