PDA

View Full Version : Shurflo Vac Fault

LMP Maple
02-04-2024, 05:57 PM
Anyone know if I have a bigger issue if I get a vac fault code on my surflow controller.?I was pulling about 15 on Saturday with some ice in the lines etc. which I was ok with. Today nothing registering on the gage and shuts off and says vac fault. Still coming in on gravity. In the past it seems in would say something like low vacuum sap not flowing or something like that. Not sure I have seen the fault and to not get anything on the gage is strange. I am hoping it is just slow flow days with no vacuum but maybe not?

BAP
02-05-2024, 05:24 AM
Anyone know if I have a bigger issue if I get a vac fault code on my surflow controller.?I was pulling about 15 on Saturday with some ice in the lines etc. which I was ok with. Today nothing registering on the gage and shuts off and says vac fault. Still coming in on gravity. In the past it seems in would say something like low vacuum sap not flowing or something like that. Not sure I have seen the fault and to not get anything on the gage is strange. I am hoping it is just slow flow days with no vacuum but maybe not?
What are you using for a controller? Have you reached out to the manufacturer?

LMP Maple
02-05-2024, 06:11 AM
The controller is a mountain maple. I did reach out unfortunately some health concerns prevented a response.

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-05-2024, 06:30 AM
We shut off the vac lo/hi on ours. Do you know how to do that going through the setup?

LMP Maple
02-05-2024, 06:42 AM
Thank you. Yes I should be able to figure that out and I will give it a shot. Much appreciated. The system has been turnkey so I have not fooled with it much but I can figure out how to make that adjustment. Please everyone keep Dave and his family in your thoughts. The email I received this morning really hit me.

LMP Maple
02-06-2024, 06:59 AM
Well I feel like a rookie but wanted to post this. Arrived at my site yesterday same thing sap flowing but barely any vacuum. Thought I should check the in line filter at the pump sure enough plugged up with the usual early season junk. Cleaned it reinstalled and 22 inches of vacuum. Lesson learned really did not looked dirty from outside but it was….

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-06-2024, 09:01 AM
Haha, yes we have been there as well. If the strainer gets gunked up, you're all done. Check it again as soon as you can. Late season last year we had them plugging up. Swapped out for a clean filter, waited less than 5 minutes and it gunked up again. Did this 1 more time and was good to go. Also been fooled by the strainer not being quite tight enough causing an unnoticeable, but problematic leak.

Sorry to hear about Dave, thoughts and prayers are with him. Great guy for sure.

LMP Maple
02-06-2024, 07:44 PM
Yep, checked it again today and was pulling 15 but was gunked up again and shut down. Thanks for the tip to keep checking. This will part of my routine now for sure. I will keep this thread up for a bit in case others are having the same issue then retire it. Until the next issue which we can always count on in sugaring.

I called my dad in Vermont last night to tell him I was boiling. He got me hooked on this years ago and although his boiling days are done he loves the updates. Before I hung up I said I will keep you informed so you know how much money I am losing. Only another sugar maker would understand that statement. :lol: