PDA

View Full Version : Hot water/storage from preheater

DMF
01-08-2024, 08:04 AM
We just got a hood and pre-heater for our evaporator and I'm looking for suggestions on how I can collect and utilize the hot condensation from the set-up. We have a 2x6 evaporator so a 4' hood/pre-heater.

ecp
01-08-2024, 11:42 AM
For something that size I would recommend a 55-gallon plastic barrel. Build an elevated platform so you can fill 5 gallons buckets from a valve on the bottom and use it wherever you want. Don't forget an overflow at the tippy top for those long run nights. We used this method for years without any issues. I think it all depends on price point because an insulated bulk tank is great, but that's a higher price point.

Brian
01-08-2024, 07:53 PM
We run the pre heater water into a gray 100 gallon rubber maid tub.That works good to wash the filter press plates in and what ever we want to wash. The hose hooks in the drain from the pre heater to run the water in. At the end of the night we unhook the pipe from the pre heater to the drain and empty the tub.

johnallin
01-09-2024, 09:03 PM
Like Brian, I also run a hose from the drain on the steam hood down to a 35 gal horizontal tank.
The water is always hot and good for general cleaning of hydrometers and draw-off cups...
But, if the flue pan flares up and rises up and spills into the gutter on the hood - the condensate can get kind of funky with defoamer and isn't something I like to use for anything in direct contact with my syrup.
It's certainly handy, and makes Lots of hot water, I just have issues with the scum in the flue pan getting mixed in...maybe I need an automatic dispenser for my defoamer?

DMF
01-10-2024, 06:43 AM
Like Brian, I also run a hose from the drain on the steam hood down to a 35 gal horizontal tank.
I just have issues with the scum in the flue pan getting mixed in...maybe I need an automatic dispenser for my defoamer?

Well, this brings up another question. Now that we have the hood and pre-heater, we won't be able to see when the pan wants to foam over which seems to happen at least once or twice per year. Most of the time we catch it in time but not always. An automatic dispenser seems good, but when we attended the grading school in October, we were told that excessive defoamer can cause off-flavors so having something that only works when needed would be best. Does anyone use the cups that hang into the back pan at a set level? Do they work in time to prevent an overflow of foam?

Brian
01-11-2024, 12:52 AM
I have an auto defomer I use after every thing is up and going. It is set to adds a drop every 10 sec. or so into the float box. I still have to add a little every 10-15 min. I have not ever had the foam get high enough to mix with the pre heater water but could see how it could happen pretty easy.

mainebackswoodssyrup
01-11-2024, 05:58 AM
We use defoamer cups in our 2x6 and it works well. 2 in the rear pan (1 a little higher than the other) and one in the middle channel of the syrup pan. For us, that's all it takes during the boil but it probably depends on the combo of how long of a boil/percent concentrate you are running for how much foam you get.
For preheater condensate if you can't get gravity to work with you, a furnace circulator pump works well. Used one of those in a past larger operation to get condensate to an elevated 300 gallon poly tank then made a garden hose connection on the outlet to clean with. That's probably overkill for the amount of condensate you'll be generating but it worked well.

johnallin
01-11-2024, 06:05 AM
I have an auto defomer I use after every thing is up and going. It is set to adds a drop every 10 sec. or so into the float box. I still have to add a little every 10-15 min. I have not ever had the foam get high enough to mix with the pre heater water but could see how it could happen pretty easy.

Brian,
What make auto defoamer are you using? My flue pan will take off without warning and dump into the hood gutters. Never considered an auto dispenser but I am now.

DMF
01-11-2024, 09:16 AM
We use defoamer cups in our 2x6 and it works well. 2 in the rear pan (1 a little higher than the other) and one in the middle channel of the syrup pan. For us, that's all it takes during the boil but it probably depends on the combo of how long of a boil/percent concentrate you are running for how much foam you get.
For preheater condensate if you can't get gravity to work with you, a furnace circulator pump works well. Used one of those in a past larger operation to get condensate to an elevated 300 gallon poly tank then made a garden hose connection on the outlet to clean with. That's probably overkill for the amount of condensate you'll be generating but it worked well.

Great info! How high did you pump the water to the poly tank? Did you use a check valve in the system anywhere?

mainebackswoodssyrup
01-11-2024, 10:45 AM
This was on a 4x15 evaporator so the preheater was over our heads. Copper tubing run to side of the tank then up the tank. Those 300 gallon tanks must be about 7' tall? Ran it into the top of the tank and in. Not sure if there was a check valve. Did have some type of quick connect fitting at the circulator to drain the lines at night. Its actually still all plumbed in the shack. Maybe I can get some pics next trip up, just not sure when that will be.

DMF
01-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Nice, thanks. I wonder how much condensate my set-up will produce?

RileySugarbush
01-11-2024, 05:00 PM
We use a HVAC condensate pump to get our collected hot water up to a 35 gallon tank overhead. From there it is fed to a stainless sink/faucet for general cleanup. Since we don't have any running water at the sugarhouse this has been a big help.

Brian
01-11-2024, 07:23 PM
https://www.zoro.com/ldi-industries-reservoir-oil-1-pint-rdf109-04/i/G2168634/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping%20feed&utm_content=free%20google%20shopping%20clicks&campaignid=19725397640&productid=G2168634&v=&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA44OtBhAOEiwAj4gpOecIRR-fKym3hvNDbI13bBYLJDEBW6BQphcRE778YabBCLaljgo3jxoCd yAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

That is what it looks like. I bought it from Goodriches Maple Farm

johnallin
01-11-2024, 09:29 PM
Thanks.
Will look into that system.

Brian
01-12-2024, 02:05 AM
The only problem with it is that if you leave defoamer in it. It will keep dripping if you dont tighten the needle valve at the end of the boil. The other thing is like defoamer is in the bottle it clots up and gets thick so the next time you boil you need to take a couple hot clean clothes to put around it to get it going. I have a splash cover over my float box so I mounted it there. When i get done boiling I take off the splash cover off and set it on its side so I don't need to tighten the needle valve and it clots up on the side. The next time i boil i add fresh hot defoamer it it and of we go. The best plan is to try to plane it to be empty when done boiling. I hope this makes sense.

Brian
01-12-2024, 02:09 AM
The one i have has a needle valve on the top to adjust the drip flow. It is alittle different than the one in the pic.

Brian
01-12-2024, 02:12 AM
https://www.zoro.com/ldi-industries-reservoir-oil-1-pint-rdf109-04/i/G2168634/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping%20feed&utm_content=free%20google%20shopping%20clicks&campaignid=19725397640&productid=G2168634&v=&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA44OtBhAOEiwAj4gpOecIRR-fKym3hvNDbI13bBYLJDEBW6BQphcRE778YabBCLaljgo3jxoCd yAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds looks like this one

Brian
01-12-2024, 02:18 AM
I found the one that looks like mine and corrected the links, I am not very good at computers or typing

DMF
01-12-2024, 07:07 AM
We use a HVAC condensate pump to get our collected hot water up to a 35 gallon tank overhead. From there it is fed to a stainless sink/faucet for general cleanup. Since we don't have any running water at the sugarhouse this has been a big help.

Hi John this is great info. We don't have running water in our sugar shack either. I looked up condensate pumps and they aren't that expensive. This will work with hot water OK? How much hot water does your 2x8 produce?

DMF
01-12-2024, 09:55 AM
I looked into condensate pumps as suggested by John above and it looks like (the ones where I've found specs on so far) are only rated for 140 degrees. How hot does condensate get?

toquin
01-12-2024, 12:25 PM
Hot! 200 deg. We save 2-3, 5 gal. buckets dump the rest

VT_K9
01-30-2024, 08:58 PM
After some upgrades when we added a pre-heater, we had an extra 100-gallon SS tank, and the water was always hot during boiling. I think you could find any decent container to make do but try to find something food safe.

Mike

1arch
02-08-2024, 09:44 AM
The steam away on my previous rig produced lots of condensate which we plumbed into an old water heater. This was nice for saving warm water for cleanup the next morning.