PDA

View Full Version : Last 2023 Batch Finally!

Andy VT
01-16-2024, 04:44 PM
I finally finished up my 2023 syrup!
Figured I might as well video it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogILoF9odgI

Not a lot to it but I think the info per minute is pretty high! (i.e., its short!)
Andy

ScottT
01-16-2024, 06:31 PM
Very nice. Question: I was thinking about building a filter stand similar to yours. How long does it take the syrup to go through the filters? Second question: Do you remove pre-filters as they become clogged?

Andy VT
01-19-2024, 09:31 PM
ScottT,
Sorry for the delayed response! I was out of town and forgot my technology!
Funny you should ask about the filter... I originally intended to make a video of using the filters but life got in the way and this is all I got for footage so I went with it!
The answer is that the syrup which was somewhere between 1.5 and 2 gallons (I don't know exactly because I still haven't bottled it. Just keeping it cold in a cooler which is easy to do this time of year!) took about 45 minutes total to get through the filters. There was not much waste. But, yes, I did end up pouring the first prefilter into the second, and eventually the second prefilter into the main filter. I'm not sure I actually had to do this, but I did. Sometime I'll experiment with not doing that and see what happens. If it gets totally stuck, can always spoon out sugar from the filters and add it to the next batch.
Andy

ScottT
01-21-2024, 06:11 AM
Very helpful. My "partners" (uncle and brother) want to do the finishing at our sugar shack this year. I've taken it home in the past because we don't have power or running water out on our property. I'm looking for an easy set up for the filters. No talent for building things, but I think I might see if I can pull something like this together for this year. Thanks for the insight.

Gord
01-21-2024, 07:53 AM
I have a similar stand as Andy VT. I filter my syrup hot, when my hydrometer tells me it's done. I put a couple pre filters in too. The only difference is, I reach down to the bottom of the filters and pull up the center, sort of like making a hat. Now I pour in the hot syrup. When it starts to slow down, I pull one pre filter, then the other pre filter when it slows down again. When it starts slowing down again, I push the center of the main filter all the way down so the syrup is going through clean filter material.
The filter is large. This way you're using more of it than just the bottom, and it filters much faster, and at the temperature you want to bottle it at.

Andy VT
01-21-2024, 08:14 AM
I like Gord's method.
I didn't use it in this case because I had almost 2 gallons and thought the shape would collapse, but I might try it in the future.
Gord, have you found your method works with a 2 gallon batch?

Meanwhile, see the recent "How to use ALL of a cone filter" thread regarding the "Cone Filter "Optimizer" Wire Rack - Round"
At some point I might give it a try, but like Gord said, you can do without the optimizer too.

Gord
01-21-2024, 10:50 AM
I like Gord's method.
I didn't use it in this case because I had almost 2 gallons and thought the shape would collapse, but I might try it in the future.
Gord, have you found your method works with a 2 gallon batch?

Meanwhile, see the recent "How to use ALL of a cone filter" thread regarding the "Cone Filter "Optimizer" Wire Rack - Round"
At some point I might give it a try, but like Gord said, you can do without the optimizer too.

I have not tried it with 2 gallons Andy. Not because I didn't think it would work, but my operation is so small, I've never had 2 gallons to run through it. I have run over a gallon without any problems though.