PDA

View Full Version : Data help

TheNamelessPoet
01-24-2024, 10:21 AM
I THINK this is the right section :-p

So, I want to do a little data collection. I have 35-40 trees, that I tap with a total of about 50 taps. I used the saptapapp last year for totals, however I was thinking I want to get some MORE data. I am getting tags to hang on each tap. Here is my question…
Does anyone know the best way to be able to scan a tag, whether it is a barcode, QR code, or NFC tag? I am putting 1 on each tap, and marking the outside of each bucket every CM (I know I know, a TON of work) or I’ll bring a stainless 18-24” ruler (not preferred) to measure. I have figured out the calculations already based on OZ per CM and taken the tapered bucket into account. I don’t mind using my phone to scan each one, I just do not know how to easily add it to a sheet without manually going to each line while I am in the woods.
Kind of want to be able to convince the guy who’s house I tap at, that we should do a vacuum and I think showing him the data may help.
I also am just interested in collecting data with the weather, Barometric pressure, Temps, humidity, all that stuff. Probably will amount to nothing, but I like doing that kind of data stuff. I would not consider it if I had many more taps, but I feel like it may be worth it, just for the fun of it. I can look at data like that while I am boiling this season.

berkshires
01-24-2024, 02:13 PM
I THINK this is the right section :-p

So, I want to do a little data collection. I have 35-40 trees, that I tap with a total of about 50 taps. I used the saptapapp last year for totals, however I was thinking I want to get some MORE data. I am getting tags to hang on each tap. Here is my question…
Does anyone know the best way to be able to scan a tag, whether it is a barcode, QR code, or NFC tag? I am putting 1 on each tap, and marking the outside of each bucket every CM (I know I know, a TON of work) or I’ll bring a stainless 18-24” ruler (not preferred) to measure. I have figured out the calculations already based on OZ per CM and taken the tapered bucket into account. I don’t mind using my phone to scan each one, I just do not know how to easily add it to a sheet without manually going to each line while I am in the woods.
Kind of want to be able to convince the guy who’s house I tap at, that we should do a vacuum and I think showing him the data may help.
I also am just interested in collecting data with the weather, Barometric pressure, Temps, humidity, all that stuff. Probably will amount to nothing, but I like doing that kind of data stuff. I would not consider it if I had many more taps, but I feel like it may be worth it, just for the fun of it. I can look at data like that while I am boiling this season.

Don't forget to measure sugar content from each bucket when you collect. ;)

I actually do track data for all my trees (down to the 1/4 gallon, not down to the oz). I have a map that tells me the number of each tree I collect from, and as I'm collecting I write down the stats for each tree, and then transfer it to a spreadsheet when I get home. I do this because I'm kind of anal, but also because I have way more trees than I want to tap. So I keep stats on how well each tree does (volume of sap and sugar percent). Helps me figure out just the best trees to tap.

GO

wobbletop
01-25-2024, 09:17 AM
Something I haven't done but have been thinking of doing, is using a handheld luggage scale to measure each bucket. I figured it would be simpler than trying to measure the height of the fluid in each bucket. I can easily go from weight to volume. The weight of the empty bucket would be constant and could be removed from the measurement.