PDA

View Full Version : Milk Tank Threads

mainebackswoodssyrup
01-29-2024, 01:35 PM
Does anyone what name for the type of thread on an older tank might be? They are different from some of the common threads. We need to order some fittings but first need to figure that out. I realize a picture would be 1000 words but can't post one. They are a wider thread than the most common.

BnSmaple
01-29-2024, 06:14 PM
My older milk tanks are a 1.5 bevel seat fitting

Bucket Head
01-29-2024, 08:42 PM
I can't speak for all tanks, and certainly not for what is considered old and new, but the thread on my tanks is called sanitary thread. Search for sanitary fittings and I would think you would come across the thread you have. Maybe the different sites would have some info on "how to determine thread size" with some dimensions and/or pictures.

Steve

Pdiamond
01-29-2024, 08:50 PM
I believe most Tractor Supply Stores sell these and may also be able to help you out.

wnybassman
01-29-2024, 08:57 PM
I believe most Tractor Supply Stores sell these and may also be able to help you out.

I'm not sure I've ever seen milk tank fittings at a Tractor Supply before. Hamby Dairy Supply online is a great source for fittings. Definitely spendy though.

sugarman3
01-30-2024, 06:17 AM
i use fercoat fittings and a food grade silicone rubbed on the bulk tank and clamp it on ,then you can use a valve or what ever you use on the other end,they work great,i have one on my bulk tank that i pull sap out of from my Ro,no leaks

mainebackswoodssyrup
01-30-2024, 06:56 AM
Thanks guys, the backup plan is to just cut it off and weld on a tri-clamp style. Definitely not anything at tractor supply. I will pass it along to my buddy who is ont he search and suggest contacting Hamby Dairy Supply

ecp
01-30-2024, 07:50 AM
a lot of them are ACME thread.

Bricklayer
01-30-2024, 12:12 PM
Pretty sure Hamby Dairy sells adaptors. I’ve inquired about them before when I thought I lost the fitting for my tank.
Your tank should have an info plate on it. Usually riveted to somewhere in the tank. This will have all the info to give to hamby. Call them up. They will help you out.
If not just get a regular threaded nipple welded on.

mainebackswoodssyrup
01-30-2024, 07:51 PM
Yes, thanks. I think he figured out what fitting/adapter we need. He is going to call them tomorrow. Diameters must run on OD? Need to make sure cause it’s no returns. And the fitting is $103 plus shipping :lol: No wonder dairy farmers are having a hard time! Here’s my $500 tank and $200 in fittings:o

BAP
01-31-2024, 05:42 AM
There was someone on one of the maple facebook groups that was selling adapter fittings they make for milk tanks a month or two ago. I think they were out of New York somewhere.

mainebackswoodssyrup
01-31-2024, 07:13 PM
Well Hamby helped him figure it out and we ordered the fitting. Also found out that the sample valve we have that came with the tank is $600 for a rebuilt one and $1200 new. Planning to mount it in the new sugar shack as an example of how to make money in syrup……get lucky :lol:

wnybassman
02-01-2024, 06:28 AM
Well Hamby helped him figure it out and we ordered the fitting. Also found out that the sample valve we have that came with the tank is $600 for a rebuilt one and $1200 new. Planning to mount it in the new sugar shack as an example of how to make money in syrup……get lucky :lol:

I bought two small milk tanks this past summer, a 200 gallon and a 140 gallon. They both came with heavy duty valves, and all the round lid covers. I paid a $100 each for the tanks. It certainly helps to get lucky. lol