PDA

View Full Version : Middlesex County Area tapping yet?

KiO
02-01-2024, 04:34 AM
Hi all, just wanted to ask around to see if anyone else was thinking of tapping this weekend in the Middlesex area? I'm about 80/20 on tapping or waiting another week or so.

judgejp
02-01-2024, 03:18 PM
I'm gonna hold of till i'm ready:D. 1 or 2 more weeks i think.

berkshires
02-03-2024, 03:49 PM
I'm in Middlesex County, and I tapped my one yard tree on Thursday. I've gotten nearly two gallons already. I don't expect much for the next few days, and then things should really open up again starting Thurs. My main sugarbush is further west in the Berkshires, so that will be a little later.

Gabe

KiO
02-12-2024, 05:46 AM
I decided to hold off as I was not ready as well.... hoping to tap this week after the storm. Hope everyone that did tap had success.

berkshires
02-12-2024, 07:46 AM
I decided to hold off as I was not ready as well.... hoping to tap this week after the storm. Hope everyone that did tap had success.

I'm at six gallons from the one yard tree. Expect to get maybe another gallon today, before things shut down for a week. Also did will from the trees at my sugar bush.

Good luck to all, this storm is supposed to be a big one.

GO

tgormley358
02-27-2024, 07:57 AM
How did you all fare yesterday on sap volume in Middlesex Cty? In Harvard I expected a lot more given the warm up after long freeze. I got around .5 gallon / tap overall and expected at least 1 gallon to 1.5 / tap.

Tom

LMP Maple
02-27-2024, 08:36 AM
I am up in Hudson NH so not too far from you. Same here, I really expected a big flow yesterday and it was marginal at best, enough to boil and ro but not the late night I was thinking I would have. Heading to the woods at 10 to gather. I hope they ran into the night although it did freeze here last night. That early run was by far my best run of the season that was over two weeks ago. I am hoping things are just slow to unthaw here.

berkshires
02-27-2024, 09:41 AM
How did you all fare yesterday on sap volume in Middlesex Cty? In Harvard I expected a lot more given the warm up after long freeze. I got around .5 gallon / tap overall and expected at least 1 gallon to 1.5 / tap.

Tom
I got a little less than a gallon from my tree in Middlesex county yesterday. But we got another freeze last night and today will be warmer. I checked the tree at 9:30 this morning and it was already dripping fast, so I'm confident today will be a bigger day than yesterday. Also with the storm coming the pressure will drop and the temps will stay high overnight, so I'm sure the sap will continue to flow well overnight tonight.

Then Weds night through Thursday the cold should reset the trees for another good run Friday and Saturday.

GO

KiO
02-28-2024, 04:20 AM
I was thinking the same thing about Monday, hoping for a large amount but only had a small amount in each of my seven buckets in Billerica, but my three taps in Wakefield had just about three full buckets. Tuesday was better flow closer to home and about the same in Wakefield.

tgormley358
02-28-2024, 12:21 PM
Yesterday was much improved, with almost all taps 1-1.5 gallon. And it continued running through the night, so another .5 gal/tap already this morning. We’ll see if that’s it for today or if it keeps running. Feeling pretty good about Friday - Saturday again, but it still looks like we’re done after that. For the season maybe unless we get another freeze after the 15th

KiO
03-06-2024, 04:49 PM
Just wondering what others are thinking, pull taps this week or see what happens next week with the weather? I am hopeful for more favorable weather but feel like it could be over already.

LMP Maple
03-06-2024, 05:38 PM
Still holding out hope here in Hudson, but its not looking good. Nothing really coming in but clearing/dumping daily as it wont keep. Might get a small recharge on Thursday Friday. Its a slim hope but keep holding.......

judgejp
03-07-2024, 07:28 AM
I drained and cleaned the pans and packed everything in snow ( hard to find) and am hoping for a couple runs this week. the nights have trended colder in the forecast. I'm currently at about 33% avg crop.
errr!

Pat

KiO
03-13-2024, 04:34 AM
Anyone pull taps yet? I got a few buckets over the weekend but thinking of pulling my taps this week. I missed a good first week by not tapping before school vacation in February due to other things going in life and that seems to have been the best weather week unfortunately. On to next year I guess. Hope you all had a decent season despite the up and down weather.

berkshires
03-14-2024, 06:39 AM
My one yard tree in Middlesex county dried up two weeks ago. My other trees are in the Berkshires, and were still going strong when I (stupidly) pulled taps yesterday.

GO

KiO
03-23-2024, 06:08 AM
Just curious how anyone made out last week with the colder temps than the week before if you kept your taps in?