PDA

View Full Version : Tapped in the Berkshires

berkshires
02-07-2024, 07:24 PM
Played hooky and got all my taps in today. Many of the taps were already dripping. My one gusher of a tree was, of course, gushing. Everything in tapping went fine this year except... found my stovepipe had fallen off the back of the sugar shack. Thought it had just gotten blown off in a storm, but when I went to seat it back on, found it was actually all rotted out. Didn't have more stovepipe on hand (or the time to get it and install it). Have a bunch of other small things I didn't get to that I need to deal with too. So I guess I'll have a very long day for my first boil this weekend.

Anyway, excited to have finally pulled the trigger!

GO

berkshires
02-10-2024, 10:04 PM
Played hooky and got all my taps in today. Many of the taps were already dripping. My one gusher of a tree was, of course, gushing. Everything in tapping went fine this year except... found my stovepipe had fallen off the back of the sugar shack. Thought it had just gotten blown off in a storm, but when I went to seat it back on, found it was actually all rotted out. Didn't have more stovepipe on hand (or the time to get it and install it). Have a bunch of other small things I didn't get to that I need to deal with too. So I guess I'll have a very long day for my first boil this weekend.

Anyway, excited to have finally pulled the trigger!

GO

First boil today. That "gusher" of a tree put out over 9 gallons of sap in three days. In Feb! That tree is awesome! And my sugar levels are really good this year. I have one tree that puts out higher sugar sap than the others, but never seen it like this before: 4.7%! I had to taste it to make sure i wasn't misreading my hydrometer.

Anyway, 52 gallons of sap since tapping on Weds makes a gallon per tap per day. Great start to the season! Looks like we're in for a cold spell for the next week. I didn't boil quite enough to draw off my first syrup, but i think it's sweet enough to be okay in the pan for a week.

GO

Aaron Stack
02-10-2024, 11:58 PM
Nice sugar content Gabe! I haven't tested yet my sugar content yet but going to in the morning.

berkshires
02-11-2024, 07:03 AM
Nice sugar content Gabe! I haven't tested yet my sugar content yet but going to in the morning.

I'm surprised considering how rainy it was all summer. I know my yard trees at home did not like it. They all got fungus that caused a lot of leaves to fall off.

GO

berkshires
02-26-2024, 01:54 PM
Had to collect yesterday. All the sap was pretty frozen solid, so I just chopped it up, threw away some ice where I could tell it was low sugar, and I'll deal with it after it melts out.

One rather nasty surprise: You know I mentioned I have one tree that is a super-producer. It has three taps on it, and it produced 4.7% sap the last time I tested it. Well that tree has its own collection barrel on it. So yesterday I went to collect two weeks worth of sap from the barrel, and at first I was excited, walking up to the barrel I can see that it was completely full, the ice was lifting the lid up off the barrel. But after chopping through the ice at the top I discovered... the barrel was empty. There was a slow leak around the bulkhead fitting at the bottom of the barrel. So it filled up all the way, froze, and then slowly all the concentrated sugar sap dripped out around the bulkhead fitting, leaving a couple inches of pure ice coating the inside of the barrel.

I repurposed one of my storage barrels as a collection barrel on that tree (it has no bulkhead fitting, so if it fills up I'll just have to scoop it out) and brought the collection barrel home to fix that bulkhead fitting. What a bummer, though, to lose two weeks (25 gallons) of my best sap.

It's hard to get that **** bulkhead fitting to sit really well because of the shape of the barrel, but I'm doing my best to fill in ridges in the barrel with silicone.

GO

Pdiamond
02-26-2024, 06:39 PM
Why don't you replace it with a metal barrel?

berkshires
02-26-2024, 08:05 PM
Why don't you replace it with a metal barrel?

Not sure what you have in mind.

GO

eustis22
02-27-2024, 05:26 AM
I have found that these:White Silicone Rubber Sheet, 60A Duro, 1/16 x 9 x 12 Inch, Food Grade
cut to fit, work really well to seal bulkhead fittings. from Amazon

berkshires
02-27-2024, 08:04 AM
I have found that these:White Silicone Rubber Sheet, 60A Duro, 1/16 x 9 x 12 Inch, Food Grade
cut to fit, work really well to seal bulkhead fittings. from Amazon

Do you think that would form a seal between the flat rubber gasket and the plastic ridges of the barrel?

Here's a photo: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9r9XU7k8uiEYNph69

GO

eustis22
02-28-2024, 06:15 AM
might need to double them up for that gap

the earlier poster was referencing food grade steel barrels for collecting

berkshires
03-04-2024, 08:58 AM
the earlier poster was referencing food grade steel barrels for collecting

Looked around a little online. Those things are expensive! Not worth it for my hobby. Anyway, I fixed the barrel and it is back in business.

One bit of frightening news: I heard my first peeper when I was boiling yesterday. I can't believe it, a peeper on March 3rd in the foothills of the Berkshires! Normally I can't recall hearing them until middle or end of March. I hope that doesn't mean the end is nigh. I guess it's good I got an early start.

GO

berkshires
03-05-2024, 08:22 AM
Sheesh. My one yard tree has dried up after only four weeks. I think this probably has to do with several factors:
- Tree gets full sun all day
- February was the sunniest and driest I've seen in years (good for our solar panels!)
- Hanging bucket with open tap

I know tubing systems last longer than buckets, but I do think that drop tubes to buckets give you some of those benefits. Even with brand new plastic spiles, I have generally found that the open ones dry up faster than the drop tubes to a bucket.

I wonder if Dr Tim and his group have ever done any studies on the difference in collection volume between drop tubes and open taps.

GO

berkshires
03-11-2024, 08:14 AM
I plan to take Weds off and if there's any sap that hasn't spoiled, I'll boil that and pull taps. Very very early for me to be pulling taps, but too much warmth, even if we get another run toward the end of March, I just can't keep sap good between visits to the sugar bush with these warm spells.

GO

Aaron Stack
03-11-2024, 06:35 PM
Hope you get a good last boil in Gabe!

Same plan for me as well. Whatever I collect through Wednesday will probably get boiled on the propane stove with the sweet. Couldn’t get into the woods today with the wild winds but got about two gallons from the yard trees. Earliest season end for me but with the sweet I should hit my goal.

berkshires
03-14-2024, 06:34 AM
Hey Aaron. How'd the end of season go?

Did my final collection and boil yesterday. One bucket had to get dumped - had two critters in it. And my yard tree has been done for weeks now. Everything else had a great run this week. Pulled taps and did a final boil.

But I'm kicking myself now, because the forecast has changed. It froze last night, which was not predicted. And the next week, which was supposed to be all warm with no freezes, has good hard freezes every night for as far out (Weds) as they can predict. So I blew it on pulling taps too early.

Oh well. I still ended at over 18 gallons of sap per tap, which is my second best year ever (last year's sap tsunami was offscale at over 27 gallons of sap per tap).

BigSchuss, you should have a great week coming. You must be swimming in sap right now!

GO

Aaron Stack
03-16-2024, 01:28 PM
Turns out my last boil was March 4. Got 27 gal of sap that day and boiled it but the best day since was 5 or under and hot. Pulled the taps and rinsed the buckets today. Visiting sugarhouses tomorrow for Mass maple day. 5 gallons of sweet in the freezer to boil down soon

bigschuss
03-17-2024, 12:38 PM
BigSchuss, you should have a great week coming. You must be swimming in sap right now!

GO

Hey Gabe....it was insane here last week. Couldn't keep up. At my elevation it froze every night and I had full buckets every day. This has been my FASTEST and best season in 20 years. Tapped on Feb. 26 or so and pulled taps on Friday. I am way over average season totals over a very short 3 week season.

I could certainly keep going for the next 2 weeks, but without snow my forest trails to the sugar bush are a bloody quagmire and I just don't want to tear then up anymore.

Sounds like you're done too. Last year I had too much snow after that 42" dump on March 14th shut is down completely. This year...not enough snow...but I'm happy as the sap has been running like crazy.

Aaron...sounds like you finished up too a few weeks ago.

Hope you both had good seasons.

Blair

berkshires
03-18-2024, 08:52 AM
Hey Gabe....it was insane here last week. Couldn't keep up. At my elevation it froze every night and I had full buckets every day. This has been my FASTEST and best season in 20 years. Tapped on Feb. 26 or so and pulled taps on Friday. I am way over average season totals over a very short 3 week season.

I could certainly keep going for the next 2 weeks, but without snow my forest trails to the sugar bush are a bloody quagmire and I just don't want to tear then up anymore.

Sounds like you're done too. Last year I had too much snow after that 42" dump on March 14th shut is down completely. This year...not enough snow...but I'm happy as the sap has been running like crazy.

Aaron...sounds like you finished up too a few weeks ago.

Hope you both had good seasons.

Blair

Nice! Congrats on a good season. Yeah, this was one of my shortest ever too. But still a great one, despite pulling taps early. Honestly, it would have been logistically very difficult to get this week's worth of sap, as I would have had to drive out over the weekend just to dump the muck out of the buckets and rinse them. Would have taken six hours, which I can't afford, as I have a lot of other spring projects now to do. So I am trying to be forgiving of myself for missing this coming week. Hearing that you've wrapped up too makes me feel a little better. I'm going to wind up with about 5.15 gallons of syrup, which is not bad considering I only did five collections, four boils, and I lost all the sap from my three best taps for two of my collections. Oh well, there's always something to improve for next season, and 0.31 gallons of syrup per tap is nothing to sneer at. Looking on the bright side, by not doing another boil, I start next season off with a bunch more nice dry split wood in the wood crib! That saves me time not having to split as much!

Aaron and Blair, what are your final tallies for the season?

GO

bigschuss
03-26-2024, 08:24 AM
Nice! Congrats on a good season. Yeah, this was one of my shortest ever too. But still a great one, despite pulling taps early. Honestly, it would have been logistically very difficult to get this week's worth of sap, as I would have had to drive out over the weekend just to dump the muck out of the buckets and rinse them. Would have taken six hours, which I can't afford, as I have a lot of other spring projects now to do. So I am trying to be forgiving of myself for missing this coming week. Hearing that you've wrapped up too makes me feel a little better. I'm going to wind up with about 5.15 gallons of syrup, which is not bad considering I only did five collections, four boils, and I lost all the sap from my three best taps for two of my collections. Oh well, there's always something to improve for next season, and 0.31 gallons of syrup per tap is nothing to sneer at. Looking on the bright side, by not doing another boil, I start next season off with a bunch more nice dry split wood in the wood crib! That saves me time not having to split as much!

Aaron and Blair, what are your final tallies for the season?

GO

Sorry for the late reply on this Gabe. Yeah...I hear you. Whenever I start thinking about "have to's" and "should haves" I always remember this is just a hobby for me. If I get sick of it half way through and want to call it quits despite more good runs I just call it quits. I never want it becoming a burden.

I drained my pan last weekend and finished the sweet and ended up with 7.5 gallons of syrup over a very short 3 week season. Boiled right around 380 gallons of sap.

Blair

Dusty Road Maples
03-26-2024, 09:21 AM
Just new to this and wondering if I am not getting it? So far no buds on trees and I don't hear peepers at night. Weather looks favorable through the weekend. In early February I purchased an evaporator 2'x20 with Dauntless Arch from Smokey Lake. I have about 2 inches of sweet in the pan and I am hoping for some more sap in the next day or so, will possibly boil on Thursday and I think finish off with about 1.5 -2 gallons of Syrup. Temps look ideal over next weekend. Is it too late in the season or can I expect some decent medium to dark amber? I have not had fantastic sap flow so far, it has come in waves with periods of little productivity. 1st Boil 5/12 pints of beautiful golden syrup, 2nd boil 1.7 Gallons of light amber that is just a bit cloudy. ( I tried using some DE when I filtered and it did not seem to go well, clogged my new coffee urn vacuum filter that I made.) I would like to end up with about 5 gallons so I am thinking one more week could do the trick. Question is it just too late to hope for quality sap? 26 Taps with 5 gallon buckets, I tapped early Feb 5th ish and I have collected about 240 gallons of sap, avg. 9.3 gallons per tap. Some of the smaller trees seem to be done. In Richmond MA.... A Rookie.
Michael

berkshires
03-26-2024, 10:38 AM
Question is it just too late to hope for quality sap? 26 Taps with 5 gallon buckets, I tapped early Feb 5th ish and I have collected about 240 gallons of sap, avg. 9.3 gallons per tap. Some of the smaller trees seem to be done. In Richmond MA.... A Rookie.
Michael

Hi Michael, and welcome!

Is it too late? Well if your trees aren't budding, and the weather is still giving you nights below freezing, then it's just a matter of your trees. At this point it's probably getting close to the end, but there will be a lot of variability. In my experience, open taps, and taps that get a lot of sun, dry up first. Taps with tubes on them and taps on the north side of trees tend to dry up later. If you're still having fun, and the sap is flowing, go ahead and keep at it. I've tapped into early April many years, so that's not out of the question.

Cheers,

GO

berkshires
03-26-2024, 10:43 AM
Sorry for the late reply on this Gabe. Yeah...I hear you. Whenever I start thinking about "have to's" and "should haves" I always remember this is just a hobby for me. If I get sick of it half way through and want to call it quits despite more good runs I just call it quits. I never want it becoming a burden.

I drained my pan last weekend and finished the sweet and ended up with 7.5 gallons of syrup over a very short 3 week season. Boiled right around 380 gallons of sap.

Blair

I think there are two issues for me that make it hard for me. One is that I was raised not to waste, and I feel like if good sap is running on the ground... And the other is that I feel competitive with myself - trying to have the best season I can. I'd even take that a step further to say that I feel a note of pride when I make a ton of syrup for the number of trees I'm tapping, without vacuum. That comes from hard-won experience about know which trees to tap, when to tap them, etc. So I'm letting myself down if I don't make the best of it.

That said, I can also forgive myself for moving on to other priorities, especially when the wife and kid want to have nothing to do with syruping.

GO

Dusty Road Maples
03-27-2024, 08:46 AM
Thanks Gabe,
That is helpful and encouraging, I think I will let it go through most of next week. It looks promising as for the weather and I am using tubes into five gallon buckets. I will start pull some of the light producers and see how it goes throughout the week. I collected 40 gallons yesterday and it was mostly nice and clear. Will do my third finishing boil tonight with any luck. I am interested to see how it grades out, the sweet in the pan is significantly darker than my earlier batches. Definitely having fun with it!
Michael

Dusty Road Maples
03-30-2024, 08:43 AM
Wondering: This past week I boiled 120 gallons over 3 boils with a 2 day break between the 2nd and 3rd boil. It looked a little darker while boiling than my earlier batches. I cooked it down to 1&1/2 inches in the pan and let it sit overnight. I finished it the next evening and I got 1.4 gallons of syrup. It taste great but is quite dark and the amount of black sludge in my filter was stunning. The sap went through some hoops before it got in the pan. 60 gallons were frozen for 2 weeks and then 40 were refrigerated for a week at 33 degrees and then I boiled it all over 3 days/boils adding another 20 fresh gallons of sap. Is this just too much to hope for a medium or light amber syrup? I know later in the season it will be darker but I feel like the way the sap was handled as described probably was not the best practice. Why did store it for so long? I tried to sneak a trip to Myrtle Beach in for a couple weeks of golf. So I guess the question is can leaving the sweet in the pan and then coming back to it for multiple boils yield a lower quality syrup. I never reached the draw off stage with this batch of syrup in the evaporator. The hottest it got was 4 degrees or so. My previous one I did draw off at 8 degrees and that syrup was a nice light amber. I had a great week collecting this week and I got 50 gallons on Thursday night and expect another 50 today. I am just going to boil all of this and then finish it and see if I get a better result. It has been bright and clear with no yellow tinge to it.

Aaron Stack
03-30-2024, 04:30 PM
Hi Folks, sorry for the late reply, worklife called.

Still haven't boiled the sweet but have 5.5 ready for bottling and will get a bit more than a gallon from that so a little over the .25 estimate. Not too shabby. Finished scrubbing the buckets today (they were thoroughly rinsed already), and lids tomorrow. Then tank and pan before bottling.

433 gallons collected and 6.75 gallons puts me at 64.15 per gallon of syrup in 9 boils. 2 good weeks of sap with 151 and 197, 2 weeks of ice and 2 weeks of hot.

berkshires
04-01-2024, 12:43 PM
Wondering: This past week I boiled 120 gallons over 3 boils with a 2 day break between the 2nd and 3rd boil. It looked a little darker while boiling than my earlier batches. I cooked it down to 1&1/2 inches in the pan and let it sit overnight. I finished it the next evening and I got 1.4 gallons of syrup. It taste great but is quite dark and the amount of black sludge in my filter was stunning. The sap went through some hoops before it got in the pan. 60 gallons were frozen for 2 weeks and then 40 were refrigerated for a week at 33 degrees and then I boiled it all over 3 days/boils adding another 20 fresh gallons of sap. Is this just too much to hope for a medium or light amber syrup? I know later in the season it will be darker but I feel like the way the sap was handled as described probably was not the best practice. Why did store it for so long? I tried to sneak a trip to Myrtle Beach in for a couple weeks of golf. So I guess the question is can leaving the sweet in the pan and then coming back to it for multiple boils yield a lower quality syrup. I never reached the draw off stage with this batch of syrup in the evaporator. The hottest it got was 4 degrees or so. My previous one I did draw off at 8 degrees and that syrup was a nice light amber. I had a great week collecting this week and I got 50 gallons on Thursday night and expect another 50 today. I am just going to boil all of this and then finish it and see if I get a better result. It has been bright and clear with no yellow tinge to it.

Three things:

1 - Yes, keeping your sap for a long time will produce darker syrup. As I understand it this happens both because the bacteria in the sap eat some of the sugar, resulting in having to boil a larger volume of sap to result in the same volume of syrup (so everything is more concentrated) and also because the bacteria converts some of the sugar to a type that caramelizes more as you evaporate.

2 - If I'm reading correctly, you batch-boiled. That means you keep adding sap to one batch, and it all finishes at the same time. Batch boiled syrup will be darker than syrup that goes through a pan with dividers, has a gradient, and is drawn off on one end as fresh sap is added to the other. This is because you are essentially adding fresh sap to syrup all the time as you batch boil, so the molecules of sugar get boiled longer.

3 - Unless you lost a lot of sap somewhere that you didn't mention, you had almost an 85:1 ratio of sap to syrup. That is very low sugar, and will result in a darker syrup.

All that said, many people (myself included) prefer a darker syrup, so don't feel bad.

Cheers,

GO

berkshires
04-01-2024, 12:52 PM
Hi Folks, sorry for the late reply, worklife called.

Still haven't boiled the sweet but have 5.5 ready for bottling and will get a bit more than a gallon from that so a little over the .25 estimate. Not too shabby. Finished scrubbing the buckets today (they were thoroughly rinsed already), and lids tomorrow. Then tank and pan before bottling.

433 gallons collected and 6.75 gallons puts me at 64.15 per gallon of syrup in 9 boils. 2 good weeks of sap with 151 and 197, 2 weeks of ice and 2 weeks of hot.

Nice. Any season where you get over .25 gallons per tap is not bad, especially if you're averaging 64 gallons of sap per gallon of syrup!

I haven't even seriously started cleanup. So many other priorities. Oh man, it's gonna suck. LOL

Cheers!

GO